Built a deadly arrow!

I changed things up a bit for the 2012 season. Built a pretty deadly arrow I suspect.

Easton Axis with with a 150 grain VPA three blade steered by 4 flex fletch flash vanes (hot pink). Total arrow weight 488 grains.

Last edited:

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
that sounds like one heck of an elk setup, should be some awsome penetration, what speed are you shooting it?

OP
justin davis
Here are a couple of pics. Not sure how fast I am shooting. Don't have a chronograph. Shooting a New Breed Eclipse

DSC_4864.jpg

DSC_4862.jpg

DSC_4487.jpg

OP
justin davis
The Vpa's are flying really good. They are a super tough head. I switched to a 300 spine axis arrow. Years past I was shooting carbon tech arrows with 125 grain heads. I think this arrow will penetrate pretty nicely on anything in its way. Now wether that be an elk or a tree stump. I can't say haha

PhillyB

WKR
Couple questions...
How did you fletch four vanes? Was it on a bitz or something similar?
Why four vanes?
What's the advantage over three vanes?

Just curious... Never really seen a 4 vane setup

Nice build Justin!!! No wrap???? :)

You should try playing with 6 fletch!!! I fletched my field and 3D arrows up this year with 6 1.5 Fusion vanes to do some playing before season came around.

OP
justin davis
I fletch them 4 fletch with a 90 degree using a bitz jig. Very easy to use.

The reason I shoot 4 vanes is that I have found them to be more forgiving then a 3 vane arrow set up. Esp. when shooting shorter vanes 2 inch or 3 inch vanes. I have done personal testing on 3 vane vs 4 vane and have found the 4 vane arrows to steer broadheads better and to be more accurate than 3 vanes.

Evan- I haven't tried 6. Might have to give it a go

I get lots of strange looks when I show up with 6 vanes but playing around I just built them and started shooting them. Been shooting them for 6 weeks now for field and 3 years for Turkey hunting and my bow is tearing 3/4" left on my tune ( just checked today :) ) and I am throwing 1" groups at 70 this afternoon!!!

PhillyB

WKR
I get lots of strange looks when I show up with 6 vanes but playing around I just built them and started shooting them. Been shooting them for 6 weeks now for field and 3 years for Turkey hunting and my bow is tearing 3/4" left on my tune ( just checked today :) ) and I am throwing 1" groups at 70 this afternoon!!!

Do you have pics? I want to see what a 6 vane arrow looks like

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use 4 fletch as well.... I seem to have better groups at longer distances with 4 fletch, straight clamp and a good amount of offset.

I shoot a 4 blade Wacem or T lock heads and get great arrow flight (490 grain arrow @ 304 FPS).

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Aron what vanes are you using? I thought about puting some four fletch blazers on and testing them I'm shooting a four blade head as well

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for new arrows for a CO sheep hunt I will have to play with four vanes and see how I like it.
I will take any advice on arrows for this hunt.

OP
justin davis
As far as arrows I have shot carbon tech arrows for years. Currently trying Easton axis arrows. Both are good choices in my book