Built my new Heiniken wood stove

OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
I'll definitely keep everybody informed as I use it more and definitely after I bring Home the sniffer from work and make sure everything is good on it. After I thought of this I actually did a YouTube search in Seen other people had made them out of beer kegs and hopefully all those people are still alive.

Graves14

WKR
Lots of guys use the smaller ones as ultra light mugs et al. Regularly boiling water and drinking from them.

This is an awesome use and something I might have to try out.

Nice work!
Pat

colonel00

WKR
Lots of guys use the smaller ones as ultra light mugs et al. Regularly boiling water and drinking from them.

Yep but those are aluminum. I agree that caution should be advised until you know if there is any off-gassing. I build smokers out of 55 gallon drums. While some drums are food grade, they actually have a liner that can be quite nasty when heated too hot. Same concern with galvanized metals.

Blazer, Very cool. Well done.
Like your attitude about eaze of rebuild.
Hell... I think you should consider building 2-3 and use them as short term cashe cans for scouting trips. Stuff with unused supplies, slip in a sil-bag and run it up a tree limb. Keep it away from trunk so the bears can't get at it. Short term storage.

Question: how does the door latch work?
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
Blazer, Very cool. Well done.
Like your attitude about eaze of rebuild.
Hell I might even consider building 2-3 and use them as short term cashe cans for scouting trips. Stuff with unused supplies, slip in a sil-bag and run it up a tree limb. Keep it away from trunk so the bears can't get at it. Short term storage.

Question: how does the door latch work?
Hunt'nFish

The latch works with a #10 all thread coupler, with a short piece of all thread abs a little latch I made out of the sheet metal I used for the door. I takes some pics of it tonight and post them, with how the legs connect and everything.

OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some more info a a few more pics for the guys that asked.
Material list
5 liter beer keg
1-4' stick #10 all thread ( 4-5.5" legs for stove)
5-#10 all thread couplers
#10 crush washers
#10 machine nuts
20-25 demel cut off wheels
1-stainless hinge
Stainless rivets
1- 2'x2' 22gauge sheet metal (door,air intake and cap for back of stove)
Stove pipe parts from TIgoat
5.5' or what ever length titanium pipe 10" to make a 2 3/8 pipe
Damper
Stove Pipe cables 1 per 12-18"
Spark arrester
End ring

The bottom of the keg is where I put the door. It's flatter and doesn't have the tap part.
I'm pretty ghetto so I used a cool whip container and chew can to trace out my circles
Bottom edge of the cool whip container made the circle for my stove opening in the keg and I used the top of the container to make the door, that gave just enough overlap for my latch to catch on the keg. I popped out the tap area on the top of the keg and cut another circle and Popriveted that over the hole, hopefully the pics show the rest. I also put a extruded metal grate in the bottom of the stove to help keep to much heat off the bottom, I'll see if that helps with longetivity of the stove bottom. Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
Pic of the circle covering the tap opening
w6waj7.jpg

OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
The latch .I had to weld the latch to the all thread. Just a small shot with my wire feed.
kdwiv4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
The couplers where my legs attach these are used with a small 1/2" long piece of all thread attached on the inside with crush washer and machine nut.
2mhhs2h.jpg

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
You do nice work.
Staying with the same theme here's one I made about 8 or so years ago.
I used a Colman fuel can, put a sorta baffle in it. Worked good and was cheap. (Don't need the baffle)
No longer use it and have many other versions.
Stove making is pretty entertaining......
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Hope this is not hijacking the OP ? If it is let me know, just thought it went with the homemade theme.
Here's another from about 8-10 years ago. It actually works very good and is light and only cost about $25-30 to make minus the stove pipe.
I hate to post it because the galvanized police will get me, but it is made from galv. tin flashing.
I made a bunch of these of all sizes.this was one of the earlier ones .....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
Blazer0290

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
I definatly don't think your high jacking the tread, I think it's awesome to see others ideas, keep them coming!!