Bulk Ammo

WKR
What is reasonable to expect out of bulk ammunition? In my new aspiration of learning rifle techniques, I took out my Browning .22 and did some shooting. To say that the accuracy was unimpressive would be an understatement. 100 yards was somewhat challenging and while I'd like to say it was me, I think the rifle/ammo was the biggest part of the equation. I can shoot my big rifle (m70 300 wsm) much more accurately than I could the little .22.

That got me thinking about the bulk 5.56 I recently purchased. It's the 62 grain federal 5.56 ammo, 1k rounds, bulk. How accurate is it reasonable to be with a tikka bolt .223 and said ammunition?

One think Form mentioned is that a person should get the .223 tikka, swfa 6x, and 1k rounds of MATCH ammo in order to gain the skills necessary. Is the bulk 5.56 ammo going to completely invalidate the process and produce frustration???

I realize that rifles like different cartridges and that's a major factor, but Tikka seems to be more consistent than most.

If the bulk ammo is going to be a disaster, I might just sell it instead and use the $ towards appropriate tools and materials, ie match grade ammo.

wildcat33

WKR
Cheap 22 ammo is notoriously bad, which is why match shooters run the high end stuff that has prices near centerfire. Try something like CCI standard velocity or norma match and see how that goes. Also in play, is that 22 guns tend to be "cheap" because for some reason people think they should be, so barrel quality suffers.

You might as well test the stuff you got before you sell it. Federal CAN be good, or really bad, they make all grades. Shooting cheap bulk 556 I wouldn't be surprised to get groups in the range 4-6". I had a colt 6920 that wouldnt do better than 6" with bulk ammo. Tikka 223s are usually very accurate, you will get out what you put in.

OP

WKR
Cheap 22 ammo is notoriously bad, which is why match shooters run the high end stuff that has prices near centerfire. Try something like CCI standard velocity or norma match and see how that goes. Also in play, is that 22 guns tend to be "cheap" because for some reason people think they should be, so barrel quality suffers.

You might as well test the stuff you got before you sell it. Federal CAN be good, or really bad, they make all grades. Shooting cheap bulk 556 I wouldn't be surprised to get groups in the range 4-6". I had a colt 6920 that wouldnt do better than 6" with bulk ammo. Tikka 223s are usually very accurate, you will get out what you put in.
The issue here is that I bought the ammo without a 5.56 gun, thinking I'd use it for practice. BUT, if the ammo is 4-6" ammo, it defeats the purpose... If that were the case, I might get the 6.5c instead and I'd have a gun I'd practice with AND hunt with, with it being not terribly much more $$$.

wildcat33

WKR
I should also say that's just a worst case. If the ammo shot 1-2" that might be perfectly acceptable for your practice regime. I occasionally shoot PMC in my Tikka 223 and groups are in that 1-2" range, with the occasional wild flier. If you shoot enough to get a statistically valid zero, then I don't see why you couldn't bang away with it and learn something.

Reactions: 307

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, you're gonna be pretty much stuck with what you have at the moment I'm afraid. Ammunition is nonexistent on the market right now, especially if you want to find 1k rounds of match ammo for anything. Good 22 rifles exist, but they cost as much as custom centerfires. Are you working on your form with the 22? Trigger control, breathing discipline etc? You can always shoot that 22 at 50yds or even closer to work on technique. If you have an average 22 shooting average 22 rds, why shoot at 100yds and be pissed at the results?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Btw, you will have ZERO problems moving that 1k rounds of bulk ammo if you do decide to sell it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
We were shooting some of the .223 (not 5.56) American Eagle stuff (which may also be similar enough to the Federal 62gr stuff you have) the other day out a friend's rifle. It was boringly accurate out of a Ruger American. Often hovering at or less than 1" groups on a windy day.

Last edited:
OP

WKR
We were shooting some of the .223 (not 5.56) American Eagle stuff (which may also be similar enough to the Federal 62gr stuff you have) the other day out a friend's rifle. It was boringly accurate out of a Ruger American. Often hovering at or less than 1" groups on a windy day.
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Agree with above, cheap 22 lr is wildly inconsistent.

I have a 223 bolt gun and a scoped ar. They both shoot garbage surplus and steel Russian 223 well enough to train. Groups are not s tight as good stuff but these days you gotta take what you can get.

Blaw

WKR
I should also say that's just a worst case. If the ammo shot 1-2" that might be perfectly acceptable for your practice regime. I occasionally shoot PMC in my Tikka 223 and groups are in that 1-2" range, with the occasional wild flier. If you shoot enough to get a statistically valid zero, then I don't see why you couldn't bang away with it and learn something.

which PMC are you referring too? I believe they have the heavier stuff and lighter. in the X- TAC box?

I would be interested to hear someone with knowledge of the difference in manufacturing process weigh in.

Is bulk ammo made by robots/machines?
Cheaper components used?
Training ground for inexperienced employees?
Some combination of these and other factors?

My experience has been exclusively with rimfire, but I have yet to find any ammo that shoots poorly (>1.5 inches at 50 yards) out of my CZ 452. CZ has a great reputation for making quality rimfire rifles, and contrary to what was stated they don’t even come close to custom center fire cost wise.

I bought a Ruger American Ranch for my 223, but haven’t jumped into ammo yet just due to cost/availability currently. When I buy my ammo - I won’t buy 1000 rounds - but I plan to buy at least 10 different varieties and sell off what doesn’t shoot well. I would imagine the 1000 round bulk thing would be frustrating if it doesn’t shoot well. But at least now you could resell easily.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
the 62gr 5.56 by Federal and now as of very recently Winchester is built at the Lake City Ammunition plant. (government facility ran on contract by commercial ammo companies) It is the exact ammunition used by the Army just extra contracted to sell to civilians. Same with the 55gr 5.56 from Federal and up until recently the American Eagle 55gr FMJ ammo.

Hornady also has their 5.56 and some .223Rem ran there.

It carries around a 3" 100yd specification. I have no idea why guys think standard issue mil spec ammo is supposed to shoot MOA.

I shoot a ton of American Eagle and have never had any issue. The .223 jacket hollow point shoots basically one hole groups form my bolt gun and 3/4 MOA from my AR.

Bump on this thread I am in a similar spot can only get 55gr Remington or federal AE bulk ammo. @Formidilosus can you offer any advice on if a tikka 223 with lower grade ammunition is still beneficial to shooting practice?