Bull down 30 Nos 220 LRHT

I was fortunate to fill my tag this morning with my newly built 30 Nosler, and... it was with the newish 220 Berger LRHT.
MV was 2975, I shot him at 300 yards at a -30 degree angle.

The bullet entered rear liver, and passed through under the offside scapula lodging in the fur in his chest.
He made it about 30 yards and swayed a few times before going down.
Edit to add: this was after the 2nd shot which I failed to mention in my original post, I hit him the first time in the same spot and he ran a bit then stood there for awhile until I sent another one in.
The wound channels overlapped and I only recovered the one bullet shown.
Apologies for the information oversight I posted this immediately after and was still excited from the hunt. End edit.
The bullet opened beautifully and also held together well, the recovered portion weighed 118 grains.
The lungs were shredded nicely, I've been Berger hesitant for awhile but I'm impressed
* update 11-22

20211011_202957.jpg20211011_203015.jpg20211011_204801.jpg20211011_205444.jpg

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting! We seem to be seeing more evidence that the hollowpoint may not be initiating expansion like we thought. I have shot several animals with Berger vld's and hybrids over the years where I found broken off tips in the animals where the point was undisturbed. Always made me wonder.

I have a buddy that used the 220 about a week ago to take a black bear at 1,330 yards launched from a RUM. Velocity on the animal was in the 1800fps range. He hit a rib going in and saw about a 2" exit. He was very happy with the terminal performance.
4931573fbbda283fc844b3df6727ee39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a #'s perspective, what is appealing about the 220? It has the same BC and very close in bearing surface to the 230H so i wouldn't think you could push it that much faster and the 215 isn't far behind in BC but has a notably shorter bearing surface.

BC consistency? Performance looks good so far. I know other pointed bullets have performed well but the main rub was doing it consistently I.E. there was a lot of variance shot to shot in how they fragmented at impact.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Very interesting! We seem to be seeing more evidence that the hollowpoint may not be initiating expansion like we thought. I have shot several animals with Berger vld's and hybrids over the years where I found broken off tips in the animals where the point was undisturbed. Always made me wonder.

I have a buddy that used the 220 about a week ago to take a black bear at 1,330 yards launched from a RUM. Velocity on the animal was in the 1800fps range. He hit a rib going in and saw about a 2" exit. He was very happy with the terminal performance.
4931573fbbda283fc844b3df6727ee39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I've heard a few others report that the nose of the LRHT basically caves in on itself which initiates expansion more reliably than a hollow point filling with liquid to expand outward.
Its good to see your report of expansion at 1800 fps, time will tell but I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far
From a #'s perspective, what is appealing about the 220? It has the same BC and very close in bearing surface to the 230H so i wouldn't think you could push it that much faster and the 215 isn't far behind in BC but has a notably shorter bearing surface.

BC consistency? Performance looks good so far. I know other pointed bullets have performed well but the main rub was doing it consistently I.E. there was a lot of variance shot to shot in how they fragmented at impact.
Initially I wanted to shoot 230s but they were completely unattainable so I bought 4 boxes of the 220s for testing.
I've used the 215’s once on a bull, and 2 shots just penciled through.
I moved away from them after that.

Based on my experience loading 230s in a 300 NM (2930 hit pressure with Retumbo) I don't think there's any way I could get the velocity with them that I'm seeing with the 220 lrht.
2975 with H1000 from a 24" barrel is pretty fantastic in my opinion.

I also have some 245s that shoot fantastic at 2825 with the same powder.
I might play with those next season just for fun.
I have an extra doe tag this year so I plan on using the 220 again, I have a beautiful field to shoot into were it'll be about a 700 yard shot.
I'll be sure to add my results

Initially when I was testing loads and expansion out to 1200 yards I compared bullets that were drilled to those that weren't.
I found zero difference in expansion so decided to skip the drilling.
What’s your testing method?

I’m shooting the 135gr .257 LRHTs, so far 3 antelope and a mule deer buck killed with excellent performance from 275 out to 495 yards. I did drill the tips but curious what your testing methods are because it did seem to affect BC slightly

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Thanks for the feedback on the LRHT, I know I've had great results with the 220 in my RUM. Granted I only have 3 kills with them so not a lot of data but they've done great for me so far
I'd like to hear about your kills with the 220s from your rum, MV or impact velocity, range and species.

What’s your testing method?

I’m shooting the 135gr .257 LRHTs, so far 3 antelope and a mule deer buck killed with excellent performance from 275 out to 495 yards. I did drill the tips but curious what your testing methods are because it did seem to affect BC slightly
Its pretty basic I shoot into saturated clay loam soil.
This method has proven pretty dang accurate for me though in demonstrating reliable expansion.
Its the reason why I won't be using 195's anymore, I've had several just banana over and fail to expand at impact velocities around 2200 fps.
I haven't had a single failure to expand with the 220s that were undrilled at impact velocities as low as 1500 fps

I'd like to hear about your kills with the 220s from your rum, MV or impact velocity, range and species.

Its pretty basic I shoot into saturated clay loam soil.
This method has proven pretty dang accurate for me though in demonstrating reliable expansion.
Its the reason why I won't be using 195's anymore, I've had several just banana over and fail to expand at impact velocities around 2200 fps.
I haven't had a single failure to expand with the 220s that were undrilled at impact velocities as low as 1500 fps
195EOL 7mm I assume? Are you drilling them?

Yep
And nope, maybe it would help but I've been hearing enough reports of them doing that on game to where I don't even want to try
I’ve only used them on 2 deer and 2 elk but all animals were recovered and furthest one went was probably 20 yards. I have started drilling all the tips and have noticed some are plugged with polishing media and some seem to have jacket material in them. Others have been fully clean though.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Any other updates on the LRHT terminal performances? Looking at picking some of the 208's up at a LGS. I just really don't want to mess around with drilling them, at that point I will get the 200.20x's at the LGS

Tullis94

WKR
2 antelope with .284 190 LRHT. First one was at 300 yards 2nd one was around 600. Can't remember exact yardages. Performance was what you would expect from a berger. I did make sure the tips were clear with a very small drill bit that opened the tip very minimally. I usually do that with the bergers I plan to hunt with anyway.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Any other updates on the LRHT terminal performances? Looking at picking some of the 208's up at a LGS. I just really don't want to mess around with drilling them, at that point I will get the 200.20x's at the LGS
I shot a buck last month at 530 yards with a 220 lrht and it expanded perfectly