Bull Elk Growling?

3forks

I’m not new to elk hunting, and have been pretty successful in my career.

This past week was great, and I was into elk every day, and saw no other hunters. The bulls were fired up and bugling early on the week and I had a lot of small bulls come into my calls. I had seen a big 6X that I wanted to kill, and had a couple of chances and went to full draw once at 30 yards, but he needed to take a couple more steps before I could shoot.

Anyway, a day later I was back in the area to see if I could get on the bull, but I see what I’m nearly certain is him, his cows, and a couple of small bulls about 600 yards further down in a flat. While I’m watching them and figuring out how to move towards them, I hear a growl coming from below me. I’ve heard an elk growl before, but this growl was happening every few minutes. I haven‘t heard an elk growl consistently like that, and at one point, I hear a bunch of coyotes howling in the same relative area. I hear no other bugles or cows during this and it’s about 5:30 in the afternoon.

To make a long story shorter, I don’t get on the 6X that night, and the next day they had moved on to private.

I go back to the area I heard the growling (2 days later), and I hear the same growl but not as consistent. This time, I hear a farting noise once or twice and it’s coming from the same area as the growl did.

I eventually move towards the growl, and hear some movement from where I think it’s coming from. I‘m careful with the wind, make a cow call every so often, but hear no other growls or elk sounds. The cover this growl was coming from is on a steep hill in a swampy aspen and willow stand with some jack straw logs. It’s impossible to see more than a few yards into, and moving into the cover is almost impossible.

I back out, and never do get a look at whatever was in there.

I wondered if maybe someone arrowed a bull and it was sick and bedded in that cover. Maybe the growl was to keep the coyotes I heard off it?

So, what was in there? A bull? Bigfoot? Bad elk caller who had Mountain House the night before?

IdahoElk

Bulls growl, bulls make all kinds of weird noses especially when they are in the mood and chasing cows around.

Wrench

I had a bull growl at me from about 5 yards.....behind me. That was the last time I completely lost my composure.

I SWORE it was something with sharp teeth.

Ive had bulls make a sound EXACTLY like you whispered as softly as possible "hey hey hey!"

They have TONS of vocalizations that you have to see to believe.

AaronMColeman

I hid under a tree one day for about an hour from a grizzly elk. I later called the grizzly elk in and completely screwed the set up and he ran to the east coast somewhere. I've also heard them whisper. Nothing about elk sounds shocks me anymore, I feel like one is going to say "hey dumbass, why do you keep squeaking into that long thing attached to your mouth?"