Bull Jealousy

I'm not sure if this is a question, complaint, observation, or just me b*tching.

I live in the units I hunt. I go out every morning and evening that I have free. I see tons of elk, have gotten on a good number, drew my bow on several, drew my rifle on several more, and 29 days into the season (archery 15-30 September, and rifle 1-31 October), I have no elk in the freezer. Not complaining here, I've had tons of great experiences and opportunities and spent some wonderful time with some of my best friends.

But, this last week I can think of 4 people who I know who just showed up from out of town, spent at the most 1 evening and 1 morning hunting, and shot bulls. 2 raghorns, 1 really nice 6x7, and 1 monster 7x7. I'm getting jealous, and feel like all the work I put in should pay off :) Some of them never even left the truck except to shoot the bull right on the road. AND, they are hunting the same places I have been putting the miles in on. AND, I'm no pro, but a couple of them are essentially first time/casual elk hunters.

I'm getting "bull jealous" and it's not a pretty look on me...I'll shoot the first legal raghorn that walks by!

A lot of elk hunting is you having a lucky day and an elk having an unlucky day. Welcome to the club, I’m a guide and I put clients on bulls constantly many times day 1 or 2 and I’ve had them pass bulls or cows I would have loved to take to fill my freezer. Then I get my few days to hunt and can’t even see an animal haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
A lot of elk hunting is you having a lucky day and an elk having an unlucky day. Welcome to the club, I’m a guide and I put clients on bulls constantly many times day 1 or 2 and I’ve had them pass bulls or cows I would have loved to take to fill my freezer. Then I get my few days to hunt and can’t even see an animal haha

haha, figures! Bow or rifle, I won't pass on any legal bull. I'm just having a pity party this weekend.

I saw that nice 6x7 during archery season but couldn't get him into shooting range, now I'm jealous someone else got him.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting "bull jealous" and it's not a pretty look on me...I'll shoot the first legal raghorn that walks by!

This phenomenon is real. Happens to even the best elk hunters. As life progresses, I feel that you can do everything right and put in your time, but you definitely need some luck to be on your side. Some seem to have far more than others...

LostArra

WKR
A lot of elk hunting is you having a lucky day and an elk having an unlucky day.

I'm saving that !

My elk hunting buddy and I drive together but hunt solo. He usually gets it done on Day 1 and I'm on the last day. We joke that I actually get to enjoy more hunting.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Man I feel you this year. I was in position where I thought I was going to get a shot everyday except one this year but came up empty (hunted 16 days archery). I kept telling myself just keep having good encounters and it will come together but it just didn't happen this year. Pissed me off every time I saw a NR with a bull in the back of his truck.

bsnedeker

WKR
I feel you brother! I've been an out of state hunter for a number of years and never could punch an elk tag. This year I moved to Montana and scouted my ass off and figured this would be my year...I had one blown opportunity on a raghorn that I would have loved to take home. I'm now seeing all of these out of staters come in and kill massive bulls and, while I'm happy for them, it's driving me crazy!

Good news is I've got rifle season coming up and shoulder season after that so I'm still convinced this is going to be my year, but man I really wanted to get it done with my bow. Oh well, there's always next year!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
This reminds of s story from navy seal training I heard a guy tell on some podcast. He said that the days the squad did best during buds they would come out the next day or next exercise and it was often the hardest and most brutal days of training, because the officers wanted to instill in them that on the battlefield you can do everything perfect to a T and someone can still get shot or blown up or a mission can still go south because that’s life in battle.
Hunting is kinda the same way I feel on a much smaller scale obviously, but you can hike as hard as you can, and keep the wind perfect not make any noise, do all the right calls, but at the end of the day it just takes some luck and everything won’t go your way.
Keep getting out there and glassing and hunting hard, it only takes 1!

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Yep, luck of the draw... the hunter is at the right place at the right time, or the elk is in the wrong place at the wrong time!
Happens with deer and pronghorn too. I feel bad about it, but sometimes it is hard to feel that some guys don't deserve it. They don't put in the sweat equity like some do, but then that is how the cards fall. No matter how much you do your homework and how hard you work at it, the hunter and the prey have to be at the same place at the same time... and sometimes that is 50 yards from the road or off the back of an ATV.

I know what you mean, i have been on several hunts where i wish i had taken down a certain bull/deer in some cases. but is all sports and there's always a next time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's elk hunting!

I don't get jealous over what other's shoot, but I do stew at times over the ones I screwed up or should have made better moves on. But again......that's just elk hunting. If I killed a bull on every opportunity, it would get boring and my seasons would only last a few hours.

Put the time in and things will happen. As long as people aren't hunting over the top of me, their actions or success don't affect me.

I shot a bull opening day of my tag last year and spent most of a week sitting in camp. First time doing that in my life, and while I'm happy with the bull, not having a tag to hunt the rest of the week kind of sucked. If success means a notched tag, I see how jealousy can be an issue. If success is being out there, enjoying your time, then you had a better season than the guys that just roll in for a day or two and head home. Choose whatever perspective you like, it's entirely up to you to do so.

That's elk hunting!

I don't get jealous over what other's shoot, but I do stew at times over the ones I screwed up or should have made better moves on. But again......that's just elk hunting. If I killed a bull on every opportunity, it would get boring and my seasons would only last a few hours.
The only time i had issue with hunting bull was on a public land and i hit a bull another hunter previously hit and there was commotion everywhere but i let him have it. it was really big with a huge horn.

Last edited:
OP
A
To be clear, I'm friends with all of these people, and have no problem with them taking the bulls...I just wish it was me! But, if I'm honest, it does bother me some that I put in work and others don't and they get what I want. That's life though.

None are out of state, just don't live right here in town.

Also, to be clear, I'm not even jealous of the monsters they shoot...I'll shoot any legal bull and be ecstatic! I'll keep putting in the work and maybe the elk gods will smile on me one day!

Maybe I sound bitter. I'm not, I just really want a dang bull!

Here's the thing about those types of scenarios. It probably won't happen every year or even every 3, 4, or 5 years for those "lucky" people who shoot one near the Truck, on opening morning, or a massive 6x7 for their first bull. So let them have their day while you continue to build your skillset toward being one of the people who consistently gets opportunities every time out. Over time you will have the most rewarding experiences vs the dude who got lucky that one year.

To be clear, I'm friends with all of these people, and have no problem with them taking the bulls...I just wish it was me! But, if I'm honest, it does bother me some that I put in work and others don't and they get what I want. That's life though.

None are out of state, just don't live right here in town.

Also, to be clear, I'm not even jealous of the monsters they shoot...I'll shoot any legal bull and be ecstatic! I'll keep putting in the work and maybe the elk gods will smile on me one day!

Maybe I sound bitter. I'm not, I just really want a dang bull!
I honestly dont think there's any wrong with wishing you were the one who shot the bull, i mean you went to hunt with high hopes of getting into an adventure and being a part of something special. better luck next time buddy.

OP
A
I honestly dont think there's any wrong with wishing you were the one who shot the bull, i mean you went to hunt with high hopes of getting into an adventure and being a part of something special. better luck next time buddy.

More first world problems: I live in the unit I hunt so I still have until the end of the month. Plus I still have a deer tag, doe antelope tag, and a late cow tag in my pocket. Things could be worse :)