Bull or cow elk poop ?

Elite

WKR
I have never seen elk poop clumped together like this before? Seems very common around this area. Wondering if it’s cow or bull? I am thinking bull? Any tips on how to tell?

d85fdfe410b97de4b05416d003e370dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6c3d3227b7a4bc8bd888a5adf0dcc57a.jpg

Depends on freshness. Drag one across your tongue, and if it leaves a streak it’s a bull.

I haven't ever cared what it looked like, but always stuck my finger in to see how fresh it was.

I know a guy who uses it on his cheeks like that fancy sunblock baseball players use. Don't know if it's a cover scent deal or just being one with the quarry.
Seems to work tho.

Poser

WKR
You must come from the Whitetail camp who insists that there is a discernible difference between buck poop and doe poop because “bucks bed down more” and have firmer poop.

Anyway, elk poop can look different depending on the moisture content of what they are eating which results in pellets vs clumped. Cow vs Bull? Same as whitetail, can’t distinguish sex by looking at poop.

From Thomas and Toweill’s seminal work North American Elk: Ecology and Management, bulls tend to have one side tapered and one dimpled. This can vary based on forage species and moisture content. Forage with higher moisture content will result in clumped or aggregate scat, diets comprised of more coarse forage or dried grasses will be more peletized. Again, not foolproof, but that tends to be the trend. It can go both ways. I too have noticed this over the years observing elk and collecting scat as a wildlife biologist. Get your scat collection going. My colleagues give me hell over the bags of poo in my office. I’ll keep collecting.

Poser

WKR
From Thomas and Toweill’s seminal work North American Elk: Ecology and Management, bulls tend to have one side tapered and one dimpled. This can vary based on forage species and moisture content. Forage with higher moisture content will result in clumped or aggregate scat, diets comprised of more coarse forage or dried grasses will be more peletized. Again, not foolproof, but that tends to be the trend. It can go both ways. I too have noticed this over the years observing elk and collecting scat as a wildlife biologist. Get your scat collection going. My colleagues give me hell over the bags of poo in my office. I’ll keep collecting.

Ok, fine. But you should at least acknowledge that you are the exception and that the average arrow slinging’ flatbill wondering around the mountains of the west is not ever gonna be able to tell the difference cow and bull poop with any credibility or authority.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always been of the thought that bigger animals make bigger poop. That being said, big cow elk make big poop. Focus on the tracks around the poo more than the poo itself and you’ll be able to gain more information on what it is. I find it is just thought provoking out in the elk woods and a good debate to have with your hunting partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that term “Flatbill” . This must me the segment on the YouTube videos posting up and not paying the forest service their dues

Laramie

WKR
This time of year it doesn't matter- because if you found cows, you have found bulls.

That said, there is a 90% (or so) chance that is cow elk poop.