Bullet (7mm) choice for close range black bear

Scottyboy

WKR
I am looking for any advice on a bullet (factory loaded) that would be good on a black bear at 40-50yds. My worry is at that range the velocity of my 7mm will be around 2950fps?? And don’t want to pencil through the bear, should a shot present itself.

I will be primarily using my bow as most stands will be 15-20yds from the bait, but there will be a few stands a rifle will be more advantageous to use, so I will be bringing both along.

I’ve never hunted bear before and this tag took me 4 years to draw, so dotting my i’s and t’s before the great state of Minnesota will give me another tag in a few years 🙄

Most any bullet isn't going to "pencil through" at that velocity and range. I would just use a cup and core bullet, as long as it isn't light for caliber and it will be fine. Killed lots at that distance and never had a Hornady interlock not exit. Lots of damage with behind the shoulder shots.

I've whacked a couple animals at shorter range (<50 yds) with 7 mm. I don't know if there's a bullet that is more appropriate, but I will suggest staying away from any part of the animal you plan on eating 😂... 7 mag is no joke on an animal at that range.

KineKilla

WKR
Shot me a black bear using my 160gr Accubonds this spring. 2,945fps hand loaded and chrono'd.

Shot was 16yds. It did great. Double lunged him and had a decent enough exit wound that he died quite quickly. Only walked about 15-20yds total from the bait site...and he wasn't walking there quickly. More like falling down and crawling.

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
Appreciate all the replies! Looks like I was maybe over thinking my choices/options. feeling even better if I decide to bring my rifle to a stand 30yds from the bait! 😀