Bullet advice

willtim

WKR
I have a friend headed to CO for third season elk. He is an experienced whitetail hunter but first time elk. He shoots a .308 150 grain Fusion. Is that an adequate bullet? Recommendations? Thanks

Yup that’ll do.

Some guys will say 180g and up for elk. I think any .308 bullet will be fine (assuming expansion etc.). I about 165/167g simply because that’s what my rifle shoots best.

Keep in mind the bullet and rifle’s limitations and stick to that. A150g fusion will be absolutely fine out to 400y maybe further but that’s all I shoot.

Adequate, Yes. There are obvious better bullets that will perform better in terminal ballistics. Confidence is best in known components. So, if that is the ammo that he shoots and the rifle shoots them well, then buy him a box and hint at a couple elk steaks upon his return.
If there is time and he wants to try something a little better (and you can find them) then try the Federal Trophy bonded tip in 165, the Federal loaded 165 Accubond or the Barnes TTSX 150's.

TX_Diver

WKR
A buddy shot a cow with the fusion at about 20 yards a few years ago with no issues, he used a 7mm-08.

It wouldn't be my first choice but there are worse choices out there. Just make sure he is reasonable with the ranges and shot angles etc. (which really goes for any bullet/caliber).

Laramie

WKR
As others have mentioned, they will work but there are better choices. At .308 velocities, I like premium bonded lead bullets in the 165 grain class. Hornady interbond, Accubond, Partition, Federal trophy, etc.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Bearlodge. A 150gr bonded bullet isn’t a terrible choice but a 150gr-165gr monolithic or 165gr-180gr bonded would be better. It’s adequate, better than a 150gr cup and core (which can of course still kill elk)

Great responses. 150g Fusion would not be my 1st choice. But it'll do with no problems.

I'll reiterate what others have said, unless you are shooting something woefully inadequate, I think confidence in a round you have experience with will offset any advantage you get from moving to a "better" bullet.

I shoot Sierra GameKing tipped 165g, and sometimes Nosler etip 100% copper 167g. But if I had a box of 150g Fusion, I'd not hesitate to take them into the field too.

So, long story short, since time is probably an issue right now, I'd stick with the 150g Fusion since it's a round you know well. If I had time to work up a load and shoot 50+ rounds at a range, I'd look for something along the lines of a tipped accubond in 165 or so and shoot until I was confident in that round too.

Tell him to focus more on shot placement. Bc that’s honestly what kills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. I've killed elk with my 30-06 just as dead as my hunting buddies who shoot 300 win mag and 300 ultra mag. ((not saying the 30-06 can hang with those rounds at all distances, but at 400y which is my elk range, a good shot from any of those will kill them just the same))

It's perfectly adequate as long as he keeps his shots reasonable. If it's what he's use to, I wouldn't change it at all. Are there better bullets? Maybe, but it's a 308 win, and there's a ton of bullets that work great at the velocity that cartridge is capable of. Personally my 308 gets fed 165gr Interlocks because they're cheap, my rifle shoots them well, and any I've ever recovered you'd not be able to tell the difference between it and a bullet that costs twice as much.

In that cartridge 150gr is a nice weight to use bonded bullets if you don't want the cores to separate from the jacket like a Berger would at closer ranges. Monolithics like a TTSX also work at that weight because the velocities are high enough for reliable expansion, but they're about 2x the cost of the Fusions for terminal ballistics you'd doubtfully see any difference in.

There's some cartridges and situations the expensive "premium" elk bullets makes sense. In the case of the 308 win, all they really do is stroke ones ego that needs to say how much they spent on their elk hunt and that they had all the "best" stuff.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Monolithics like a TTSX also work at that weight because the velocities are high enough for reliable expansion, but they're about 2x the cost of the Fusions for terminal ballistics you'd doubtfully see any difference in.

There's some cartridges and situations the expensive "premium" elk bullets makes sense. In the case of the 308 win, all they really do is stroke ones ego that needs to say how much they spent on their elk hunt and that they had all the "best" stuff.
I agree with most of the post but, there is a palpable difference in monolithic performance in this cartridge especially over cup and core. I don’t know much about the Fusion but if it’s bonded it should do a good job. I’d bet on a Barnes 150 or 165 TTSX to outpenetrate it every time though.

I shot 150gr cup and core at elk for years. Pick your shots a little bit and it’s adequate, can’t argue that. But bonded and monolithic are notably better at everything. It’s not ego stroking, they are just better. On a time crunch I wouldn’t feel bad about shooting the 150 Fusion but if asked if there are better options for that game and that cartridge I would definitely say yes

But bonded and monolithic are notably better at everything. It’s not ego stroking, they are just better.
Whatever you need to tell yourself, go for it. It's your money, your ego, and it really doesn't matter to me. But that statement is enough mental flatulence for me to ever take your opinion seriously.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you need to tell yourself, go for it. It's your money, your ego, and it really doesn't matter to me. But that statement is enough mental flatulence for me to ever take your opinion seriously.
Lol, speaking of egos. I think your panties are all bunched up there, you should sort that out when you finish your tantrum

I’ve seen a lot of elk die from a bunch of different bullets. The difference in performance, to anyone who knows what they’re seeing, is clear as a goddam bell. Doesn’t mean elk are invincible or anything, or that you have to change what you are doing, or that everyone understands the difference, or that everyone who does know the difference is willing to pay a little extra for what they would gain

Gila

WKR
Great responses. 150g Fusion would not be my 1st choice. But it'll do with no problems.

I'll reiterate what others have said, unless you are shooting something woefully inadequate, I think confidence in a round you have experience with will offset any advantage you get from moving to a "better" bullet.

I shoot Sierra GameKing tipped 165g, and sometimes Nosler etip 100% copper 167g. But if I had a box of 150g Fusion, I'd not hesitate to take them into the field too.

So, long story short, since time is probably an issue right now, I'd stick with the 150g Fusion since it's a round you know well. If I had time to work up a load and shoot 50+ rounds at a range, I'd look for something along the lines of a tipped accubond in 165 or so and shoot until I was confident in that round too.
This is the first season I killed an animal with a copper bullet. It was a .270 130gr bullet that came out at about 3100fps. It went through the elk at 220 yards and dropped it. However I wasn't at all impressed with the wound channel. I can't help but think the outcome could have been different if it had been a longer shot that was not placed perfectly. I am going up to 150gr bonded core for the .270. If I was using a .308 I would go with 180 gr bonded core. IMO range isn't as important as energy transfer for elk.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have found fusions to be quality bullets. The results I've had with elk have come out similar to a partition or accubond in terms of recovered bullets. Elk are tough and I'd be hesitant on anything but a perfect broadside at reasonable ranges.

I would not. My son when he was 12 shot a bull elk at 230 yards with the same bullet. the bull was quartering away and he made a good shot, a little back but angled towards the offside shoulder. The bullet did not penetrate well at all. no significant blood trail. we followed tracks in the mud and found the bull about 400 yards bedded under a juniper still very much alive 2 hrs later. he was able to finish it off and get his first bull.

I was not impressed at all with the performance of the 308, 150 fusion combo on bulls. It works better on smaller cow elk and double lung broadsides, but when it comes to the hard angles where penetration is needed no bueno. He has graduated to my 300 wsm with copper monos and it dumps elk a lot better and farther than the 308.

I know people constantly argue over how small caliber you can go for hunting deer/elk/ etc. but the problem is when the only shot you have is less than ideal will still work? Its hard enough finding a legal bull that I'm not willing to limit the cartridge/bullet combo I have. Enough of the hunt is out of your control that I rather optimize what I do have control over!

I’ve seen a lot of elk die from a bunch of different bullets. The difference in performance, to anyone who knows what they’re seeing, is clear as a goddam bell. Doesn’t mean elk are invincible or anything, or that you have to change what you are doing, or that everyone understands the difference, or that everyone who does know the difference is willing to pay a little extra for what they would gain
I'm not interested in what elk you've seen die on your TV screen. There's plenty enough actual hunters on here that have used, Game Kings, Hot Cores, Interlocks... on game at moderate velocities to know you're blowing smoke. You're views don't affect my panties in anyway, they're riding fine and are still silky smooth against my skin. If you don't like people pointing out when you make a dumb statement, perhaps consider not making them.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha. You got me all figured out, sister

let the record show I don’t know anything about elk and that my opinion is wrong because it’s different than this guy’s opinion