Bullet choice for moose/brown bear in 300 mag

My wife shot her bull using a 200 grain Accubond out of a 30-378. The first shot grazed his neck and knocked him out and second shot killed him instantly. I wouldn't us anything else on a moose or bear. View attachment 150954
If you could repost this in every thread where a grown man wants to know what we think about his plan to use a creedmore as a 1000 yard Elk gun that would be fantastic.

Congrats to your wife on a great kill!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

If you could repost this in every thread where a grown man wants to know what we think about his plan to use a creedmore as a 1000 yard Elk gun that would be fantastic.

Congrats to your wife on a great kill!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My dad always said, "You can never kill anything too dead." His deer rifle was a 7mm and his elk rifle was a 375 H&H.

Don't over think it. Moose go down like sacks of bricks if you put it in the boiler room, they are big but die much easier than caribou or even mountain goats. The first 4 moose I ever shot were with a .243 putting out 100 grn Remington Core Lokts, all died within 10 feet of where they stood. When I acquired my .300 win I took another 5 with 180 gr Remington Core Lokts. Yep, cheap ol' Remington core lokts. Luke has helped me turn this gun into something that can take things out at range now, so I am currently using handloaded 212 gr Eld-x, but the last few moose have been taken within 300 yards. The Eld-x worked fine, not great weight retention but lungs were turned into a pile of jelly each time.

jb@work

FNG
For our 2021 hunt, my brother and I are setting up our moose hunting rig as follows:
300 RUM with either 190 gr Barnes LRX or 200 gr Nosler Accubond (whichever shoots better).

We know the RUM may be bigger than needed for Moose, but it allows us a little extra horsepower for self protection in the event we run into an unwelcome Griz.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My buddy worked up an awesome load with a 220ELDx and 4831SC, I'm a big fan of 200g bullets, I like the 200g ELDx, partitions and accubonds.

A few years ago, I killed my moose with a 150g federal blue box out of my 30-06, I had moved to a new area and figured I wouldn't even see moose, parked the car and walked through a clearing with my wife. Sure enough, we got to the clearing and a bull was standing broadside at like 70yds and didnt even see us.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For our 2021 hunt, my brother and I are setting up our moose hunting rig as follows:
300 RUM with either 190 gr Barnes LRX or 200 gr Nosler Accubond (whichever shoots better).

We know the RUM may be bigger than needed for Moose, but it allows us a little extra horsepower for self protection in the event we run into an unwelcome Griz.

Bigger than needed sure but I think you can justify a larger caliber when it comes to moose. For awhile I was in the "you don't need a big gun for moose" and I still dont think you NEED a big gun for moose but I also dont see any harm in using one. This year I used a 375HH with 260g accubonds I loaded up. Thats going to be my go to from now on. The effect that bullet had on that moose compared to my 06 was noticable. I'm sold on it.