Bullet Count Question

Article 4

WKR
Didn't see this addressed in the threads.

Question: When building a custom rifle and finding your desired load, how many bullets do you buy once you do to ensure you can run it how you want at that load?

I have a rationale and recommendation that works for me; interested to learn what you all do

Hnthrdr

WKR
Never had a “custom” rifle, but it have some expensive factory guns. Don’t reload yet, when I do maybe I can justify a smith building me a custom gun. For any new rifle I pick up 4-5 different know decent loads, a box each. Figure out what the rifle is shooting the best and then buy 300-800 rounds of that at a time

Really depends on the caliber and how much its going to get shot.

I just ordered another 2k for one of the 223's. But for the big boomers 200-300 is plenty for me.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
I align to in a custom rifle that I plan to reload

Magnums, buy about 1000 bullets +/- and the corresponding components and powder. That is about the bbl life I expect to get. Usually 150 to 200 pieces of brass depending on caliber.

On non magnums, comp and fun guns of smaller calibers, I generally buy enough to run the bbl out 1800-2500 depending on caliber. Again, with corresponding components and powder.

There are usually re-validate points in each bbl life.
IME big magnums happen about every 400 rounds - dpending on how hot and hard you run them
Non magnums usually as soon as I see any deviation from the <.25 MOA i try to achieve in load testing (dont always get exactly that but try) I tend to run them harder and faster so monitor re validation a bit more stringently

Factory ammo, whatever you are comfortable spending $$$$ on - factory ammo is better than it has ever been but the quality control is random compared to hand loads so buying a bbls worth is not as much of a factor

Firestone

WKR
Depends what rifle for me. If it's a hunting gun usually 500 at a time. If it's a gun that gets a lot more shooting i will by a thousand or more. There for a while I was buying 105 hybrids when ever i had a chance, and however many the website would allow. Seems like components are coming back a little though. And berger got a machine dedicated to 105 hyb so that helps

Last edited: