Bullet design for modest hunting distance on all game

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Given the above, I would highly recommend reading this entire thread to learn how bullets work in tissue- 223 for bear, deer, elk, and moose

Once you read it in its entirety, you will have a much better understanding of terminal ballistic facts.
That is the definitive thread to describe killing.

15 animals over 5 years using Berger behind the shoulder and I will never shoot anything else. Nothing went over 50 yards, most stood there thunderstruck until the stumbled and tipped over.

There may be a reason to use a tougher bullet, but for my hunts I would never change.

My goal is to destroy their lungs and make a blood trail unnecessary. Exits are unnecessary.

OP
E
Once in a lifetime Arizona hunt. Loved it.
Wow man, that is fantastic. I did a little digging and the most likely chance I'll ever have to hunt buffalo is in Custer for a non trophy tag. Expensive but it's something I really want to do in my life

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I don't reload, but my dad does!

I have a couple boxes of the tbt and I'm going to test them out on paper this weekend to see what my gun likes best at 300. Do you have any animals down with them? I love the concept but haven't killed anything with them yet.
As of yet no, not in the .308, but in the 30-06, yes. It's a great all around bullet. I also have friends that use that bullet in a couple of different calibers and not one has any complaint about it.

OP
E
That is the definitive thread to describe killing.

15 animals over 5 years using Berger behind the shoulder and I will never shoot anything else. Nothing went over 50 yards, most stood there thunderstruck until the stumbled and tipped over.

There may be a reason to use a tougher bullet, but for my hunts I would never change.

My goal is to destroy their lungs and make a blood trail unnecessary. Exits are unnecessary.
I would agree with all of your points until the exits are unnecessary piece. Thick brush makes it dang hard to find animals that aren't bleeding. I hate doing circles ground searching for animals in the dark. I need a blood trail to feel warm and fuzzy about my ability to find them. Call me a sissy, but that's what I need for where I hunt.

BBob

WKR
We’ve been using 168 & 175gn SMK’s in 308’s for 30+yrs from javelina to elk. Easy to get to shoot, easy to find to buy, not as expensive as some premium bullets but best of all bores beautiful holes through things and generally leaves them quite dead.

OP
E
We’ve been using 168 & 175gn SMK’s in 308’s for 30+yrs from javelina to elk. Easy to get to shoot, easy to find to buy, not as expensive as some premium bullets but best of all bores beautiful holes through things and generally leaves them quite dead.
I've never heard of them! I will have to look them up. Do they come factory loaded in anything for me to try?

BBob

WKR
OP
E
SMK=Sierra Match King. I’ll bet you’ve heard of them. Many besides Federal load them as well.
Indeed I have. Just didn't put the pieces together! Thanks

Ever use the game kings or just the match kings?

BBob

WKR
Ever use the game kings or just the match kings?
I loaded the GK for a friend for many years for his 308. He killed a bunch of Coues deer with them. Pretty sure that’s what he still uses in that rifle. With a little work we got his plastic stocked Win Mod 70 to shoot well with them and I can’t remember any negative performance on any deer he shot with them either, they just died. Both of us use our old 308’s for kids, wives, new hunters.

Rich M

WKR
165 gr Core lokt is all that is necessary

150 partition is no slouch and is the one that exited. It also flattened the deer. Thats how they work.

The 165 accubond or ballistic tip is also a good all around bullet. They have the exact same outer skin shape and ballistics.

I was very impressed by 180 partitions in my 30-06. I’ll either Be using them or 200 gr terminal ascents in my 300 wsm this year. Depending on which shoots the best

OP
E
165 gr Core lokt is all that is necessary

150 partition is no slouch and is the one that exited. It also flattened the deer. Thats how they work.

The 165 accubond or ballistic tip is also a good all around bullet. They have the exact same outer skin shape and ballistics.
I had very different experience with most with core lokt bullets. I'm 100% certain they work. I just am looking for something a little different.

I didn't know the AB and BT had the same exact shape, that would explain why my rifle shoots them so similiary!

I really should give partitions a go. If they had a poly tip I'd snap them up in a heart beat bur for some reason, I perceive them to be less accurate. Totally wrong I'm sure, but that's always been my perception

OP
E
I was very impressed by 180 partitions in my 30-06. I’ll either Be using them or 200 gr terminal ascents in my 300 wsm this year. Depending on which shoots the best
Dang, maybe I should look more closely at them. My dad loaded me 3 dozen 150 grain partitions and I haven't hardly shot them... I'll dust them off and see how my gun likes them!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
All good questions, I too am a dirty meat hunter who likes to eat shoulders lol.

I don't rifle hunt deer much since I'm really a bowhunter. I have only recently tip toed into rifle hunting for myself. For the past 4 years, I have taken my wife, her dad and my dad who come up rifle hunting. Most often my deer tags are filled by rifle season with my bow (again, I'm also a dirty meat hunter who loves to eat.... so doe patrol is my jam) in general most of the shots are close close. Thick timber, treestand or ground blind hunting for white tails at ranges up to 100 yards. The only deer I've shot over 100 was the big doe with my grandpas rifle (30-06) that I mentioned above, and that was the only one with an exit. All of the others shot with my 308 (used by whoever needs a rifle) have not had exits. My wife's buck two years ago was 17 yards through the liver and back of the lungs and did not exit. Thankfully we found it before the falling snow covered it up. Her antelope last year was through one shoulder and did not exit, the bullet was under the hide on the other side. Her deer last year had no exit either, but that was the same bullet a 7mm08 120 grain ttsx and she again toasted one shoulder. She hugs the crease tight and I'm not going to tell her otherwise... lol

I have only hunted antelope out west, but will be taking my dad and wife with the rifles next year for elk. More than likely cow elk, but we will see what happens with all of the tag situations. I would like to rifle hunt more, and I will in the coming years.

So knowing more about how I use the rifles, what would change in your advice?
Load the 120 TTSX hotter to about 3,000 fps and go slay some cow elk.

OP
E
Load the 120 TTSX hotter to about 3,000 fps and go slay some cow elk.
I don't know you, but I think we could be best friends lol. Based on your name I'm gonna guess you are a gentleman who likes rifles in the 7mm vintage?

My next rifle is going to be a 7rm. No idea why but I need one. Love my wife's 7-08. That thing is a pure joy to shoot and carry. Light and incredibly easy on the shoulder, and it balances and points like it is meant to "slay" all kinds of game.

Your bullet choice is fine. If you go for a meat saver shot your animal is much more likely to run.
If you aim for the Hilar plexus or high shoulder you will quickly anchor game or DRT.

I favor bonded or monos. Less meat loss IMO and I don't worry much about fragments in the meat.

Edge TLR (now Terminal Ascent) I harvested 3 mule deer bucks (my son took 1). 2 were DRT. My meat saver shot this year the deer ran maybe 100 yards. Exit hole was golf ball size. Lost zero meat. Had I put that bullet in the hilar plexus, heart, high shoulder, it would have been DRT. Shot placement is the most important.

Bottom line, if you hunt long enough, strange scenarios will play out, perfect shot with unexpected results. Sometimes poor shot placement with a quick kill. It will happen no matter how much you prepare/plan.

Rich M

WKR
I had very different experience with most with core lokt bullets. I'm 100% certain they work. I just am looking for something a little different.

I didn't know the AB and BT had the same exact shape, that would explain why my rifle shoots them so similiary!

I really should give partitions a go. If they had a poly tip I'd snap them up in a heart beat bur for some reason, I perceive them to be less accurate. Totally wrong I'm sure, but that's always been my perception
I think you’re right w the partitions. They’ll shoot about an inch for me but wasnt able to tighten them any further.

It all come down to what makes us happy. W supply issues, ive not been able to get my fav bullets in about 3 years. Have a replacement, just need to make the time to work up a load.