Bullet Failure?

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with what’s been said already. That’s about normal for the impact velocity.

The bullets on the left side of the Barnes are 165 accubonds from a 30-06 started at 3000 fps. All were from 300-400 yard shots and were recovered under the hide on the far side. They range from 113-118 grains.

1603205d5deb9516cd1251b67055bf74.jpg

The one second from the right is a 140 accubond from my .270 and I can’t remember the final weight.

That Barnes started at and still weighs 180.0 grains.

Yes. They kill faster. Retained weight is not a measure of lethality… quite the opposite, all else being equal higher retained weight means less tissue destroyed. Less tissue destroyed, longer animals live/travel.
A long consistent wound channel has the most opportunity to coincide with the vitals, a bullet that expands and dumps weight and energy on entry tapers to a smaller wound channel as it traverses. On a broadside shot the animal is not going to know the difference other than a big difference in meat damage, IME. If it's an angle shot where the bullet has to make it through part of the animal to get to the vitals, it's up to each individual to choose what they are comfortable with to do the job.

Having taken animals from pronghorn to elk, an expanded bullet through the vitals whether it's cup and core or a mono, kills them all the same and none run any further than another on average. However, I know which ones give me the most opportunity for the most likely successful shot, for a variety of shot angle presentations.

There are different choices because as has been said, there are different views on how we all want terminal performance.

Jmgates09

FNG
Not sure you can just through a blanket statement of "they kill faster". I have shot 90% weight retention bullets, 60%, and Bergers which is a coin toss what the hell they are going to do. I have noticed no difference in time to death from any noticeable standpoint on dozens and dozens of animals. Some flop dead, some run, some stand there, etc.

To the OP...60 ish % is normal for the Accubond at those ranges. As the bullet slows down at longer ranges weight retention should go up. On most mono bullets like the TSX you will be floating around 100% retention but generally have a narrow operation window for that bullet to expand so longer ranges are no advised. High B.C. bullets will have generally better flight characteristics than low B.C. bullets at longer ranges. IN NO WAY does this mean out of your rifle they will be more accurate or any rifle for that matter. Also, B.C. has really nothing to do with terminal performance.

If you want something in between something like a Swift Scirocco, Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, or Federal Terminal Ascent will have around 80-90% weight retention.

I wouldn't have a problem shooting an elk with that combo.
All 3 he named are great Norma bondstrike is ok too but the TA is the best all around hunting bullet to me