Bullet for elk and oryx

GKPrice

Banned
Are your loading yourself or buying factory ammo?

The two best penetrating bullets I've used in my 7 mag are A-frames and Failsafes, but neither are boat-tail bullets so LR accuracy and consistency isn't the best. Barnes makes some great bullets as well, but the only one I've used in my 7 mag isn't made anymore.....the 160gr MRX.

I've used a bunch of 175gr Partitions and they shoot and work well too, but they do shed that front end.

as said above, "they do shed that front end" ... Partitions and Accubonds are DESIGNED to do just that, I'd have supposed that everyone would have read John Nosler's historical story of how the Partition bullet came to be - I seriously doubt there is much, if any, "long range" shooting for plains game in Africa - Use A-frames and forget about it ....... In NA Partitions and Accubonds will get your job done (but "I" would use A-frames if I was hunting big bears)

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I got a box of Barnes Vor-tx 160s and a box of Federal Premiums tipped with Partitions, also 160gr. I'll see which one the rifle likes more.

My 7mm RM Tikka is going on an elk and oryx hunt this fall. I plan on switching bullets to a premium bullet for the oryx, which I have heard is notoriously hardy. I'm thinking Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, or Barnes TSX. Probably 160-168gr and a maximum distance of 600 yards. Any recommendations out of those three and any others I should consider?

My wife killed her oryxs with 257wby and 80gr ttsx. All 100-200 yards. Vitals are more further forward then most American animals and spine is a little lower.

Don't over think it. When I think tough I don't think the oryx family. I think nilgi, now those are tough.

Last edited:

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ What he said. I can't speak for Oryx but I've killed a handful of bull elk, a moose, handful of antelope and deer all with 140gr Nosler Accubond with zero problems. The only bullet I was able to recover (everything else was pass through) was on the moose and it had excellent weight retention. A partition tip would be a good choice too I just don't like lead tipped bullets for potential long range as the tip can get deformed or marred.

LaGriz

WKR
Good Read!

Have had good results with 160 gr. Fail Safe loads in my 280 Remington. All shots were close on 4 bulls taken (3 by me and 1 by a friend) with this load. Never recovered a bullet. Two were one-shot kills, two took follow up shots that in one case might not have been needed. Broke shoulder bones on two of the bulls. The exit wound looks like a 4-blade broadhead passed thru the animal. These rounds were sold in the Winchester Supreme line of ammo and have not been available since the late 90's. I'm down to my last 1 1/2 boxes of these darling nickel plated cartridges . Anyone seen a box or 2 these on the back shelf of their local gun store? A hand loader who stumbles on these bullets could do much worse.I think the velocity thru my 22" barrel was 2805 fps. IMHO this bullet would stand up to higher velocities and be great elk medicine in any 7mm Rem mag, WSM, STW, SAUM or the like. I think the E-tip has some features of the Fail Safe incorporated in it's design.

More bullet than you might need for deer? Made my best off hand shot (in tall grass) with this combination on a Montana Muley. Took out his heart at 175 yards with another pass-thru that caught little bone. The buck staggered and fell with in 30 feet of being shot. Good accuracy resulting in little meat damage.

Have since found a Federal 160 Grain factory load that shoots lights out in my 280 Rem Mt. Rifle. This 160 Gr. Accubond Federal offering is now also discontinued. Dam the luck! I have no experience to date shooting elk with this load. So far have recovered two bullets on three small bodied whitetails that did not travel far after being well hit. Very accurate, producing the tightest groups in the 20+ years I have owned the weapon. With shot placement being the biggest factor in a clean kill, I suspect it would be fine. For the big boned Oryx, it might not be the best answer.

LaGriz

GKPrice

Banned
Good Read!

Have had good results with 160 gr. Fail Safe loads in my 280 Remington. All shots were close on 4 bulls taken (3 by me and 1 by a friend) with this load. Never recovered a bullet. Two were one-shot kills, two took follow up shots that in one case might not have been needed. Broke shoulder bones on two of the bulls. The exit wound looks like a 4-blade broadhead passed thru the animal. These rounds were sold in the Winchester Supreme line of ammo and have not been available since the late 90's. I'm down to my last 1 1/2 boxes of these darling nickel plated cartridges . Anyone seen a box or 2 these on the back shelf of their local gun store? A hand loader who stumbles on these bullets could do much worse.I think the velocity thru my 22" barrel was 2805 fps. IMHO this bullet would stand up to higher velocities and be great elk medicine in any 7mm Rem mag, WSM, STW, SAUM or the like. I think the E-tip has some features of the Fail Safe incorporated in it's design.

More bullet than you might need for deer? Made my best off hand shot (in tall grass) with this combination on a Montana Muley. Took out his heart at 175 yards with another pass-thru that caught little bone. The buck staggered and fell with in 30 feet of being shot. Good accuracy resulting in little meat damage.

Have since found a Federal 160 Grain factory load that shoots lights out in my 280 Rem Mt. Rifle. This 160 Gr. Accubond Federal offering is now also discontinued. Dam the luck! I have no experience to date shooting elk with this load. So far have recovered two bullets on three small bodied whitetails that did not travel far after being well hit. Very accurate, producing the tightest groups in the 20+ years I have owned the weapon. With shot placement being the biggest factor in a clean kill, I suspect it would be fine. For the big boned Oryx, it might not be the best answer.

LaGriz

those Fail Safes are/were awesome - your comparison of Etips to them is interesting as I've always figured Nosler made the FS, they've collaborated with Winchester on at least a couple of other bullet projects - I'd use a heavy for caliber Accubond if I ever hunted ORYX and could not have an Aframe, GS or the like and not really be worried (just careful)

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed 2 oryx with my 7RM to date. 1st was with a 160 Accubond at about 75ish yards and the second was at about 100 with a 162 ELD-X. Shot the 1st one in the neck, DRT, 2nd was quartering to me and put it through his chest and out the offside shoulder, DRT. If you weren't already aware, the vitals are more forward and lower than north American game animals so have to shoot just above where the leg meets the body.