Bullet for elk and oryx

TheCougar

WKR
My 7mm RM Tikka is going on an elk and oryx hunt this fall. I plan on switching bullets to a premium bullet for the oryx, which I have heard is notoriously hardy. I'm thinking Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, or Barnes TSX. Probably 160-168gr and a maximum distance of 600 yards. Any recommendations out of those three and any others I should consider?

GKPrice

Banned
My 7mm RM Tikka is going on an elk and oryx hunt this fall. I plan on switching bullets to a premium bullet for the oryx, which I have heard is notoriously hardy. I'm thinking Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, or Barnes TSX. Probably 160-168gr and a maximum distance of 600 yards. Any recommendations out of those three and any others I should consider?

Nosler Etip and Swift AFrame are candidates for the desired bullet "toughness" although of the etips I have tried the 150/284's have given "me" the hardest time for getting to shoot well - the Barnes TTSX I'd also consider - if you try Partitions give the 175's a whirl too, Warren Page said that was the perfect choice from his 7mm Mashburn

If you choose the barnes you need to step down in weight to increase your speed as a trade off you retain almost 100% weight so the partition, accubond and others will quickly weigh less. I would add the Swift Scirocco II to that list if your rifle likes them. 600 might be a bit far for the partition but only shooting will tell. Hammer bullets makes some great options as does Peregrine Bullets both mono metal. 145is Barnes LRX, Hammer or Peregrine would be hard to beat. Accubond and Scirocco II for traditional designs.

Why do I need to step down the weight or increase the speed for the Barnes?
Because they retain 99 percent of their weight, and require 1800-2000 fps to open. TTSX is an amazingly tough bullet... load up some 150-165ish bullets around 2900-3000 fps, and it will be perfect for elk and oryx.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Got it, so it has to do with minimum 1800 fps for proper function? Thanks, that is good info to know. The vor-tx is the same bullet, just in cartiridge form right?

GKPrice

Banned
Got it, so it has to do with minimum 1800 fps for proper function? Thanks, that is good info to know. The vor-tx is the same bullet, just in cartiridge form right?
Ya, I believe that's correct - I'm no ballistics engineer but when an Accubond or Partition "sheds 30-40% of its weight on impact I believe that is what the maker planned for it to do - the only thing I know about ORYX is from a review on the "Black Talon" (or whatever those bullets we can't get anymore) did on ORYX - Monolithics work for sure but you can't change from one style to another and "expect" the same terminal performance - Bergers seem to kill like Thor's hammer but I'd sure hate to find out that ORYX are too tough for them the "hard way" .....

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
What about hornady interlock or interbonds? Those Barnes and accubonds are expensive!

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
What about hornady interlock or interbonds? Those Barnes and accubonds are expensive!

Interbonds are a great bullet but I'm not sure they're still making them, the new ELD X is "all that" right now but the website makes no mention whatsoever about them being a bonded core, Interlocks ? I wouldn't but you'll most likely get a few that say they are ok for elk, don't know but ORYX ? .... don't think it would be wise - Hornady GMX is a good bullet I've read

Go to the Nosler Pro Shop website and keep a watch for "seconds", that's all I hardly ever use any more

efnm

WKR
I've killed a whopping one oryx and recommend you shoot them in the shoulder as they can run far when they are supposed to be dead. I'd also go with the Barnes, like I did, and go down a step in weight as advised.

bhylton

WKR
If you have sticker shock check out the speer grand slam. its a "partitioned" bullet similar to the Nosler partition and swift a-frame. the a-frame being a bonded bullet in addition to partitioned. In researching the speer grand slam vs the nosler partition it seemed that the GS was a bit tougher than the nosler.

GKPrice

Banned
If you have sticker shock check out the speer grand slam. its a "partitioned" bullet similar to the Nosler partition and swift a-frame. the a-frame being a bonded bullet in addition to partitioned. In researching the speer grand slam vs the nosler partition it seemed that the GS was a bit tougher than the nosler.

I agree with that but the GS nose is very blunt, 600 yards "MIGHT" be pushing it - Great killing bullet though

chops24

WKR
My oryx was killed with an 180gr SST at 842 yds. Good shot placement is most important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooperjd

WKR
i'm a fan of barnes, but have some accubonds for my 7mm to test out this year.

my PH in africa cannot understand why americans shoot the partition. he said they all hated that bullet with a passion, and it is responsible for more lost game over there than any other bullet (don't shoot the messenger, i'm just repeating what i was told). i mean he, and the others in camp, HATED that bullet. i've never shot one, so i have zero experience with them. he shot barnes bullets out of his personal rifle. he likes the a-frame as it doesnt lose such a significant amount of its mass.

GKPrice

Banned
i'm a fan of barnes, but have some accubonds for my 7mm to test out this year.

my PH in africa cannot understand why americans shoot the partition. he said they all hated that bullet with a passion, and it is responsible for more lost game over there than any other bullet (don't shoot the messenger, i'm just repeating what i was told). i mean he, and the others in camp, HATED that bullet. i've never shot one, so i have zero experience with them. he shot barnes bullets out of his personal rifle. he likes the a-frame as it doesnt lose such a significant amount of its mass.

different mind set, probably most "lost animals" were the bigger ones like Eland and such - Barnes and Swift make outstanding bullets too, also I don't think the PH's on the dark continent are much into long range hunting (but that's just an assumption) I wonder if they hate the Accubond too ?

cooperjd

WKR
different mind set, probably most "lost animals" were the bigger ones like Eland and such - Barnes and Swift make outstanding bullets too, also I don't think the PH's on the dark continent are much into long range hunting (but that's just an assumption) I wonder if they hate the Accubond too ?

Certainly possible. He also said a lot of Americans bring the partitions because we love them over here...so if you have one dominant bullet, it makes sense that that bullet will have more wounds simply out of the volume of shots taken. We didn't discuss accubonds as I recall. He did say the AFrames were a great bullet. I think they just hated the shedding of weight the partitions have and poor penetration. Especially since the vitals are farther forward and shoulder shots are more common.

My pops used the PH's .300wm and 180gr Barnes ttsx on a gemsbok and sable, both in bow range. Both broadside heart shots, neither bullet exited. That surprised me. (And the PH)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are your loading yourself or buying factory ammo?

The two best penetrating bullets I've used in my 7 mag are A-frames and Failsafes, but neither are boat-tail bullets so LR accuracy and consistency isn't the best. Barnes makes some great bullets as well, but the only one I've used in my 7 mag isn't made anymore.....the 160gr MRX.

I've used a bunch of 175gr Partitions and they shoot and work well too, but they do shed that front end.