Bullet help for alaska

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going on a mountain goat / brown bear hunt. I'm either taking a 300 rum or a prc

My concern is that a good goat bullet is not enough for a bear. And that a good bear bullet will just pinhole a goat .

I cant be the only one hunting multiple species with 1 rifle. Does anyone have suggestions for bullet type and grain? That has a solid base but will still mushroom on a smaller animal?

I also thought about my 28 nosler with 175 eldx for goat Barnes makes a 175 trippleshock could switch to bear. Swapping bullets based on animal being hunted is an option. But what a pain.

Might be open to another caliber. Bit it's a 12 day backpack hunt. I cant be carrying my big boomers that much.

Advice is appreciated.

EastMT

WKR
I would use the same super sturdy bullet for goat as bear. A frames, partition, Barnes etc, they can soak up some hits before jumping off a cliff. I wouldn’t pick solely based on BC as the deciding factor.

Plus if you a loaded for goats, you will likely run into bears up high unless you are in a high salmon run area, then probably not as many up high.

I just went on a grizzly bear hunt in August on the North side of the Brooks Range. I got the okay from the outfitter to use my 280 AI. I had been using 140 gr. Partitions in that rifle for a couple years, but I had not tried the Nosler Accubonds in it yet. I tried them and they were just slightly more accurate than the Partitions, so the 140 gr. Accubond is what I used.

I shot my bear broadside at 158 yards. I hit him tight behind the shoulder in the lungs and the bullet exited the off-side. The bear spun 180 degrees into the shot, did two tight somersaults in one motion, and was dead. That was it! He never moved an inch after that.

180 gr. Partition or 180 gr. Accubond. Either one of those would work very well as would a 168 gr. E-tip. In the end I would shoot whichever bullet my rifle shot the best out of those three. I chose the 168 gr. E-tip over the 180 because you can load it faster and it will hold together and penetrate like no-ones business. If it were me I'd try to get a load worked up with the 180 gr. Accubond first. If it shoots good then go with that. It will penetrate and expand nicely on distant shots and will penetrate and hold together very well on a close shot.

I've hunted a lot of game with the Partitions and Accubonds in different calibers, and performance on game has been excellent. My son has used a 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington and that bullet has performed wonderfully. He's shot antelope, deer, and one cow elk with that bullet. The elk was at 350 yards. Shot tight behind the shoulder and it penetrated and exited the off-side shoulder. The cow staggered about 20 yards and tipped over.

In addition I have tested Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips shooting them into gallon water jugs lined up at various distances from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards. All have performed very well, even at 25 yards were velocity was very high.

David

OP
T

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
I just went on a grizzly bear hunt in August on the North side of the Brooks Range. I got the okay from the outfitter to use my 280 AI. I had been using 140 gr. Partitions in that rifle for a couple years, but I had not tried the Nosler Accubonds in it yet. I tried them and they were just slightly more accurate than the Partitions, so the 140 gr. Accubond is what I used.

I shot my bear broadside at 158 yards. I hit him tight behind the shoulder in the lungs and the bullet exited the off-side. The bear spun 180 degrees into the shot, did two tight somersaults in one motion, and was dead. That was it! He never moved an inch after that.

180 gr. Partition or 180 gr. Accubond. Either one of those would work very well as would a 168 gr. E-tip. In the end I would shoot whichever bullet my rifle shot the best out of those three. I chose the 168 gr. E-tip over the 180 because you can load it faster and it will hold together and penetrate like no-ones business. If it were me I'd try to get a load worked up with the 180 gr. Accubond first. If it shoots good then go with that. It will penetrate and expand nicely on distant shots and will penetrate and hold together very well on a close shot.

I've hunted a lot of game with the Partitions and Accubonds in different calibers, and performance on game has been excellent. My son has used a 90 gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington and that bullet has performed wonderfully. He's shot antelope, deer, and one cow elk with that bullet. The elk was at 350 yards. Shot tight behind the shoulder and it penetrated and exited the off-side shoulder. The cow staggered about 20 yards and tipped over.

In addition I have tested Accubonds, Partitions, and E-tips shooting them into gallon water jugs lined up at various distances from 25-100-200-300-400-500 yards. All have performed very well, even at 25 yards were velocity was very high.

David
Awesome advice. The only concern via my guide is most shots are 40 to 60 yards he wants something that will stay together on bone. No problem with a 180 accubond?

Awesome advice. The only concern via my guide is most shots are 40 to 60 yards he wants something that will stay together on bone. No problem with a 180 accubond?
No the 180 gr. Accubond will hold together and penetrate. I shot one mule deer buck at about 200 yards with my 30-06 and a 165 gr. Accubond a couple of years ago. He was angled away and I hit him at the back of the rib cage on the left side. The bullet broke two or three ribs going in and penetrated to the off-side shoulder where it broke the shoulder bone. I recovered the bullet just under the hide on the off shoulder.
The tests where I shot into water jugs at 25 yards is a pretty stout test of a bullet going at top speed. I shot 90 gr. Accubonds loaded at 3250 fps into the jugs at 25 yards. They penetrated 5 jugs and were recovered in the 5th jug. Expansion and weight retention were very good. I shot other weights out of different caliber rifles too. I feel 100 % confident that they would work for you.

140 gr. Accubonds sure worked on my grizzly bear this year. Distance as noted above was 158 yards, but I also feel if would have been 40 yards, it would have worked just as well. Just as a side note, the outfitter really likes the Partitions and Accubonds when hunters show up using those bullets.

Jbehredt

WKR
The list of bullets that aren’t a good choice for mtn goat out of a 300 rumor prc is short, very short. Pick your ideal bear bullet and rest easy knowing you’re covered for both.

Reactions: Guy
OP
T

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
The list of bullets that aren’t a good choice for mtn goat out of a 300 rumor prc is short, very short. Pick your ideal bear bullet and rest easy knowing you’re covered for both.
My only issue with the prc is everything made for it has a soft bullet for long range. I talked to hornady yesterday and they said no way would they put the eldm or eldx against a brown bear bone

Jbehredt

WKR
Nor would I. Seems you’re narrowing It down. Since factory ammo is the way you’re going get some 200 gr accubonds and partitions for the RUM. Let your rifle pick the most accurate.

OP
T

Timeee123

Lil-Rokslider
Nor would I. Seems you’re narrowing It down. Since factory ammo is the way you’re going get some 200 gr accubonds and partitions for the RUM. Let your rifle pick the most accurate.
I can reload . Not a problem. I'm just trying to find a bullet

I saw you had brown bear and not grizzly. I'd stay with what I stated but I would bump the E-tip to 180 grs. The 180's in the three I listed would all work well. Good advice above on the 200 gr. Accubonds and Partitions too. They will fly flat and work for mountain goat out there at 400 yards if necessary.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would load up some 200 grain A-frames in that RUM and not look back. If your wanting a higher BC bullet look at the 200 grain Edge TLR from Federal.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Do not over think it... Shoot whatever bullet you want and both will die quickly with a shot in the vitals.

gbflyer

WKR
Pick whichever rifle is the lightest for that goat hunt. You’ll be glad you did. Put a Partition in it. Kill whatever you aim it at. Don’t worry about a big stout bear stopper. If one gets after you your guide will have a big bore for that.

ericF

WKR
We used 180gr Barnes TTSX on 2 sheep and 4 Moose this summer out of 300 WinMags. No problems pinholing through the sheep and pretty ideal bullet for the Moose I think.

Currently have a 308 Win and 30-06 I use currently for medium game. What is the popular caliber for more heavy game like moose and bear?

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I used the 200 gr Nosler Partition from my 30-06 for grizzly, it worked well.

The opportunity came for a shot at a 75 pound wolf, and again, the 200 gr Partition worked well. It expanded readily on the light wolf, and penetrated deep on the big bear.

Guy

mbailey25

WKR
If you have the ability to handload, I would be using the 178 grain ELD-X from hornady in your 300RUM. I have taken quite a few animals with that round, including a mountain goat, and it will do the job on either animal, leaving them in their tracks if hit properly.