Bullet recommendations

GonzM45

What bullet and Gr weight do you prefer for .308. Looking specifically at black bear.

Bearlodge10

It would depend on the terrain/how I was hunting. If I were seating over bait, knowing that my shot would be relatively close, then I would probably go with 180 grain Partition or bonded bullet like Nosler Accubond. If it was going to be spot and stalk with potential for longer shots, then i'd probably go to a 165 Accubond. The 180 would work here too but if you had a longer shot, I'd feel more comfortable with the 165.
Bottom line is to select the bullet weight your rifle shoots the best. Then look at the bullet configuration that would be best suited for the game you are hunting and make sure that your rifle still shoots them well.

rayporter

my pard and I just returned from a spot and stalk trip in Alaska with blackies.

he used Remington 180 core loks in a 308 and I used 180 barns ttsx. [ in a 300 win] both worked well. mine dropped and his ran 15 yd.
range was under 70yds.

jhm2023

Anything that works on whitetail will work on black bears. No reason to over think it really. They aren't difficult to kill and certainly don't have the body structure and demeanor of a grizz/brown bear. Some think just because it's a bear it should be treated like a grizz in terms of caliber and bullet choice, but that just isn't the case for blackies.

OP
G

GonzM45

Thanks for the replies. I will be hunting in California so no baiting just spot and stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheytac

another vote for barns ttsx , they work well on coastal bears here in NC

AkMtnRunner

A 130 gr ttsx put the lights out on a ~4 year old alaskan interior grizzly (similar size to large black bear) real quick last fall for me. I was only going for caribou but I took the opportunity of that bear wandering into my camp before he knew I was there. Somewhat surprised it worked so well but very glad it did!