Bullet recommendations

It would depend on the terrain/how I was hunting. If I were seating over bait, knowing that my shot would be relatively close, then I would probably go with 180 grain Partition or bonded bullet like Nosler Accubond. If it was going to be spot and stalk with potential for longer shots, then i'd probably go to a 165 Accubond. The 180 would work here too but if you had a longer shot, I'd feel more comfortable with the 165.
Bottom line is to select the bullet weight your rifle shoots the best. Then look at the bullet configuration that would be best suited for the game you are hunting and make sure that your rifle still shoots them well.

rayporter

WKR
my pard and I just returned from a spot and stalk trip in Alaska with blackies.

he used Remington 180 core loks in a 308 and I used 180 barns ttsx. [ in a 300 win] both worked well. mine dropped and his ran 15 yd.
range was under 70yds.

jhm2023

WKR
Anything that works on whitetail will work on black bears. No reason to over think it really. They aren't difficult to kill and certainly don't have the body structure and demeanor of a grizz/brown bear. Some think just because it's a bear it should be treated like a grizz in terms of caliber and bullet choice, but that just isn't the case for blackies.

OP
CenCoastHunter
Thanks for the replies. I will be hunting in California so no baiting just spot and stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheytac

FNG
another vote for barns ttsx , they work well on coastal bears here in NC

A 130 gr ttsx put the lights out on a ~4 year old alaskan interior grizzly (similar size to large black bear) real quick last fall for me. I was only going for caribou but I took the opportunity of that bear wandering into my camp before he knew I was there. Somewhat surprised it worked so well but very glad it did!

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
165gr Accubonds. Work for everything the rifle has been pointed at.....

Thanks for the replies. I will be hunting in California so no baiting just spot and stalk.

Remember in Ca you have to use non-lead bullets, so the recommendations for Coreloks and Accubonds are not legal. Find a copper what shots good on your rifle, and go hunting, I dont think weight would be an issue.

It would depend on the terrain/how I was hunting. If I were seating over bait, knowing that my shot would be relatively close, then I would probably go with 180 grain Partition or bonded bullet like Nosler Accubond. If it was going to be spot and stalk with potential for longer shots, then i'd probably go to a 165 Accubond. The 180 would work here too but if you had a longer shot, I'd feel more comfortable with the 165.
Bottom line is to select the bullet weight your rifle shoots the best. Then look at the bullet configuration that would be best suited for the game you are hunting and make sure that your rifle still shoots them well.

May I ask why would you feel more comfortable with a lighter bullet for a longer shot? Can you not get higher BC for 180 than 165 and end up with more energy at the same long range, less wind drift, and close to the same drop. I am no expert so I am probably missing something. So forgive the dumb question. The extent of my ballistics knowledge is based on shooting 30.06 for everything. 🐻

Weight id use whatever my gun shot best, whats your twist rate? Ive killed 2 bears with .308 both using 150gr core lokt, as i was using a model 88 with a 1:12 twist, and it likes the lighter bullets.

Mosby

WKR
We have really good luck with 165 grain bullets in the non mag 30 cal. Try Speer Grand Slams or Barnes TSX. Both are really good bullets for just about anything.

May I ask why would you feel more comfortable with a lighter bullet for a longer shot? Can you not get higher BC for 180 than 165 and end up with more energy at the same long range, less wind drift, and close to the same drop. I am no expert so I am probably missing something. So forgive the dumb question. The extent of my ballistics knowledge is based on shooting 30.06 for everything. 🐻
Mike, good question and points of clarification. It is funny that you ask this, as I had come back to this post a while back and wondered the same thing. The point I was trying to make was to pick the bullet that shot best in the rifle and hunt with confidence. As to the 180 vs. 165 debate... This is coming strictly from my experience with the .308 and those bullet weights. I suggested the 180 Partition from the stand as I think it would be better at providing the quicker kills and bigger blood trails at the closer yardage while giving a little more brush busting and less than ideal shot angle confidence. As good as the 180's have performed for me in the thick stuff, they have never shot well for me past 200 yards, thus my suggestion for the 165 Accubond. I don't know if it is the boat tail and the tip or just the change in velocity but they are more accurate for me and have had great terminal results. I believe that the BC for these is pretty close to the same but I have never paid that close attention to the BC numbers.

TauPhi111

WKR
While any bullet that works for deer will indeed work for bear, i do think a tougher bullet than usual is better. Bears have thicker hair, fat, muscle and bone. They also don't leave good blood trails compared to deer. For that I like a bullet that gives unparalleled penetration and 2 holes for max blood trails, and that means Barnes. I shoot the 225 tsx out of my 358 Win. For 308, I'd go with the 168 or 180. You'd probably be OK with the 150, but I just like heavier for caliber bullets