Bullet Run-out...how picky are you?

kjw

WKR
Been reloading for awhile and have been getting great accuracy out to 800 yds give or take. I’ve finally started to invest in some better tooling and dies to improve consistency and tolerance in my reloading just to see if I get any improvements. On my 300 WM I’ve been shooting consistently under 1 MOA out to 800. Was able to check my bullet run out and saw that it was 3 to 4 1/4 thousandths. I know it can be way better. Those of you that dive into this sort of thing, where do you try to get on your runout?

bullet "runout" is all fine and good … for "ringin' steel"
should probably worry more about practice using field positions out to, oh say …. 500 yards

I use a Forester coax press and Redding dies for my target ammo. My run-out with that setup is usually about 2 thou using Winchester brass.

I don't measure the stuff that gets cranked out through the LNL.

mvrk28

WKR
I prep brass on the Redding T-7 Turret with Redding Type S Bushing Dies, then seat on a Frankford Arsenal M-Press with a Whidden Gunworks die. I'm usually around 1 thou of runout using Alpha Munitions Brass and Hammer bullets.

OP
K

kjw

WKR
No I sure don’t, I guess one of the questions I’m asking is if it shoots good with marginal runout at that distance what do I gain, if anything, and where do I see the benefits of spending the money to improve runout?
Also, this isn’t necessarily a hunting related question. I don’t see myself shooting at animals at a half mile. But I do enjoy finding mtn canyons and spanking rocks while learning the limits of myself and equipment. It’s just practice

OP
K

kjw

WKR
Mvrk28,
How do you like your Frankford press? Looking at adding a press to the table and it looks like a great tool. Also been looking at the MEC.

OP
K

kjw

WKR
I guess I’m not sure what 1/4 is.... just trying to ask a question and learn something. JEEZUS F***. Sure miss the days when you could just ask a question on a forum and not get f^n criticized for everything and have the thread get plugged up with ego and bullish!t. Sorry for the rant but damn. Moderators feel free to delete this, I’ll go elsewhere for infor

slick

WKR
I guess I’m not sure what 1/4 is.... just trying to ask a question and learn something. JEEZUS F***. Sure miss the days when you could just ask a question on a forum and not get f^n criticized for everything and have the thread get plugged up with ego and bullish!t. Sorry for the rant but damn. Moderators feel free to delete this, I’ll go elsewhere for infor

Whoa. Not sure this response helped any. Seemed like a pretty civil discussion. Cripes, you’re the one that sent it off the deep end. Maybe they just need clarification to help answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
Mvrk28,
How do you like your Frankford press? Looking at adding a press to the table and it looks like a great tool. Also been looking at the MEC.

I love the Frankford, I took all of the pins out of it when I got it and lubed them with Mobil Synthetic Red Grease and put some on the rails as well. It runs buttery smooth. Everything on it feels great for me and what I do. I really like how everything free floats. The only thing you need to be aware of is that it does not prime on press so you will need an alternate priming solution if you prime on press.

I can't speak to the MEC unfortunately, I have heard nothing but good things about it but have not used one personally.

One drawback to the M-Press is the die blocks. They work great and cost about the same as the Lock & Load bushings from Hornady, but it would be nice if the die just floated with the lock ring like the Forster Co-Ax. I wouldn't let this deter you from the M-Press vs the MEC because most people put the Lock & Load sytem on the MEC anyway so you're paying for adapters either way.

Chubscout

FNG
I use a Forester coax press and Redding dies for my target ammo. My run-out with that setup is usually about 2 thou using Winchester brass.

I don't measure the stuff that gets cranked out through the LNL.
Ok I’m new to this type of reloading, I’ve just used factory brass and built rounds for hunting. That being said I’m trying to build a mile round. Does brass affect bullet run out or is it the bullet?

Brass will effect run-out for sure. Look into neck trimming and you will see examples of several thousandths of an inch difference.

I'm somewhere in the 8-9 10%'s that the question is answered, but what do I know?

LOL. I might have been optimistic on this one being answered. If it is 0.00025", the OP is saying he is seeing 0.00075" - 0.001" of runout but knows it can be way better. I'm not sure it can be way better if you're keeping runout to a maximum of 0.001".

Honest input to the OP that is worth what he paid - I stopped measuring runout and chasing that unicorn unless i'm trying to identify why ammo is not accurate. I know I have a process that has produced ammo of sufficiently low runout so I don't spend the time to measure it.

mvrk28

WKR
LOL. I might have been optimistic on this one being answered. If it is 0.00025", the OP is saying he is seeing 0.00075" - 0.001" of runout but knows it can be way better. I'm not sure it can be way better if you're keeping runout to a maximum of 0.001".

Honest input to the OP that is worth what he paid - I stopped measuring runout and chasing that unicorn unless i'm trying to identify why ammo is not accurate. I know I have a process that has produced ammo of sufficiently low runout so I don't spend the time to measure it.

I believe he is seeing between .003-.00475" of runout.