Bullet stability

fly1tie6

FNG
So I just purchased a new Tikka T3x in 300 WM. I have started shooting with a few different factory loads to see which one it prefers. My question, if the rifle shoots one particular brand well at 100yds does that mean it will still shoot well at say 400 yds? Is it possible that the bullet stabilizes at 100 but not at longer distances? Of course shooting will utlimately answer my question and for the purpose of this question let’s assume the shooter is consistent in form and technique.

Pro953

WKR
It’s been a while since I read them so thing may be getting turned around. From what I recall in a couple of the books by Litz, if you are stable at 100 you should be stable all of the way out. That is until the projectile starts to tumble. Smarter folks here will answer with better info.

That’s said I have that same rifle. Being in CA I only shoot copper so take this with a grain of salt as the copper bullets are longer. For copper I lost stability on anything 200 grains or higher. For lead you can probably get up to 200 maybe higher but you are flirting with the edge with the slow twist rate of the Tikka barrels.

Have fun, they are shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

fly1tie6

FNG
It’s been a while since I read them so thing may be getting turned around. From what I recall in a couple of the books by Litz, if you are stable at 100 you should be stable all of the way out. That is until the projectile starts to tumble. Smarter folks here will answer with better info.

That’s said I have that same rifle. Being in CA I only shoot copper so take this with a grain of salt as the copper bullets are longer. For copper I lost stability on anything 200 grains or higher. For lead you can probably get up to 200 maybe higher but you are flirting with the edge with the slow twist rate of the Tikka barrels.

Have fun, they are shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have only had it to the range once and so far at 100 yards the 200g ELD-X has grouped very well. Yes, I feel it will certainly e a shooter.

OP
F

fly1tie6

FNG
Thanks Pootros. I will check out the calculator and see what it says. Curious now to see how field data will compare to the data the calculator spits out.