Bullet styles for the yukon/AK

dogman11

FNG
Thoughts on different bullet styles for a Yukon sheep hunt. I went this past yr with a 130 grain 6.5 weatherby pill, after looking at 4 grizzlies and one at 25yds I'm building a new 300 short mag. and am thinking about bullet styles that will perform from 50 yds to 650 yds.
I love Bergers in the heavier bullets for deer and smaller game but I'm thinking about a bullet that is bonded in a 200 grain or so size.
What do you Yukon/AK experienced guys reccomend for a all around bullet?

Legend

WKR
I run a 300wsm. Make sure you look at case capacity at some point your larger bullets start stealing room for powder. I generally don't go over 180. I have had great accuracy with the hornady eldx but at very close range they came apart. I would recomend you go with nosler acubond as a starting point

I’m kind of partial to the 165gr Barnes TTSX out of my 300wsm. My rifle really seems to like that round, and I’ve had excellent performance out of it on everything from deer, sheep, goats, moose, and both black and brown/grizzly bear. I’ve also had good performance on bigger game with 180 Nosler Partitions, but my groups aren’t as good when I’m at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking along the same lines, my upcoming sheep hunt may have changed from a sheep/goat to a sheep/grizzly combo. So my possible caliber choices went from .257 weatherby or 280 AI to .300 Weatherby and I am seriously looking to begin load development with the Barnes 175gr LRX.

If Mtn grizzlies are your "secondary" animal I would not change from your current set-up if that 130gr was a bonded bullet (I am assuming it is the Swift Scirocco) or the 127gr Barnes LRX.

I have killed more mtn grizzles with my 264WM's, 270's, 7mm's sheep rifles than any of my 30 cal and up rifles. As long as you are shooting a bonded or solid copper bullet out of that 6.5 Weatherby you are more than capable of killing the biggest of the Mtn Grizzlies with ZERO problems even if the angle is not double lung shots. Those bullets are tough as nails and the velocity you are pushing them at helps; even at close range.

If you are building a strictly Mtn Grizzles rifle a 30 cal 165gr solid copper bullet at the 30/06 and up velocity is perfect. I prefer a standard cartridge because I can build a lightweight rifle and have at least 4 rounds down in the magazine which in my opinion, those two attributes trump big cased high velocity calibers.

Not sure if you are a resident of the Yukon or Alaska but there are very few if any guides who are going to allow 650yd initial shooting at a grizzly. Way to much room for error, the animal bites back with poor hits and that guide is responsible for the recovery. I certainly would not allow a client of mine to do that at all. I prefer my clients to shoot grizzlies at under 300 yds and under no circumstances are first initial shots allowed over 350yds.

fatbacks

WKR
I was in the same boat as you last year - had to kill a grizz at 25 yds with a 6.5 CM. Sprucing up my 300 WSM as well. I bought a bunch of 200 gr accubonds that I am hoping the rifle will like. If that doesn’t work I am going for Barnes - 175 LRX, 200 gr LRX or the 168 gr TTSX

OP
D

dogman11

FNG
Double Broomed I don't have any desire to shoot a Grizzly at 650. IF everything were right I could take a shot that far if it was a last resort, I say that saying I practice multiple times a week with my long plate at 890yds. My preference would be 100 yds on a solid rest laying prone!!!!!! I had a Grizzly wind us from 250 yds and come running in at 25yds before it stopped and another guy had to shoot one to save his guide. I was just asking what the preffered bullets the guides and experienced hunters use in that area. I'm thinking what is the best all purpose bullet for sheep 1st, caribou 2nd, Moose 3rd, and last resort Grizzly for a 300 wsm.

Double Broomed I don't have any desire to shoot a Grizzly at 650. IF everything were right I could take a shot that far if it was a last resort, I say that saying I practice multiple times a week with my long plate at 890yds. My preference would be 100 yds on a solid rest laying prone!!!!!! I had a Grizzly wind us from 250 yds and come running in at 25yds before it stopped and another guy had to shoot one to save his guide. I was just asking what the preffered bullets the guides and experienced hunters use in that area. I'm thinking what is the best all purpose bullet for sheep 1st, caribou 2nd, Moose 3rd, and last resort Grizzly for a 300 wsm.

165 or 168gr TTSX at the velocities the 300WSM will push them at for a combo do everything bullet. 180gr if it were a bonded (accubond/interbond etc). You will not be undergunned what so ever.

I’m kind of partial to the 165gr Barnes TTSX out of my 300wsm. My rifle really seems to like that round, and I’ve had excellent performance out of it on everything from deer, sheep, goats, moose, and both black and brown/grizzly bear. I’ve also had good performance on bigger game with 180 Nosler Partitions, but my groups aren’t as good when I’m at the range.

Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo?

miloak

FNG
I shoot factory 180gr barnes tsx out of my 300wsm and have never felt under gunned. Moose, goats, caribou, etc. Never used for grizzly but would.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I use a 300 WSM in 150 grain nosler partitions for all game. Sheep are pretty darn wimpy. I would pick the best shooting bullet that performs in your particular rifle.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm not going sheep hunting, but will be in grizzly country hunting caribou next fall. I'll be packing my 300 win mag with 180gr E tips in Nosler factory ammo. I really hope they get more made and I can get some to practice with before September. If not I will work on a handload using that bullet.

I'm lucky that my 300 shoots to the same point of impact at 100 yards with factory Berger 185gr Classic Hunter ammo, or the Nosler 180gr E tip ammo. The Berger stuff is moving 3058fps and the Nosler is 2896fps. My turret has yardage marks for the E tips, but also MOA marks below that. If I want to switch ammunition I can use the MOA and the ballistics program on my I phone to see what I where I need to dial in MOA for the Bergers.

In bear country I will be keeping the gun loaded with E tips and will probably shoot them for everything. They have shot well for me and I don't want to overcomplicate things. I'm sure I'll have plenty of adrenaline going when I get my first caribou in my crosshairs and don't need to be worrying about anything except making a good shot.

180 grain accubonds have penetrated well for me. Good accuracy too. They also aren't eyewatering expensive.

madcalfe

WKR
ive owned 3 .300wsm and hand loaded for all of them.
nosler 180 gr accubonds with 65gr of H4350 (2990fps) seems to be a perfect setup for all of them.
Another good load that had quiet slower velocities but way more accurate was accubond 180gr with 62.5gr of H4831sc (2815fps). ive recently switched to the 178gr eldx to change it up and found that these bullets are way better for longer distances. if your shooting 0-400 yrds id go with 180 accubonds. 400yrds+ eldx works wonders.

but its also going to mainly depend on what your guns likes!