Bullet type for all big game, all ranges

BooneAK

FNG
Hello! So I'm from the Midwest where straight wall rifle cartridges were only recently allowed for deer hunting. I bought a .45-70 right away, and with Buffalo Bore Full Power Low Recoil loads, dropped my deer within 100 yards all with pass through shots and big holes, no surprise.

This year, I moved to AK, a lifelong dream, and I killed a beautiful double shovel caribou bull with my .308 Win. I shot him 2-3 times at circa 300 yards. Once I started taking him apart, I noticed one of the bullets passed through the kill zone, low, without striking a rib, and left a pencil hole in and out, with no apparent expansion. I was using Hornady GMX 165 gr bullet in their Outfitter range. The lack of expansion concerned me, and I've finally got around to investigating.

Some have posted elsewhere that the GMX is infamous for not expanding at lower velocities. What!? So I called Hornady, and they straight up said that the Outfitter is not a long range round, and that 2300 fps is necessary to get full expansion. A quick look at their own velocity tables showed less than that at 200 yards and even less at 300 and 400. Plus, I'm shooting a Ruger GSR with a 16" barrel, so I'm shooting even slower. Getting a straight answer to "welll, what percent expansions am I getting at 2000 fps and 1800 fps" proved unattainable. He even told me to shoot for the shoulder to get better expansion, which seems totally crazy to me -- passing on a boiler room shot for a shoulder just to manage my bullet? I had no idea that a bullet that was being advertised with 95% weight retention came with a tradeoff, and that's poor expansion at longer ranges; I would also learn that even bullets with high weight retention at longer ranges could dip to 50% weight retention at closer ranges with no pass through as the bullet comes apart with all that energy suddenly being released.

All this makes sense, right, in terms of the physics. So, the question is: what's the best big game bullet for all ranges? I'd like to be able to shoot from 25 yards to 300 yards and keep the 300 yard drop under 10 inches. I don't care about grains, as long as it's heavy enough for moose. I'm not interested in larger calibers, and I'm not interested in hydrostatic shock. I want a bullet that holds together, flies straight, and can put holes through both lungs. What do you think? What's the best big game bullet for all ranges?

I've had excellent results with Barnes TTSX bullets in all my rifles, both on game and on paper. I killed a goat a couple weeks ago using my .308 (18" barrel), 230ish yard shot, broad side double lung, 150gr. factory TTSX ammo, and found the bullet in the hide on the opposite side of the entry. Here's what it looked like.
b5b8dfe134c6af092a163f4e9929a524.jpg

0dfbc823fc8f00209578c372fd325941.jpg

The bullet in the above picture weighed just a hair over 148gr.

Last edited:

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I've also used the new browning bsx 139gr out of my 7mm with success it's a copper bullet as well
d49774364c6fa7ab87c150e57b90fec3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm guessing most people will say nosler partition.

I use a 180gr Speer hot cor in my .30-06 exiting the muzzle at 2850fps. Zeroed at 200, it only drops 7.5" at 500 feet elevation. It should be fine for 25-50 yards also because the velocity is low enough the bullet won't explode on a tissue impact. I hit a rib on an elk I shot this year at 100 yards, and the bullet had 55% weight retention. Very little meat loss.

So, you can use the old cup and cores too, you just want to keep the velocity below 2800 or 2900fps depending on the bullet. I'm also not a fan of shoulder shots or the price of partitions since I shoot alot, so that's why I went with that bullet.

Btw, I've shot 1 elk with my rifle, because I'm also from the Midwest. So take my I do with a grain of salt.

Rich M

WKR
Frankly, the GMX bullets suck. The Barnes bullets are a better choice if you want all copper but they need 1800 fps to expand.

It really sounds like you want "old school" - Nosler Partition is gonna be the best of the best for that. A 150/165/180/200 gr out of your 308 is good for moose.

Smaller critters - caribou, goats, sheep, etc., you can use regular cup & cores - Remington Core Lokt type bullets in the 150-165 bracket.

I'm not sure the speeds or ballistics of the 180 gr pills cause I don't shoot em - 150 & 165 are all I've shot out of my 3006 and I know the 308 is just a hair less, so will do just fine.

I shoot Partitions and Sierra Pro Hunters out of 3006 and 243. Pro hunters shoot tight and Partitions penetrate. Got over 30 inches on a whitetail at 120 yards - stem to stern shot with .243 100 gr partition at 2950 fps, retrieved bullet from rear ham weighing 62.5 grains. Deer made a lunge but went straight down. The Pro Hunters are 1 hole bullets inside 100 yards, usually go all the way thru once the velocity drops enough to allow it.

Scorpion

WKR
Generally speaking, monolithic copper bullets have the best terminal results when used at higher impact speeds. With standard short action cartridges I would recommend stepping down in bullet weight. We typically use 130 or 150 TTSX’s for 308’s. I will also typically try to shoot both shoulders with them as well.

All the above being said, you should check out Accubonds or Partitions for your rifle. Either should be fine for your situation and ranges. I have also had good luck with factory Federal Fusion in multiple calibers.

All great info. As said above stick with nosler Ab's or partitions if you want lead.. Im a huge fan of Barnes as they haven't let me down yet. With multiple calibers. I just started using the longrangeX's in my 7mm and they are doing great.
I've used 80gr ttsx in .243 I've also used the 160gr ttsx in my 8x57. Farthest anything has ran was about 50 yards but its adrenalin was pumping as he had just been pushed pretty hard by other hunters and luckily ran right into me.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
There has been loads of discussion about this on here and other websites. You could literally spends hours a day reading through it all, but what it all boils down to is:

1. There are two really popular kinds of hunting bullets- those that come apart and cause a large wound channel, and those that hold together and penetrate deeper.
2. You will find that about half of people are in one camp, half in another. - the blow up the insides crowd, and the max penetration crowd.
3. The bullet you chose is less important than your knowledge of how they work, most particularly with your rifle and what you shoot at most commonly.

My experience leads me to recommend neither style over the other, rather a shot choice/placement recommendation:

If you are using a mono or other bullet designed for weight retention, certainly use those within the velocity/expansion parameters and shoot for the shoulder.

If using a frangible bullet, understand that it is made to come apart and cause lots of damage, sometimes to the point of not penetrating enough or causing great amounts of damage if a poor shot is chosen. Shoot tight behind the shoulder with these, especially on larger game.

There are too many scenarios, shot angles, distance, etc... to get into, but knowing what the bullet is supposed to do will help you pick one to use and dictate how you use it.

I don't think people gave this stuff too much thought back when we were taught to hunt in slow and close with skill and put one through the vitals...

OXN939

WKR
I've had excellent results with Barnes TTSX bullets in all my rifles, both on game and on paper. I killed a goat a couple weeks ago using my .308 (18" barrel), 230ish yard shot, broad side double lung, 150gr. factory TTSX ammo, and found the bullet in the hide on the opposite side of the entry. Here's what it looked like.
b5b8dfe134c6af092a163f4e9929a524.jpg

0dfbc823fc8f00209578c372fd325941.jpg

The bullet in the above picture weighed just a hair over 148gr.
+1 on the TTSX. The alloy Hornady uses in the GMX line is relatively hard, and doesn't expand as rapidly as other copper monos.

Hello! So I'm from the Midwest where straight wall rifle cartridges were only recently allowed for deer hunting. I bought a .45-70 right away, and with Buffalo Bore Full Power Low Recoil loads, dropped my deer within 100 yards all with pass through shots and big holes, no surprise.

This year, I moved to AK, a lifelong dream, and I killed a beautiful double shovel caribou bull with my .308 Win. I shot him 2-3 times at circa 300 yards. Once I started taking him apart, I noticed one of the bullets passed through the kill zone, low, without striking a rib, and left a pencil hole in and out, with no apparent expansion. I was using Hornady GMX 165 gr bullet in their Outfitter range. The lack of expansion concerned me, and I've finally got around to investigating.

Some have posted elsewhere that the GMX is infamous for not expanding at lower velocities. What!? So I called Hornady, and they straight up said that the Outfitter is not a long range round, and that 2300 fps is necessary to get full expansion. A quick look at their own velocity tables showed less than that at 200 yards and even less at 300 and 400. Plus, I'm shooting a Ruger GSR with a 16" barrel, so I'm shooting even slower. Getting a straight answer to "welll, what percent expansions am I getting at 2000 fps and 1800 fps" proved unattainable. He even told me to shoot for the shoulder to get better expansion, which seems totally crazy to me -- passing on a boiler room shot for a shoulder just to manage my bullet? I had no idea that a bullet that was being advertised with 95% weight retention came with a tradeoff, and that's poor expansion at longer ranges; I would also learn that even bullets with high weight retention at longer ranges could dip to 50% weight retention at closer ranges with no pass through as the bullet comes apart with all that energy suddenly being released.

All this makes sense, right, in terms of the physics. So, the question is: what's the best big game bullet for all ranges? I'd like to be able to shoot from 25 yards to 300 yards and keep the 300 yard drop under 10 inches. I don't care about grains, as long as it's heavy enough for moose. I'm not interested in larger calibers, and I'm not interested in hydrostatic shock. I want a bullet that holds together, flies straight, and can put holes through both lungs. What do you think? What's the best big game bullet for all ranges?
If you reload and can stomach the price I’ve had good luck lately with Cutting Edge Extended Range Raptors out of my 338 RCM.

There has been loads of discussion about this on here and other websites. You could literally spends hours a day reading through it all, but what it all boils down to is:

1. There are two really popular kinds of hunting bullets- those that come apart and cause a large wound channel, and those that hold together and penetrate deeper.
2. You will find that about half of people are in one camp, half in another. - the blow up the insides crowd, and the max penetration crowd.
3. The bullet you chose is less important than your knowledge of how they work, most particularly with your rifle and what you shoot at most commonly.

My experience leads me to recommend neither style over the other, rather a shot choice/placement recommendation:

If you are using a mono or other bullet designed for weight retention, certainly use those within the velocity/expansion parameters and shoot for the shoulder.

If using a frangible bullet, understand that it is made to come apart and cause lots of damage, sometimes to the point of not penetrating enough or causing great amounts of damage if a poor shot is chosen. Shoot tight behind the shoulder with these, especially on larger game.

There are too many scenarios, shot angles, distance, etc... to get into, but knowing what the bullet is supposed to do will help you pick one to use and dictate how you use it.

I don't think people gave this stuff too much thought back when we were taught to hunt in slow and close with skill and put one through the vitals...
Run Cutting Edge bullets and get the best of both worlds.

hodgeman

WKR
I've used Accubonds nearly exclusively for the last 15 years in a 300WSM. Ranges from 20' to 450 yards. Game included wolves, bears, moose, and lots of caribou of all sizes.

In general- big, bloody exit wounds are the norm. I've only recovered 2 bullets- 65% and 69% weight retention from under the off side hide on strongly quartering shots. It's not a perfect bullet, but in my opinion it's as close to one that exists.

Another vote for Partition or Accubond. Tried and true. Swift A frame wouldn’t be a bad choice for bull moose either.
Ask around at your local gun shops up there what folks are shooting. Guys love talking bullets and you may make some new hunting buddies.

Mono/copper bullets are awesome as long as the impact velocity is around 2000fps +/-, and/or you’re making shoulder shots.
Wouldn’t be my first choice for a 16” barrel .308

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have had great luck out of Nosler Accu bond great accuracy and have knocked everything I’ve hit with him down like a hammer including bull elk

rootacres

WKR
If you want reliable expansion the Accubonds are going to be awesome. If you're keeping it at 300 an in, the partitions would be great as well (accubonds have better ballistics). The TTSX is very similar to the GMX in that it has very high weight retention and is an all copper projectile. Shooting a 308 I would stick with a bonded bullet. If someday you decide to bump to a magnum then maybe revisit the TTSX and GMX. You will then have the velocity you're looking for.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion- for short range brushy stuff, swift A frame, nosler partitions. Longer range, I like the Barnes bullets, Accubonds, but my personal favorite is the Berger. My experience has been that the berger will penetrate 4 inches to get past the hide, ribs, shoulder, and then rapid expansion tears crap up, but it retains the lower section of the bullet, pushing it clear to the skin on the other side or clear through. In my opinion it is the best compromise for expansion at close range, but also retaining energy at long range. Alot of good bullets out there though and many work great, finding what your gun likes is another thing