Bulletproof instant coffee- diy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had never heard of bulletproof coffee, but when I read about I was curious. Curious because I like the idea of adding easy calories when backpacking. For those that haven't heard of it, it's

Bulletproof coffee is a high-calorie coffee drink intended to replace breakfast. It consists of 2 cups (470 ml) of coffee, 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of grass-fed, unsalted butter, and 1–2 tablespoons (15–30 ml) of MCT oil mixed in a blender.

There are different takes on it, but basically coffee with some additional calories via fat.

What I've done in the past was to take instant Starbucks Mocha and mix w/ a packet of SB's Via coffee- an easy way to add 150 calories with morning coffee and breakfast. Obviously a lot of the calories in the mocha is sugar, I'm not against sugar when backpacking (it's the only time I ever eat candy bars- Snicker's specifically! :)), but thought I'd give something else a try.

You can buy premade instant bulletproof coffee, but decided to try doing it myself so I can control how much of what goes in and still use instant Via which I like.

What I've settled on and has passed the taste test is 1.5 tablespoons of butter powder (yup it's a thing!) and 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil powder (it's a thing too). Gives my morning coffee about a 200 calorie boost and tastes good too (ymmv). The powdered coconut oil has no taste, but the powdered butter does- kind of a nice creamy taste.

You can purchase both the powdered butter and coconut oil from Amazon (and elsewhere).

I9Z1m7M.jpg

Anyways an easy 200 calorie bump to your morning that also happens to taste pretty good too.

Ive thought about making my own too, i bought some spendy packets on Amazon called fat fuel ive been using for hunts and its really good but there isnt much in it so it'd be easy to make. Only thing they add that you didnt is Himalayan salt i think. If you add a little chocolate collagen too its kinda like a mocha with a bit more calories too, i usually add it to mine along with some honey or monkfruit. Personally i try to avoid gluten and processed sugar for the most part and that works well for me

And yeah go easy on the mct oil powder if you aren't used to it, really gets the bowels going lol. I did keto for 2 years so im totally used to it

Pgohil

WKR
I did pretty much the same for my Montana elk hunt. I used folgers singles for the coffee, then 2 tablespoons of powdered coconut oil and 1 of powdered butter. A little splenda and it's quick and perfect for me. I run a complete low carb meal plan and it helps greatly with the needed fats.

I'm more or less a coffee snob. But when going out backpacking, I like to carry G4 coffee. It's a Vietnamese instant coffee brand that you can find at Asian markets. I find it to be the most acceptable tasting instant coffee.

tdot

WKR
I've been taking MCT oils on my hunts for a few years now. I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago, so now I mix it into my porridge in the AM. I love the boost of energy I get from it, very similar to a caffeine boost, without the crash.

Grant K

FNG
if you can find it Laird's superfoods instafuel is a perfect base for high calorie coffee, it's instant coffee with coconut creamer and MCT, add some powdered butter and you can get your coffee up to almost 300 calories, easy to get down and actually delicious... I roll with this and feel like I can skip breakfast entirely most of the time while hunting or climbing.

BBob

WKR
if you can find it Laird's superfoods instafuel is a perfect base for high calorie coffee
Our Costco has the Lairds Superfood Creamer at the moment. Largish bags with 113 1Tbs servings @ 45 cal per 1Tbs. $20 a bag so $.18 per 1Tbs. I've been sampling it this past week and it's not bad at all. Coconut based sugar so it has some sweet to it. Good chance I'll end up using this and the powdered butter this season in combo with the Mount Hagen instant coffee.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

wceatmon

FNG
Thanks for updating! I've got a medley of different instant coffees on the way. I enjoy the Starbucks Via packets but the girlfriend isn't sold on them. After packing out wet coffee grounds in my bear canister last week I've made it my mission to find something she likes. I'm adding this to the order and hopefully it'll help sell her on some form of instant brew.

@mtwarden did you like the Fat Fuel coffee or your own homemade version better?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for updating! I've got a medley of different instant coffees on the way. I enjoy the Starbucks Via packets but the girlfriend isn't sold on them. After packing out wet coffee grounds in my bear canister last week I've made it my mission to find something she likes. I'm adding this to the order and hopefully it'll help sell her on some form of instant brew.

@mtwarden did you like the Fat Fuel coffee or your own homemade version better?

pretty close in taste, but obviously much simpler with the Fat Fuel, so that's the way I've been rolling for awhile :)

I should add but more expensive for the convenience .