Bullets for 270 (mule deer/antelope only)

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to buy a 270 soon and I am not real familiar with the caliber, I mostly load/shoot magnums. If I was going to use only for mule deer and antelope what are some good bullet/grain choices? Shot range anywhere from 100 - 500 yards. I do reload. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Dubaya

FNG
I don’t reload but I recently started shooting the new Federal Terminal Ascent. Shoots very well out of my Tikka 270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Sierra boat tails (game kings) in 130 have knocked down quite a few elk, deer and antelope for me. No reason to change.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Factory 270's come with 1-10 twist, stick with options that will stabilize. The majority of 130gr projectiles are perfect and will do everything you want.

I had good groups (3/4 MOA or less off a bench all day) with 130gr sierra gamekings. I also had decent luck with 130gr accubonds. Neither held up well at close range, although they did their jobs!

Found and played with 133gr Shock Hammers and they consistently would group better than the Sierras and being a mono bullet had no issues with holding up.

kcm2

WKR
Partition, accubond, GMX,

There is value to controlled expansion bullets to minimize meat damage. I've killed a lot of game with a 270, from grouse to elk. Great caliber with good bullets.

A-A-Ron

FNG
I’ve killed deer and elk with 130 Barnes TTSX’s. They shoot consistently, and come out of the animal exactly how they advertise. Lots of weight retention with the way they “petal” out.

They're cheap (or at least used to be) and exceedingly harder to find, but 150 g Remington core lokt's have never ever let me down. There's a lot of chatter about high BC match grade hunting projectiles, and of course they have their place, but sometimes you just need the ol fashioned soft point. Fantastic wound channel, always gotten complete pass throughs. I don't always shoot my 270, but when I do, its with them boolits.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started playing around with my .270 a couple years ago with 85gr TSX's and 95gr TTSX's because I had so many of them for my 6.8 SPC. They're fun to shoot, very little recoil that allows me to keep my scope on target. I haven't used any on game (except in the 6.8mm and I'm a bowhunter) but I would think they'd work great on antelope and deer........as well as the 130's and 129gr LRX.

For your specific parameters, virtually any 130 or 140 grain bullet will do.
I’ve had excellent results with 130 Sierra game kings, 140 Accubonds and 130 Remington Corelokt.

I have one ancient custom 98 Mauser 270 which shoots 130 grain corelokts lights out. I’ve killed 50+ deer and a dozen+ hogs with that set up.

Boreal

WKR
Lots of good info here. If you reload, check out the Hammer Bullets (hammerbullets.com). I’ve used them in 6.5 and 8 mm and they are outstanding. Steve has lots of great info about appropriate loads. I get nothing from them, just someone who buys them and pays retail and shipping to Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
I’ve been shooting the 110gr TTSX in my 270 since last year and been pretty happy with it. Putting them over 57.5gr of H4350. Does everything the 130 does on game but flatter shooting.

rootacres

WKR
Bergers, TTSX, Accubonds have all been easy for me to reload for. The ELD-X I struggled a little bit with in 2 chambering's. I am rolling with 143gr hammer hunters in my 7mm SAUM this year, found a 1/2 MOA load my first trip out with good SD's and higher end speed. It shot sub 2.5" at 600 yds the other day. Aside from lower BCs the hammers might be worth looking at.

rmarshall

WKR
140 Accubonds will do it all! My tikka loves them. In fact my families Winchester, the Remingtons, and savage, all shoot them well..