Bullets look like copper jackets but they are magnetic !!

I Inherited some .308 bullets 147 gr FMJ. 200 of em. being the thrifty type I was gonna use for practice rounds cause they are free. Buuuutt.... you can pick them up with a magnet and when touched with a file a bright sliver color appears very quickly so they are obviously copper plated steel jackets. The big question is will these hurt my bore over the course of 200 rounds or should I just not worry about. it?

LaHunter

WKR
When I ask myself is the risk of shooting iron jacketed bullets through my rifle (which I have high expectations for accuracy) worth it, the answer is an easy NO. Maybe they will not harm your barrel, but maybe they will, so I would throw them away. If your rifle is just a 'beater', then than would be a different conversation.

Rob5589

WKR
I concur with LaHunter. Copper plated steel seems very odd. I'd cut one in half to take a look, just out of curiosity.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would see if they are steel tip penetrator style, or if the entire projectile is steel. I'm guessing they aren't, that the base is going to be lead.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
EastHumboldt
They are lead bullets, but have a steel jacket with a copper wash. Here’s one sawn in half. It’s .308 147 gr FMJ military ball ammo BTW not high end hunting ammo. When i stick a nickel size neodymium magnet in the jar i come up with about 15 of ‘em stuck to it. The bright spot on the right hand piece of bullet is where I nicked it with a file. I judge the copper coating to be less than .005” thick. The jacket is .020-.025” thick and in cross section it’s the same bright silver color as the lead when you cut it with a hacksaw. Been doing some reading and apparently this is fairly standard for some types of military bullets Especially russian. Anybody seen this in US issue military bullets?

image.jpg

OP
EastHumboldt
Some trick of photography makes the jacket more visible in this photo than i can see with the naked eye. Also, man is my thumbnail a wreck...

image.jpg

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have read that US M80 ball can be bimetal jacketed. I am guessing you have pull down bullets from some M80 ball ammo.

OP
EastHumboldt
That’s kinda what I was thinkin’. I knocked the core out with a dirt punch and squashed it about as thick as a nickel with five medium hammer blows so its definitely lead. Then I squished the base part of the jacket with a 12” chunk of 2x4 on end with two blows, so it’s no tougher than a campbells soup can. This is my new hobby... de-constructing bullets.image.jpgimage.jpg

OP
EastHumboldt
The US military has been using copper washed steel jacketed M80 7.62x51 for many years.
So if they’re good enough for the US Army’s rifles are they good enough for mine? That is the question. Any consensus on whether they cause premature barrel wear?

KClark

WKR
The US Army doesn't use them in rifles, only full auto crew served weapons. I'm sure plenty of it has made it's way through M110/SASS but I don't know the effect on barrel life. I've fired lots of it through FALs and others that aren't accurate enough to be affected by a few sparklers down the tube.

Humboldt

FNG
I just inherited a similar box of rounds for my 308. Much like that other due said, "If there's any question, the answer is NO." I agree with that! I am going to take a closer look at the ones I got.

OP
EastHumboldt
I’ve pretty much decided to sell these cause all I’m loading for is deer rifles. But this has been an informative discussion. I don’t know much about military full auto weapons, but I’ve heard some have chrome lined barrels for better wear? Would someone want these for their mil spec .308 semi-auto?

It's a bimetal round. Very common in milsurp and is still manufactured by lake city under contract. Almost all of your shit import ammo like Tula,wolf, and the other myriad of junk steel case will be a bi metal projectile.
I personally wouldn't shoot it through a nicer high end precision rifle, but any Tikka, Savage, or gas gun I'd plug away with no concerns, especially in such a low quantity.
Don't shoot it at rocks or steel in dry brush though......

Reactions: WCB
What is the headstamp? LC, or GGG should sell pretty fast
I’ve pretty much decided to sell these cause all I’m loading for is deer rifles. But this has been an informative discussion. I don’t know much about military full auto weapons, but I’ve heard some have chrome lined barrels for better wear? Would someone want these for their mil spec .308 semi-auto?

Wapiti1

WKR
Those are just normal mil-surplus FMJ's. They won't hurt your barrel to shoot for practice.

Steel jackets aren't uncommon. Hornady and Woodleigh currently make solids and round nose soft points using copper wash steel jackets in many calibers. They are mostly intended for dangerous game hunting. Many military bullets are steel jacketed. It's cheaper and works fine.

Jeremy