Bulls Still Packing

I spent a few days in the Idaho Diamond Creek zone this week and was surprised to find that there were bulls still packing their horns. The bulls with horns were spikes and rag horns.

Does anyone know when the bulls in this area drop their horns?

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
Mature bulls or spikes/raghorns? I’ve seen spikes with antlers in early May but at the same time picked up fresh mature bull antlers earlier than I care to say.

OP
Touchdown88
Mature bulls or spikes/raghorns? I’ve seen spikes with antlers in early May but at the same time picked up fresh mature bull antlers earlier than I care to say.
Spikes and rag horns. Sorry I should've stated that earlier and I updated my post.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They will all be on the ground in early May....we saw 5 little guys walking last week

Had 5/6’s still packing here(idaho) as of last week. Haven’t given them a close look lately as I’ve been on the hunt for some birds. I can see them daily if I choose to.

Antlers....
Moo cows have horns.

Big bulls and bucks drop first.
Elk can drop first of March and then anytime for the next two months.

Buddies I know more north of my location often say they’ve never seen an elk still holding in May.

Just depends on your location and size of bull.

Antlers....
Moo cows have horns.

Big bulls and bucks drop first.
Elk can drop first of March and then anytime for the next two months.

Buddies I know more north of my location often say they’ve never seen an elk still holding in May.

Just depends on your location and size of bull.
Ohh boyee we have an Antler not a Horn Nazi😆

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy sent me this picture the other day from somewhere north of boise when he went out to his work truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_233609.jpg
    IMG_20210418_233609.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 61
A few years ago during late April I watched two bulls lock antlers and rattle together for a few seconds. I was hoping to see a few antlers fall tot he ground but they both walked away with a full headset. They were both 4-5 point raghorn bulls.