Bumped a bull, can I go back?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
After a ton of hiking I finally got on an elk. I was hiking up through dark timber in the morning. Unfortunately I got impatient calling and after 10 minutes without a response I began moving up again. A bull was coming in at around 80 yards and I spooked him. I dropped down and let out a cow call and got him to stop. After about 20 minutes of calling I got him to come back in to shooting range (25y) but he would not step out from behind the brush for a clean shot. After checking out more of the "language" he was clearly doing nervous grunts apparently to get me to show myself. I kept challenging him and eventually he trotted off.

What are the chances that he will be back to that same spot? How long should I wait to go back if at all, and what approach should I take? The same one with more patience?

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Did he wind you? If no, ElkNut1 would say give him a day or so and then relocate him. If he did wind you, he's likely blown out and you'd be looking at finding new elk.
I'm fairly certain he did not wind me. Pretty sure he physically saw me, but he came back with my call so maybe he just got spooked from the sound of me walking on branches?

Big feed area next to where he was. Looks like he (or others) have been up there for weeks.

Laramie

WKR
I'm fairly certain he did not wind me. Pretty sure he physically saw me, but he came back with my call so maybe he just got spooked from the sound of me walking on branches?

Big feed area next to where he was. Looks like he (or others) have been up there for weeks.
Good chance other elk are using the area as well. If he was by himself, good chance he was a satellite bull on a larger herd. I would absolutely go back.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Good chance other elk are using the area as well. If he was by himself, good chance he was a satellite bull on a larger herd. I would absolutely go back.
It definitely looked like sign from more than just one. It's hard to know because they are all so quiet.

If I get in a situation like this again where a bull is close but giving me nervous grunts to show myself, what should I do? Should I have just "showed myself" by stepping around the brush and shooting him quickly?

Gerbdog

WKR
It definitely looked like sign from more than just one. It's hard to know because they are all so quiet.

If I get in a situation like this again where a bull is close but giving me nervous grunts to show myself, what should I do? Should I have just "showed myself" by stepping around the brush and shooting him quickly?
Can always try and grunt back. Nothing wrong with you asking him to show himself also

If I know there were elk there yesterday, I'm going back today. If they aren't there then I'd start seeing where they might be. But if I see or hear elk I'll work that spot until I don't see or hear elk anymore.

I don't even think being winded is reason to leave. I've called in the same bull twice in one day after being winded the first time and watching him bolt. Sometimes I think they just bolt to a spot they feel safe and once things have calmed down they go back to their normal patterns which sometimes brings them right back to where they were, or at least somewhere nearby.

It's the old idea of don't leave elk to find elk.

Laramie

WKR

Once he is nervous and focused on you, typically the game is over. If you can slip out the back and circle him, you have a chance but usually they don't hand around that long once they are spooked.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could upload the video here.

25 yards behind a big bush/tree. Do you think your chances of shooting him or higher if you stay put and continue to call or try to actively move around it to shoot him?

Shame I didn’t even know what he was saying. I was guessing it was something bad like an alarm. Repeatedly challenging him got him to stay for a while.

Laramie

WKR
I wish I could upload the video here.

25 yards behind a big bush/tree. Do you think your chances of shooting him or higher if you stay put and continue to call or try to actively move around it to shoot him?

Shame I didn’t even know what he was saying. I was guessing it was something bad like an alarm. Repeatedly challenging him got him to stay for a while.
One other strategy that sometimes works in the situation is to shut up and hold very still. Make him come look for you.

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
Get a decoy. Definitely go back and try. What do you have to lose? Cant get him if you dont try!

crich

WKR

Hard to say. You could make the same move 3 different times and have 3 different outcomes in a situation like that. 25 yards no way Im making a call unless its a last ditch effort. If you weren't winded I think popping out hoping to make a shot with a bow is a big gamble and a guaranteed way to spook him of it doesn't work out. In this case you still have an opportunity to hunt him again.

I probably error on the side of caution in a lot of situations because I've done this a few times. Cold called and bumped elk that were coming in silent. I've done it with turkeys too. Its all so situational and I feel that theres a different answer every time.

brn2hnt

WKR
Not to distill the question down too much… but you have found 1 elk in one spot over however many days of hunting, and you’re asking whether or not you should go somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Not to distill the question down too much… but you have found 1 elk in one spot over however many days of hunting, and you’re asking whether or not you should go somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha good point…. I guess I was thinking the season is almost over and if it’s a lost cause I certainly don’t want to donate a day to that spot. Would rather go a mountain over if he likely got pushed.

Laramie

WKR
Haha good point…. I guess I was thinking the season is almost over and if it’s a lost cause I certainly don’t want to donate a day to that spot. Would rather go a mountain over if he likely got pushed.
The bottom line, if one elk is found in a spot, it is extremely likely other elk are using the area. Pretty rare to find a bull away from other elk in the middle of the rut.

Read1t48

WKR
There should def. be other elk in the area this time of year and the bull is likely skirting a bigger herd hoping to get some action when the herd bull is done. The cow selects the bull. A cow will be bred several times to ensure it took. The herd bull can only breed so many cows. After that, the cow will go to another bull in the area to make sure she’s bred. That’s why there are other bulls on the outskirts. They are waiting for their turn in the pecking order. The cow will find them.
When they are close and coming, and they grunt, they may continue in search mode. When they get hung up, meaning they stop, I think it pays to grunt back. It can put them back in search mode. But you better have an arrow nocked and ideally be in cover so they have to search you out. A decoy can work in this scenario. But be safe on how you use the decoy if it’s a high pressures area. It can be dangerous. Good luck for the remaining season!