Bumping elevation turret

Sadler

WKR
Has anyone ever had this problem with the nightforce scopes? I’m looking at the NX8 2.5-20 and the ATACR 4-16 with the zero set feature. I like the fact that the ATACR elevation turret locks onto zero but want to know if that’s really necessary. Has anyone ever had an issue with their elevation turret moving while they’re out hunting or am I just overthinking this?

I’ve got an ATACR 4-16, an SHV, and a few scopes with no zero stop or lock and have drug them all over the place backpack hunting. I love the zero lock on the ATACR but have never had an issue with the other scopes. The nice thing about the SHV and NX8 is that if they do get turned accidentally you just go back to zero no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
I’ve got an ATACR 4-16, an SHV, and a few scopes with no zero stop or lock and have drug them all over the place backpack hunting. I love the zero lock on the ATACR but have never had an issue with the other scopes. The nice thing about the SHV and NX8 is that if they do get turned accidentally you just go back to zero no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That answers that. I’ll go with the NX8 and if it becomes an issue I can always switch it out. Thanks, Jolly.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I used both an nx8 and a tangent theta on last years hunts. Rifles strapped to pack with neoprene scope covers. I’ve never had one move. Even the big ass turret on my x5 has never moved.

skierhs

WKR
I use a 7-35 F1 atacr and a 4-14 F1 shv. I have never had an issue with either of the turrets turning without intentionally doing it.

I’ve been shooting competitively for close to 10yrs now. In all the matches I’ve shot, I don’t think I’ve ever spun an elevation turret. However, it’s pretty much muscle memory for me at this point to always make sure I have the right dope dialed on a stage. It carries over into my hunting just the same. I always make sure I’m on my zero stop or I have the correct dope dialed. Just the same when the shot is over, I always make sure I take it back to the zero stop before I get up off the rifle. Now.....I have spun a windage turret on several occasions, but thankfully NF caps most of their windage turrets now so this is not an issue anymore.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be the dissenting vote. I most certainly have had non- locking caps move. I’ve had NF turrets rotate during a hunt. Almost turned a lung shot into a gut shot on a 90 yard deer. I’ve also used LPVO scopes on duty, in training, and at matches. Anything that is not locked, or capped will get moved. I’ve had it happen enough that I will no longer use a scope that doesn’t have locking/capped turrets.

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
if youre asking nighforce specific no

ive spun a zeiss turret though
Yeah it’s specific to NF. I just picked up the ATACR for the same price as the NX8 would have cost me so I won’t have to worry about this issue now but it’s good to know that this hasn’t been much of an issue for anyone.

It’s common practice after you zero to spin your turret all the way in one direction while counting revolutions and minutes exactly for this reason. Zero stops are nice but not necessary if you do the things that should be done

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Granted I haven’t done much back country type hunting but my Nightforce and SWFA turrets don’t move on me unless I want them to. I used to have a gen 1 Vortex Viper and I spun the elevation and windage turrets just by walking to my stand with it slung over my shoulder. Needless to say, I do not use that scope anymore.