Bumping elk, will they come back?

😂😂😂
It would be better if you told us all the unit and exact location so we can look at maps and see if they are just going a canyon or two over and coming back or staying over that way. You know just to give a clearer answer and not lead you astray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
They will be back for sure. We normally hunt areas for a couple to a few days chasing elk all day before we give them a break. Even if we blow the area up big time, if we go hunt another spot for a couple days and come back they will be there.

We also have spots where you can hunt every day of the season and there are bulls running around, you can chase them all day every day and they just run in circles.

If there not back it’s because that isn’t where they spend Sept. it has nothing to do with you bumping them.
I’m pretty certain it’s the area they spend sept as it’s the same spot where I had multiple encounters last season. That’s good to hear. As of now I’m trying to formulate my plan for opening morning and how I want to approach it. Every time I’ve bumped an elk in the area they always run the exact same way so I know their escape route and all, however hunting solo and with little experience it’s still a big challenge ha.

OP
M
It would be better if you told us all the unit and exact location so we can look at maps and see if they are just going a canyon or two over and coming back or staying over that way. You know just to give a clearer answer and not lead you astray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being my second year hunting and solo if there’s anyone in Colorado I may not be opposed to bringing someone with me. I feel pretty confident if there were 2 people last season an elk would we been killed.

I have a honey hole up high where elk love to hang out especially when the pressure is on down lower. It’s a medium sized bowl at the head of a small creek drainage. I have to lay really low because if I get busted they’ll roll around to an area that’s hard to hunt. When I kill a bull there and bring in horses to get it out the elk leave. If I wait 3 days I can take a friend back there and there will be elk. Sometimes the same elk and sometimes different ones but it’s a popular place so it doesn’t take long for them to move in after things quiet down.

Last edited:

jmcd22

WKR
They will be back but give it a few days. I bumped a group of bulls going in to place cameras...they showed back up a few days later. When we went to check said cameras, we bumped them again. I am sure they will be back when I check the cameras again.