Burn / use points on doe, Colorado

hobbes

WKR
I wouldn't burn points on a doe tag. The points take too long to aquire and buck tags are taking increasingly more points to draw. Also, I've no interest in killing mule deer does. If I want to kill a doe, I'll take whitetail does considering they taste better IMO and much more prolific than mule deer.

There are plenty of other opportunities to draw lower point buck tags or other opportunities altogether that I would not feel the need to burn points just to hunt.

However, it's your time and points, do whatever floats your boat. :)

southLA

WKR
Only way i would get a doe tag is to scout a unit for a buck tag, in a unit that didn't have OTC opportunities.

This is how I feel too. Much of the west is struggling with their mule deer numbers as a whole and it's been proven that killing the females of any species is the best way to reduce populations. I would be looking for a buck tag with a couple points or a cow elk tag if you're more of a meat hunter.
By whom?

I worked for "Dr. Deer" for several years while in college and he was advocating for shooting does way back in the 80's.

My buck:doe ratio last season in CO (observed) was 2:30

I saw a lot of damn good bucks harvested in the week I was there. Made me wonder how many of those does were even being bred.

This "don't shoot does" mentality is a holdover from the 50's and 60's and isn't supported by science.

By whom?

This "don't shoot does" mentality is a holdover from the 50's and 60's and isn't supported by science.
It's fully supported by the fact that killing females is the fastest and most effective way to reduce the population of any species. You can take it or leave it, I'm not a scientist. Whenever any managed big game population gets above objective, they target the females with additional tags and/or seasons based on science determined by biologists. Colorado is at war with their deer due to CWD and they started the wholesale massacre a few years ago based on their biologists science.

I guess we'll each have to figure out which version we'd like to believe.

It's fully supported by the fact that killing females is the fastest and most effective way to reduce the population of any species. You can take it or leave it, I'm not a scientist. Whenever any managed big game population gets above objective, they target the females with additional tags and/or seasons based on science determined by biologists. Colorado is at war with their deer due to CWD and they started the wholesale massacre a few years ago based on their biologists science.

I guess we'll each have to figure out which version we'd like to believe.
okay. you aren't a scientist and don't seem to value what professionals think, so I'm not going to argue with you.

Reactions: CCH

cnelk

WKR
There are some good areas that you can draw with 1 pp for a buck tag. Don’t waste them on a doe.
Do your research

sndmn11

WKR
By whom?

I worked for "Dr. Deer" for several years while in college and he was advocating for shooting does way back in the 80's.

My buck:doe ratio last season in CO (observed) was 2:30

I saw a lot of damn good bucks harvested in the week I was there. Made me wonder how many of those does were even being bred.

I agree, I think it results in small bucks and unbalanced herds.
(Without any reason other than my own guess)

okay. you aren't a scientist and don't seem to value what professionals think, so I'm not going to argue with you.
I absolutely value what professionals think, it was the professionals who told me to my face that killing does is the fastest way to reduce the population. Those same professionals are the ones who make harvest recommendations based on buck to doe ratio, fawn recruitment, winter kill ect.

I absolutely value what professionals think, it was the professionals who told me to my face that killing does is the fastest way to reduce the population. Those same professionals are the ones who make harvest recommendations based on buck to doe ratio, fawn recruitment, winter kill ect.
So then you don't mind if they offer doe tags then.

Weather or not they should allow harvest of females is one thing.
Killing females is definitely how they reduce heard size.
They say reducing heard size needs to be done to line up with carrying capacity, but what we need to do is exterminate wild horses and discontinue public land grazing.