Burn / use points on doe, Colorado

Mlank

FNG
I know people draw cow tags and/or antelope doe tags (not necessarily in Colorado) and go have a great time on hunts.

I haven't seen this much for Mule Deer doe. Is it a thing? Not a thing?

I ask because: I do have a few points, enjoy week long hunting trips in Colorado, and like the experience in general, but not interested in trying to accumulate the points necessary for some "premier units" nor paying much money for a guide. I happen to know a good area that would be a lot of fun; I've hunted the unit on cow tags and came across plenty of Mule Deer with no deer tag in my pocket.

Figured I'd start a conversation for brainstorming purposes and see where it goes. Thanks.

CCH

WKR
If you have points, you can find a buck tag. If I were a non-resident with the attitude you described, I’d recommend going that way. Your week of enjoyment could be pretty short if targeting a doe.

Rich M

WKR
Ha. Interested to hear more on that.
I did a bucket-list antelope hunt in 2017, first year there were no leftover tags for that unit. Was stuck with 4 doe tags and uncooperative hunt partner who happened to own and control our wheels.

Got 2 does and had 6 buck opportunities from 25 to 200 yards. Had the biggest buck we saw in 2 days of scouting at 25 yards (with 12 or so does and yearlings) at 25 yards on opening morning. Coulda had another doe but was facing wrong direction and they were just moving thru.

Won't hunt that combat unit again but need to go once more to redeem that trip. Imo, 1 doe and 1 buck tag is about perfect for a DIY long distance travel kind of hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I grew up using points for cow tags, and when I didn't draw a cow tag I bought an OTC bull tag. If you want to shoot a doe, then get a doe tag. I'm not big on deer, and even less so on doe's. But if that's what you want.......have at it. I'd pick a buck tag though......just to help extend your hunt past the first hour of hunting.

OP
M

Mlank

FNG
Maybe take a look at the draw charts before you do that.
Ha. I do see plenty of units where I can draw a buck tag. I just created a story in my head that it would be too crowded, shot out of anything more than a yearling, etc etc…

I put the unit I was thinking of in particular on a pedestal bc of the bucks I’ve seen in it, and the points needed for it. Then I second guessed everything and said I’ll just use the points and take the bird in hand in the spot I know. However, as said above, a doe would be quick work of a hunt; too quick.

OP
M

Mlank

FNG
Thanks for the replies fellas. Im glad I put this out there though, it has me refocused on a few spots that I can also burn my points and have more of an experience while chasing a buck.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Im glad I put this out there though, it has me refocused on a few spots that I can also burn my points and have more of an experience while chasing a buck.
You'll be covered up with does. LOL

This past year, I saw 32 deer in four days. Two of those were bucks. I actually kinda felt bad shooting a buck because I wondered if there were enough bucks to go around.

Reactions: CCH
Hunt if you want to hunt is my take on it. If you will be happy with a doe and having a hunt this year, go for it. If you will regret "burning" points for a doe, don't do it. I enjoy hunting every year and I try to spread out my choices to maximize my days in the field.

Why not try a new area if you can't draw the place you know? That's the best way to learn a new place. I hunt a really heavily hunted area for deer, and get a lot of satisfaction out of finding little spots that people don't get into. Even more so if I can pull a deer out of them.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted Colorado so just clarifying. They give out "Buck" tags instead of "any deer" tags? So you can only shoot a buck. In South Dakota at least they give out "any deer" tags that are good for buck or doe, then also give out "doe only" tags. No such thing as a "buck only" tag that I'm aware of

WCB

WKR
No way I would waste points and time to shoot a Mule Deer Doe. In fact, you could by the tag for me pay for all my travel and food I still wouldn't shoot one. Add to that if I could and one was standing in the back of my truck where I would simply have to shoot her then drive her to the processor with all fees paid. Still not pulling the trigger. There is almost zero areas out west that should be killing mule deer does.

Find a unit to hunt bucks in and actually hunt and not worry about just shooting something.

You can buy an over the counter any deer tag in Nebraska and kill a doe in 10 minutes . No need to travel to Colorado, unless you just want to.

No way I would waste points and time to shoot a Mule Deer Doe. In fact, you could by the tag for me pay for all my travel and food I still wouldn't shoot one. Add to that if I could and one was standing in the back of my truck where I would simply have to shoot her then drive her to the processor with all fees paid. Still not pulling the trigger. There is almost zero areas out west that should be killing mule deer does.

Find a unit to hunt bucks in and actually hunt and not worry about just shooting something.
This is how I feel too. Much of the west is struggling with their mule deer numbers as a whole and it's been proven that killing the females of any species is the best way to reduce populations. I would be looking for a buck tag with a couple points or a cow elk tag if you're more of a meat hunter.