Burning 19 points on West Beatys Butte Antelope

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Not going to wait any longer! With all the water, wet spring this year it should be a good year for horn growth. With 19 points I'm assured of a tag. I've banged around in the unit some but never during Antelope season. I plan on doing a lot of scouting throughout the summer looking for one of those magical bucks over 80" that I know are there. Any experiences, advice on the unit would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted on my scouting and hunt results!

Good luck. I should draw Warner #2 this year with 15 points. I got tired of waiting but have heard good things about the later hunt. I will be hunting hard for an 80 incher too.

Love that country down there, some of the coolest ground in the state. I’ve 18 points but will keep banking for the time being. I’m still in Alaska through September chasing Rainbows. Wish I had a good tip for you.

OP
Halfslam

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be heading down there the first part of June. Should be water everywhere so they'll be scattered.

Contact the Roaring Springs Ranch to ask for permission to hunt. Find the Ghost Town of Blitzen, the Big ones will be located close to the farmers AG fields.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Do as much research and practice as you can through your spotter field judging lopes. In my opinion its the toughest animal hands down to get a good field judge/score on before you have your hands on a harvested buck. I will say this tho, when you see those 80+ bucks you know it......a few years back I harvested a B&C all time buck and I knew he was big from miles away with my spotter.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for and hope you can find a good looking bigun.

Oregon

WKR
Love that country down there, some of the coolest ground in the state.

You meant to say “hottest, dustiest, rattlesnake infested, coolest ground in the state” during goat season. Spent last 2 bighorn sheep seasons in Beaty Butte. August.
I’m still blowing brown booger’s and applying Aloe Vera to sunburn.
Goats everywhere. Don’t tip over first 13”.

DRUSS

WKR
should be close to you as a friend should draw juniper this year. I have 18 currently but have other things going. hoping next will be better for me. I should be able to go on his hunt but wont get much scouting in. west beatys had a couple nice bucks last season seen pics of. good luck!

OP
Halfslam

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Do as much research and practice as you can through your spotter field judging lopes. In my opinion its the toughest animal hands down to get a good field judge/score on before you have your hands on a harvested buck. I will say this tho, when you see those 80+ bucks you know it......a few years back I harvested a B&C all time buck and I knew he was big from miles away with my spotter.

I aggree 100% on field judging antelope! Very tough animal to score, not much room for error. I believe mass is the key to a booner buck. They can sport good prongs and height and score fairly well but if they lack mass they'll have a tough time to push that 80" mark.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
See you out there! I am not holding out for an 80+ though this was definitely an unexpected tag draw for me. I have bigger hunts to focus on this year, and most likely will only show up once before season. let me know if you end up going alone as I will most likely be flying solo. Good luck!

lintond

WKR
Pulled Warner in the 25% pool. Time to do some scouting and figure out how to hunt antelope. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chugaglug

FNG
good luck! my father in law has 21 points now (didn't pull hart this year, we had a busy schedule this year and didn't really want him to pull this year) looking forward to hopefully hunting beattys with him next year