Burris XTR II Magnification and Reticle options

Looking at getting a new rifle scope that has long range capabilities with a turret system instead of the hash marks I currently have. I was recommended a Burris XTR II I’m planning on going with that but open for other suggestions as long as the glass is good and can track accurately. I’m not super familiar with longer range shooting and scopes so my apologies for my ignorance so I’m not sure what magnification and reticle would be best for me. I don’t ever plan on shooting past 700 or 800 yards, the current magnification I was thinking to get was 8-40x50mm. If anyone has any advice or suggestions on what reticle/magnifications to get other than what I was thinking or any other options that would be better I’d like to hear it thanks.

8-40 is more of a target scope.

The 4-20 or 5-25 will make a better hunting scope. They have FFP reticles and have illumination options. I used a 3-15x to hunt with for a year and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I have the XTR II 4-20x50 (Horus 59) and the 5-25x50 (SCR-Mil). Both scopes have 0.1 mil clicks. Both scopes track perfectly well and have decent glass. Both scopes are illuminated but I don't use it hardly at all. I have used both scopes on a 6.5 Creedmoor to hit 16 inch chest plates at 1000 yards. So depending on your rifle/ammo the scope will get you to 800 easy. I think the XTR II is a great scope especially for the price, as far as reticle it depends on your preference and what you are doing with it. I compared it to the Bushnell Elite LRTS and the Vortex Viper PST scope on tripods over a weekend in all types of light and kept the Burris and returned the others.

I am planning on selling the 5-25 since I prefer the H-59 reticle for long distance match shooting. The SCR-Mil reticle on the 5-25 is probably a better all round reticle for long distance shooting and hunting, but I like the Horus 59 for quick follow up shots on PRS style shoots. But I think the H-59 is too cluttered for most hunting. I have a Japanese made Weaver Tactical 4-20 on my varmint rifle since I like the heavier reticle lines/dots on the mid dot reticle for hunting and don't need the fine 0.2 MIL windage lines. The Weaver Tactical 3-15 and 4-20 are good scopes too. They are available with 0.1 MIL clicks which I prefer over MOA when using a Mil dot or MRAD reticle.

mlgc20

WKR
Have 2 Burris XTR ii in 5-25x50 (SCR-Mil). One is on a 6.5 Creedmoor and one on a 300 Win Mag. For the price, I don’t think you can find a better scope. The SCR-Mil reticle is a bit busy. Some don’t like that. It doesn’t bother me though. The tracking of the reticle is great. I really like the zero stop turret. IMO, the 8-40 is overkill for what you are looking to do. The 5-25 (or even the 4-20) would be sufficient for shooting targets out to 800 yards. And they would give you more flexibility on the hunting side.