Burroes

wyodan

WKR
Hoping to fire this thread back up. I am wondering if anyone has had some more experiences with the burros as I am seriously considering them.

JWP58

WKR
Hoping to fire this thread back up. I am wondering if anyone has had some more experiences with the burros as I am seriously considering them.

I have found the owner/founder of Mountain Ridge Gear to be extremely helpful and approachable via email and social media on the subject of pack burros. He is passionate about them. Might worth contacting him with any questions.

Hopefully 2019 will be the yr of the burro for me. For those not interested in riding stock, but still want pack stock I think blm burros are a great solution on many levels (cost, hardiness, capacity, and adoption helps the problem of wild horse/burro)

wyodan

WKR
I have found the owner/founder of Mountain Ridge Gear to be extremely helpful and approachable via email and social media on the subject of pack burros. He is passionate about them. Might worth contacting him with any questions.

Hopefully 2019 will be the yr of the burro for me. For those not interested in riding stock, but still want pack stock I think blm burros are a great solution on many levels (cost, hardiness, capacity, and adoption helps the problem of wild horse/burro)

Yes, I have spoken with Eric often regarding burros. I like him, and he is super helpful. But he is also quite invested in the burros, and I am trying to find some other folk's feedback on using burros. In particularly in comparison with llamas, as both burros and llamas have distinct advantages/disadvantages.

One thing I just found out that may be helpful is the TIP program. The TIP program has trainers that take in BLM burros and gentle them prior to an adopter picking them up. I will be taking this route when and if I decide burros are the way for me to go.

2018 was supposed to be the year of pack stock for me, but it might be 2019. I'm going to have to see, but I probably won't have enough dedicated time to train them if I pick them up right now.

I'm still hoping to hear more feedback from those that have used the burros.

JWP58

WKR
You might want to look into the Wyoming honor farm training program. They auction off halter broke and pack saddle broke burros. I'm sure they need finishing work, but it seems like a good place. The highest burro this spring was 545.00 most going under 300.

Fatcamp

WKR
In the movie "Unbranded" they picked up a tag along burro. I found it very interesting, and it would be worth a watch. They can really jump.