Burros

EastMont

FNG
I've got a couple in NM. I was just in Monte Vista last weekend for burro race- was supposed to be in Creede but it got moved. I'd recommend getting involved in those races, alot of us racers hunt/pack

nmpackburros.com

OP
poisonarrow

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
We packed in 8 miles. Our burros did great. There was a little drama on the way. We found they would step over dead fall if the log was smooth and not higher than their belly. If there are limbs sticking out that might poke them they would not go over. How do you get your burros used to a trailer? Ours act like it is a torture chamber.

EastMont

FNG
The logs sound about right. Getting them to jump higher logs with full packs is tough. Above knee high is about the limit for height so I carry I nice fanno 24in pack saw.

Trailering is tough. Took me about a year to get them to reliablly load in a two horse straight load. When we started out it was super rough. I had one donkey easily take 30,40 minutes to load sometimes. You just have to work on it a bunch. Load them up, let them hang out and eat, unload, and repeat for a couple weeks.

My solution was to by a two horse slant. Take the divider out and now they hop in, turn around and I take their lead ropes off. They like to ride backwards, heads towards the rear. Pretty slick.

I bought 2 donkeys last fall.....starting to train them to carry a pack saddle. Excited about their progress but they’re only 2 so still very green and nervous. Did you just head to the mountains and dive in head-first? Or would I be better off doing some local pack trips first?

I live in Kansas so rough terrain isn’t much of an option. Planning to use them on a 2021 elk hunt in Colorado.5C7211C3-9076-4F22-8AF0-1A474B6342D1.jpeg793217A2-D186-4E76-8517-D19201D15CEE.jpeg793217A2-D186-4E76-8517-D19201D15CEE.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
do a lot of work at home before you go.
take trips to different places and actually use them to haul the load you will hunt with.

a wreck in the mountains might be more than you bargain for. gear gets busted, animals get hurt and stuff gets lost.

a heavy load and a long down hill and a saddle will go right over their head.

Thank you for your advice. I plan to do some hiking around some Kansas pastures with loads on this fall. I have them trained to stay in a portable electric fence and they will also stay on a one legged picket already.I feel like we are making good progress, just want to do everything I can to make sure that our first trip to the mountains is safe and successful. Thanks again!

Bachto

WKR
Where are people finding Burros? I've been looking online and see you can adopt them from the BLM but this makes me a little nervous. Are people just using craigslist? I have a guy local that breeds pack goats so I'm looking into that pretty hard but the burros have also peaked my interest.

wyodan

WKR
Where are people finding Burros? I've been looking online and see you can adopt them from the BLM but this makes me a little nervous. Are people just using craigslist? I have a guy local that breeds pack goats so I'm looking into that pretty hard but the burros have also peaked my interest.

Look up the TIP training program. That’s where mine are coming from. It’s $125/burro adoption fee, and the trainers are paid by the mustang heritage foundation.

wyodan

WKR
Do you know anyone that has done this?

Yes. I’m doing it, a guy at work did it, numerous people in some TIP groups. They’re only basic trained. They have to load into a trailer, lead, pick up feet, and stand for grooming to meet requirements.

Bulldawg

WKR
I ran into a guy named Eric Lynn a few years ago when I was doing some outfitting on a day ride. He had a handful of donkeys and we got to chatting. He’s a great dude and owns mountainridgegear.com and makes good tack for donkeys. I never got any burros but had always wanted to get a few for packing when we needed to replace stock. His gear is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer

FNG
There are plenty out there needing a home.
When I looked around in my area I found a donkey adoption in my area. They had over 20 animals and were charging about $50 to adopt. They have many animals to pick from and overtime you could find some good ones. I bet places like these are all over the country.

When driving I often notice pastures that have 10 to 20 donkeys. Seems people get a couple and before they know it, they have to many. Drive up to a place like that and ask if they will sell one or two. A guy in my area gave 35 away over the summer. There had to be a few that would have made decent packers.

Of course want adds and craigslist etc..