Bushnell Elite LRHS 2

Dobermann

WKR
Found it ...

"The Bushnells aren’t as solid as they were, because Bushnell got rid of the people who were responsible for bringing them to fruition."

And:

Originally Posted by 4th_point

Formi,

Was it George and Pat, that you are referring to? Or were there others, such as mil/leo?

Thanks,

Jason

[Form:] "They helped, or at least George did. I’m not sure how much Pat was involved beyond the LRHS. However the drivers were the guys that ran the tactical/competition division."

There's a high noise-to-signal ratio in the rest of that thread, so no need to read it directly, really. Have added the relevant quotes above that relate to our thread here ...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Bushnell Elite Tactical’s and LRHS’s are good scopes and generally give no issues.

But, to clear it up a bit from the POV of what I posted-

Broad picture, Bushnell had people that were responsible for, or involved with the Tactical line that brought the HDMR/DMR out. In dozens and dozens of the scopes from the first years, including quite a few LRHS’s, we had no scope issues at all. Those scopes were on way more duty rifles than people would think and failures were extremely rare and in each case was not due to anything caused by the scopes themselves. Fast forward a while, a couple new scopes in a row had issues- fogging internally, tracking errors, zero retention, etc. Questions were raised, and people we had been dealing with were no longer doing what they had been. Afterwards failures while not common, did happen- the most common was leaking and fogging.

Now to the heart of it- The Bushnell Elite Tactical’s (DMR/HDMR/Pro/LRTS/LRHS/etc) are good scopes and if one fit my needs I would, and do use them without much worry. I however do check them for leaking/fogging before using them.

The Bushnell Elite Tactical’s and LRHS’s are good scopes and generally give no issues.

But, to clear it up a bit from the POV of what I posted-

Broad picture, Bushnell had people that were responsible for, or involved with the Tactical line that brought the HDMR/DMR out. In dozens and dozens of the scopes from the first years, including quite a few LRHS’s, we had no scope issues at all. Those scopes were on way more duty rifles than people would think and failures were extremely rare and in each case was not due to anything caused by the scopes themselves. Fast forward a while, a couple new scopes in a row had issues- fogging internally, tracking errors, zero retention, etc. Questions were raised, and people we had been dealing with were no longer doing what they had been. Afterwards failures while not common, did happen- the most common was leaking and fogging.

Now to the heart of it- The Bushnell Elite Tactical’s (DMR/HDMR/Pro/LRTS/LRHS/etc) are good scopes and if one fit my needs I would, and do use them without much worry. I however do check them for leaking/fogging before using them.

Were the ones that had issues illuminated versions?

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks for the longer explanation, Form.

Hard to know if the issues that crept in were a tweak in design, specs (eg glue), or simply QC ... will be interesting to know if this will be relevant for the new edition ...

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus: On a related, but different note, what are your thoughts on the LRTS vs SHV 4-14 FFP?

While the preliminary info suggests the new LRHS will be sub-$1000, the SHV is about $1200-1300 street, which would possibly be close enough for some people to want to know what the differences would be in reliability, tracking, etc.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus: On a related, but different note, what are your thoughts on the LRTS vs SHV 4-14 FFP?

I’ve not personally seen any issues with multiples of the 4-14x FFP SHV. They’ve all done what they are supposed to. The LRTS has generally been good, but as I’ve said a couple have had issues.

Due to NF checking each scope before shipping, it would make sense that probablems with them will be less than with others. But again, the Bushnell Elite Tactical’s are good scopes and the odds of someone getting one with problems is not high from what I’ve seen.

I have a Kimber 300wsm at APA right now having the barrel threaded, I planned on putting a Zeiss v4 on it . Now I'm wondering if I should wait for this Bushnell to be released.
The SHV doesn't ring my bell, I had two sent back for warranty this year. In my case, thats 100% failure rate.

LaRoche3

FNG
Hundreds of rounds and many of days looking through the new ED Prime glass in the Bushnell Elite LRHS2 . I was very satisfied and impressed with the entire package.

I was giving the opportunity to test out the new soon to be released Bushnell LRHS2 scope . Most of it was performed in Big Sky country Montana "Spring" type conditions.

The scope was mounted in NightForce lightweight rings sending 25creedmoor 131 ACE down range.

I started out the fresh barrel with some 100 yard paper . After zeroing it I dug right in with no mercy given zero handling care because it wasn't mine and I was told specifically to use it and abuse it. Kinda like thrashing around on a four wheeler that's not yours.

I shot a series of 10 shots . In between each shot I cranked the elevation turret maxed out as fast as I could then back down to zero . I did this between every shot for 10 shots. The LRHS2 gave me a 1\2 group with ten shots. I then changed heading just after setting the quick and easy to use zero stop, I went to the steel plates. Bypassed the 340yard plate and went to 520yards in 12-17mph using reticle only . Shot for shot the reticle rang true. I then starting to stretch it out a bit to 1240yards. The ED Prime glass had such a clear sight picture at steel targets ranging from 6inches to 32 inches. From 340 yards out to 1903 yards . The ED Prime glass was impressively clear under overcast Montana sky. I continued my use it and abuse it tasks of cranking on the elevation knob and new locking windage turret as much as I could. Banging the stock on the ground and spinning the turrets as fast as I could in between just about every shot throughout the day . The turrets never skipped a beat. In combination of using the mil FFP reticle at all 4.5 x18 magnifications the LHRS2 continued to perform and track flawlessly.

The reticle reads true and is the same format as the Gen1 . I engaged targets using the FFP reticle combined at every magnification increments with strong wind gusts with dust never perminetly sticking to the glass coatings.

As said prior the wind was exceptionally gusty in Big Sky country at times which gave us plenty of opportunities for big wind holds and wind turret dialing. The new addition of the pull push locking windage turret knob is a really great new feature and much needed in the LRHS2 scope. A 30mm tube with 10 mils per revelation on both elevation and turret knobs.

The newly added throw lever has excellent tension. It takes less effort than my Bushnell DMR2 and is stiffer than my NightForce NXS . Very simple and comfortable thumb push and the size is basically perfect in my opinion with plenty of room to roll the bolt on the Remy700 action.

Elevation knob has excellent positive clicks in both sound and feel. The zero stop is like hitting a brick wall. Absolutely zero worries of either turret knobs adjusting while bumping around ATV's , behind truck seats , barricades or harnessed over the shoulder etc.

We were able to compare the LRHS2 to various of other top brand scopes ranging from and including the original LRHS , VortexRazor, NightForce NXS and ATACR, Leupold MK5, and Tangent. The LHRS2 ED glass held it's own and everyone was vastly impressed with the comparisons made at all hours of the day and weather conditions.

The ED Prime glass, Throw lever and Locking windage turret are the main added features to the scope. I'm uncertain if the guts are any different. The edge to edge clarity had zero shadowing at all magnifications at sun setting hours . The reticle gets a bit bold at 18x as to be expected from most FFP systems . Also the eye box is very generous at all magnifications.

I couldn't find anything negitive about this scope as I would like to show some type of Pros vs Cons variable in here. I guess if an Ultra compact lightweight was desired . You'd want to look elsewhere but in reality at a meir 27oz it's still on the lighter end of scopes with compatible rugedness and magnification . The scope is not terribly long at 14 inches but neither is it compact. Given the 30mm tube , 4.5x18 magnification range, crystal clear glass , durable turrets and excellent tracking. It makes for a great hunting scope in all terrains \ and competition cross over with it's reticle similar to the G3 reticle that's become very popular in the PRS .

At the price for this scope of $879 at presale cost . I'd say in my opinion that other comparable scopes in the $1600+ ish range that I've handled , better step up their game. This Bushnell LRHS2 has a price point and ruggedness thats going to be tuff to match.

GA Precision Presale May 1 - June 1. $879. After June 1st they will be $939

PXL_20210417_175803228.jpgIMG_20210422_112057.jpgIMG_20210422_112108.jpgIMG_20210422_112103.jpg

kpk

WKR
Has it been determined if this is going to be a limited run or if this will stay in production awhile? Or will it just depend how the release goes?

wildcat33

WKR
Really like my two 3-12 LRTS scopes. Glad to see these back in production, but can't help feeling that Bushnell missed an opportunity to upgrade these to trim up the form factor. Not offensively overweight, but 27oz is pretty chunky.

If Bushy could build a ~20oz (or sub 20oz!) contender for the 3-9 SWFA, that would really make some waves in my pond.

LaRoche3

FNG
Really like my two 3-12 LRTS scopes. Glad to see these back in production, but can't help feeling that Bushnell missed an opportunity to upgrade these to trim up the form factor. Not offensively overweight, but 27oz is pretty chunky.

If Bushy could build a ~20oz (or sub 20oz!) contender for the 3-9 SWFA, that would really make some waves in my pond.
If Bushy made a 20oz 2.5x10 or 12x LRHS2. They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand for a long time. It would be a very hot item

Wrench

WKR
If Bushy made a 20oz 2.5x10 or 12x LRHS2. They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand for a long time. It would be a very hot item

100%. the 12x lrhs is my reference standard for hunting scopes. The price to value is incredible. The performance leaves nothing to be desired and the size is very reasonable for the performance.

I wish I had a dozen of them.

BAKPAKR

WKR
100%. the 12x lrhs is my reference standard for hunting scopes. The price to value is incredible. The performance leaves nothing to be desired and the size is very reasonable for the performance.

I wish I had a dozen of them.
I wish I had one 🙁

Might have to try one of these out after they start hitting the used market. I have 2 of the original 12x and they are some of my favorite Hunting scopes.

Mine showed up today. I heard the first shipment didn't cover all of the pre-orders. My review: Feels/looks like a LRHS/LRTS. I can look at nitpicking any optical differences/improvements side by side when its on a rifle but i'm plenty happy with glass on the first gen.

Just an FYI - I couldn't get the windage turret unlocked at first so I texted Sikes at GAP who's also a team bushnell guy. He told me there is a grease/o-ring seal that causes some vacuum and its tough to pull out the first time occasionally. I commenced with pulling like I have a pair and it unlocked.

Last edited: