Bushnell Engage EDX Binoculars

Does anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Engage EDX series of binoculars? Ive looked through a ton of forums and sites but cant find much im the way of comparisons to other similar products like the Vortex Diamondback HDs. To my eye they are very impressive, especially considering their cost, but Im not sure if this is just my inexperience showing. How much of an improvement would something like a pair of Vortex Razors be comparatively?

eric1115

WKR
I have not looked through the Engage, but the pair of Forge's I looked through were surprisingly good. I see your spotting scope posts as well, what do you have now and what are you looking to achieve? All around hunting setup? Do you have a tripod?

Edit to respond to the last part of your question:
If you look through these next to a pair of Razors (or better) midday, hand held, you may not notice much difference. Put them on a tripod, beginning or end of day when the light isn't great, and you'll see a ton of difference.

OP
R
I have not looked through the Engage, but the pair of Forge's I looked through were surprisingly good. I see your spotting scope posts as well, what do you have now and what are you looking to achieve? All around hunting setup? Do you have a tripod?

Edit to respond to the last part of your question:
If you look through these next to a pair of Razors (or better) midday, hand held, you may not notice much difference. Put them on a tripod, beginning or end of day when the light isn't great, and you'll see a ton of difference.
I currently dont have anything binocular or spotting scope wise. Just got my gun license in November and have been slowly setting everything up. My hunting rifle is a Tikka t3 in 3006 with a bushnell nitro 3-12x44 scope. Got a sig kilo 1000 bdx rangefinder and now im looking for a good pair of binos and a spotter to finish up my setup. A tripod will be the next thing I start looking for.

Is the low light performance something I can partially compensate for by jumping up from a 42mm objective to a 50mm?

eric1115

WKR
If I were in your shoes, I would 100% put your entire budget into good binoculars and a tripod instead of trying to get budget binoculars, budget tripod, and budget to mid-range spotting scope.

There is zero question in my mind that you would be better served by a $1,000 pair of binoculars on a $300 tripod instead of a $300 pair of binoculars and $900 spotting scope on a $100 tripod. You'll see more game, have a more enjoyable experience doing it, and if you ever decide to sell it you will get more of your money back out of it.

10x50 binos don't get you the additional performance that they seem like they would. You'll get a bigger exit pupil with a larger objective, but for the most part your eye pupil won't dilate enough to make use of that. Better glass quality, better coatings will have a much bigger impact than objective lens diameter. There's no free lunch with optics.

Last edited: