Bushnell Forge 8x42 vs Steiner HX 8x42

Elk830

FNG
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between the Bushnell Forge 8x42 and the Steiner HX 8x42 binoculars. The Steiners I'm looking at are about $230 more than the Bushnells and I was wondering if I'd notice a significant difference in clarity with the jump up in price.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
You're likely aren't getting responses because there are better glass options for the money you are looking to spend on the Steiners. You can get refurbished Nikon Monarch HG's for $699 and a few times a year they are on sale for $499. Tract Torics are good choices as well for $684. I'd pick up up some used Vortex Razors over the Steiners any day. There are some Japan built ones in the classified right now and they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. You can find some used Zeiss Conquest HD's for similar money and once again, better glass.

If you want to stay at the cheaper price point of the Forges, check out Maven C series which will be better optically but to answer your question, yes, I'd spend a bit more and get some glass you will be happy with for a lifetime such as those I mentioned above.

Kevin T

FNG
You're likely aren't getting responses because there are better glass options for the money you are looking to spend on the Steiners. You can get refurbished Nikon Monarch HG's for $699 and a few times a year they are on sale for $499. Tract Torics are good choices as well for $684. I'd pick up up some used Vortex Razors over the Steiners any day. There are some Japan built ones in the classified right now and they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. You can find some used Zeiss Conquest HD's for similar money and once again, better glass.

If you want to stay at the cheaper price point of the Forges, check out Maven C series which will be better optically but to answer your question, yes, I'd spend a bit more and get some glass you will be happy with for a lifetime such as those I mentioned above.
Sorry to hijack thread but saw your listing for the zeiss 8x32’s but I’m a newbie so can’t post. Very interested if we can somehow get it done. Also couldn’t find PM option

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG

What's the reason that the Steiners wouldn't be worth it if I might ask. Would it be lens clarity, or something else? I've never purchased high-end binoculars btw.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Not that they wouldn't be worth it, just that as a brand Steiner can be hit or miss and there's a bunch of really good optics for the same money that get consistently great reviews. Steiner got bought out by Burris Optics several years ago so it's tough to tell what is made where. They just aren't a super popular hunting optic. 377 @ 1000 yards isn't very good in todays world of 8x42s. The Nikon's I mentioned are a 435 yard FOV which is almost 60 yards wider while weighing 4 oz less and having a superior optical view.

Last edited:
OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Not that they wouldn't be worth it, just that as a brand Steiner can be hit or miss and there's a bunch of really good optics for the same money that get consistently great reviews. Steiner got bought out by Burris Optics several years ago so it's tough to tell what is made where. They just aren't a super popular hunting optic.
By the same money do you mean optics that retail for around $550 (Which is what the HXs I can get are) are as good as the HXs, which are going for $810 retail right now?

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
The Nikons I mentioned retail for $1000 but refurbs which are basically new can be had for $499 if you wait for the sales on Nikon's website. Torics go on sale for similar money a couple times a year. Look back at my earlier post above which I edited outining the dramatic difference in specs.

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on the classifieds here for optics. I just sold some Conquest HD's today for similar money that were like new and were better than the Steiners across the board.

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
The Nikons I mentioned retail for $1000 but refurbs which are basically new can be had for $499 if you wait for the sales on Nikon's website. Torics go on sale for similar money a couple times a year. Look back at my earlier post above which I edited outining the dramatic difference in specs.

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on the classifieds here for optics. I just sold some Conquest HD's today for similar money that were like new and were better than the Steiners across the board.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the insight.

ZDR

WKR
As above, watch the classifieds...some good deals there. Also, you can contact @gr8fuldoug who is part of CameralandNY. He is on here frequently and treats Roksliders well.