Bushnell Legend binos

I’ve been hunting for a bargain pair of binoculars, and Bushnell Legends keep popping up as an option. From reviews and comments of forums, it seems like with the Legend you get good optical performance for the price point. The Legend M-series gets talked about a lot as competing with Vortex Vipers as far as glass goes. The L-series is well reviewed also.

For around $130 you can grab some Legend Ultra binoculars with ED glass, but they are the model that was replaced by the L and M series. Seems like quality control was not phenomenal and the warranty was not as good, and some reviews say the eye relief is finicky.

Can anyone comment on these binoculars, especially the Legend Ultra HD?

The other binoculars I’m considering are the Cabelas Intensity binos, which impressed me in the store. The Cabelas warranty situation bothers me though.

I have some legend m 8x42 for backups or loaners. Optically, super impressive for the price! To my eyes, they are hands down a better view then my vipers! The focus knob is atrocious, and the hinge has gotten a little looser then I’d like. But for the price, can’t beat them! I also happened to try the intensity from cabelas before I got the bushnells, and I absolutely hated them. To my eyes, the glass was terrible. Very disappointed. Way,way worse then diamondbacks even. Get the bushnells!

slatty

WKR
I had Legend ultra HDs for 5 years. I find vipers a class above them. The edge clarity is the biggest noticeable difference for me. That's comparing 5 year old legends to new vipers. I was quite impressed with their new engage binos, for the price. I sold mine on here for $175. Just another opinion...

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Starting around the $250 range at least for roof prism binoculars you can find "phase coated optics". I have a Pentax WP 8x42 set and the clarity and the brightness is amazing, even compared to glasses with the same exit pupil.

My wife's Legend M 8x42's are some of the best binoculars, bar none, I've ever looked through. I would put them up against just about anything under $1k - seriously. Legend M's are a cut above the other Legends and WAY above the original Legend Ultra HD's from years ago.

I have some legend m 8x42 for backups or loaners. Optically, super impressive for the price! To my eyes, they are hands down a better view then my vipers! The focus knob is atrocious, and the hinge has gotten a little looser then I’d like. But for the price, can’t beat them! I also happened to try the intensity from cabelas before I got the bushnells, and I absolutely hated them. To my eyes, the glass was terrible. Very disappointed. Way,way worse then diamondbacks even. Get the bushnells!
Agreed on the focus knob, but since they are the only pair of bins my wife has ever owned, she doesn't know any better. She absolutely loves her Legend M's. I had her compare them to my Zeiss Conquest HD's and a pair of Leica Trinovid HD's and she liked the Legend M's better. And I can't say she's wrong. They are that good.

Reviving this thread, since it helped me decide on getting a pair of Legend M 10x42s for my wife. She only uses them for backyard animal watching, so I did not want to spend a mint. Definitely a good back up for my Vortex binos.

These are really nice binoculars. On her pair, the focus knob is silky smooth. Maybe they get grainy when dirty, or maybe we just got a good knob. For under $200, I would say some of the best binoculars you can get. Definitely a good back up for my Vortex HDs if needed.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread, since it helped me decide on getting a pair of Legend M 10x42s for my wife. She only uses them for backyard animal watching, so I did not want to spend a mint. Definitely a good back up for my Vortex binos.

These are really nice binoculars. On her pair, the focus knob is silky smooth. Maybe they get grainy when dirty, or maybe we just got a good knob. For under $200, I would say some of the best binoculars you can get. Definitely a good back up for my Vortex HDs if needed.
I've heard varying reports on the focus knobs. My wife's pair are smooth, but just have a little "slack" in them. I find it annoying but she doesn't notice it.

I've recently picked up a pair of original 8x32 Legends (not the Ultra HD's or L or M) and they are superb. I actually like them more than my buddy's Ultra HD's, which themselves are still very good for the price.

I'd put the original Bushnell Legends in the "best buy" category for under $150 (used). Outstanding image quality and build for that price.

It kinda depends on which "ultra HD" you're talking about. The first "Ultra HD" came out quite some time ago - before the Legend series. They change names so often it's hard to keep up sometimes.

I was looking at the ones in the lineup on their website where it looks like the M used to be.

Man, if you can navigate that mess of names, you're a better man than me. I thought the "Forge" replaced the Legend series, but how would anyone know these days. Bushnell is practically spamming the market with models these days. Terrible strategy IMO, but I guess it works for them.

Man, if you can navigate that mess of names, you're a better man than me. I thought the "Forge" replaced the Legend series, but how would anyone know these days. Bushnell is practically spamming the market with models these days. Terrible strategy IMO, but I guess it works for them.

Ya their model lines are ridiculous. I don’t get it. I’ll just keep it simple and get the 10x42 on amazon that actually says M series on it. Not sure why they would discontinue it, pretty dumb.

All I know is the M's are legit. Every time I look through my wife's Legend M 8x42's, I'm like damn. How did they do that?

Optics is just the one thing I haven’t gone big on yet. Just sold my diamondbacks and from the reviews on here it’s a clear winner at the price. I think my wife will need a pair as well 😉

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord