Bushnell LRTS 3-12?

wildcat33

WKR
Im cleaning house and looking to build consistency across multiple rifles and wanting to put the same scope on a T1x and 223 T3x. Currently they wear an Athlon Ares BTR 3-15 and a SWFA 3-9. Nothing wrong with these scopes per-se, but looking for something different. Not buying another Athlon and looking for a bit more magnification than the 3-9 SWFA. The LRTS 3-12 from Cameraland has got my attention. General feedback from 24hr and around here seems to be generally very good.

Any updated thinking on this scope? Fatal flaws to be aware of?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the several of the 18x, big brother to that scope, on a couple of different rifles since they came out. (LRTS and LRHS) Those scopes have all tracked like they had eyes. I don’t think you can beat them for the price. I like both reticles a lot too. There isn’t anything wrong with the SWFA scopes, but I think Bushnell hit a home run when they made the LRTS/LRHS scopes. If you decide to go that route I don’t think you will be disappointed.

mechengr

FNG
I actually just yesterday picked up my LRTSi from the post office. I couldn't pass on Camera Land's presidents day sale on the 3-12 illuminated! Yes it's heavy, but with only being a 44 mm objective the weight is not floating way above the bore so it feels much less top heavy than I was expecting. What I like so much about it is the reticle and illumination. It's a somewhat heavy reticle, but for hunting I actually prefer that. Even on 3x it's not hard to pick up the reticle, and with the excellent illumination it'll be good to go.

If I had one drawback, it would be that the magnification ring is timed strangely. By that, I mean that in order to get into 3x, you need to rotate CCW all the way to about the 8:00 position. Then, in 12x it rotates 180° to to around the 2:00 position. I'm guessing they did that to avoid getting the throw lever in the way of operating the bolt, it's just a bit ergonomically odd to work with if you're using your trigger hand to run the power ring. Not a deal breaker for me since the reticle is FFP.

Sorry this post got kind of long, but in short I would highly recommend this scope for a hunting rifle if you don't mind the weight!

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Appreciate the info. Not worried about weight on these guns. Truth be told I’d pick the 18 power model if that was on sale as well.

OutdoorAg

WKR
JMO, but I really like the FDE LRTS on the black tikkas. Looks great. And I think you’ll be really happy with those scopes.

What ring set up got lower? SportsMatch or the other on the rail?

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
JMO, but I really like the FDE LRTS on the black tikkas. Looks great. And I think you’ll be really happy with those scopes.

What ring set up got lower? SportsMatch or the other on the rail?

Agreed, the FDE looks slick.
Sportsmatch is just a touch lower

BCD

WKR
I was looking at these as well but they are awfully heavy. Has anyone used one on low power in the timber? Wondering how difficult it is to see the reticle?

Thanks!!

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
The reticle can definitely be difficult to see on the lowest power settings over darker backgrounds in dim lighting. However, when illuminated, there is no problem seeing the reticle at any power.