Bushnell Prime Compact Spotter

OXN939

WKR
There have been a few threads asking about compact spotter options lately, so I figured I'd pass on some SA about a recent acquisition. Got my Bushnell Prime 16-48x50 spotting scope a few weeks ago, as the previous spotter I owned, while fantastic optically, monopolized space in my pack. The idea was an entire package (spotting scope plus tripod) that doesn't force the decision between spotter and binos for backpack style hunts. Paired with a Vortex Summit SS-P, the Bushnell does not- the package shown below clocks in at under 4 pounds, with the Prime being exactly half of that, and is quite svelte. Standard Nalgene shown for size comparison.

20191217_123024.jpg

Bushnell sends the Prime spotter in a knockoff Pelican case. Kind of cool. It also includes a plastic tripod, the head of which can be used as a car window mount. Not the quality of the pictured Vortex setup, but useful to keep in the truck. The scope itself is solid and sturdy-feeling, with a rubberized exterior. Objective and ocular lenses have covers that are both attached and don't feel likely to break off, which is something many much more expensive spotters I've used lack. Adjustments are easy to use, and focus knob is knurled to allow use with gloves. The sunshade also extends about an inch and a half from the shown retracted position.

20191217_122906.jpg

Regarding the most important category of optical performance, I was quite impressed. Image quality is sharp and clear. I used a flock of Mergansers between 300 and 350 yards away as my test target, and could see individual feathers at that distance. Did my best without a phone skope to convey the quality you see through the optic- you'll have to trust me when I say it's much better in person than what is shown below. My biggest negative observation is that light transmission does appear to suffer towards the top 25% or so of its magnification range. In most conditions, it's probably not enough to be a game changing conern, but I can see this being a limitation at dawn or dusk. I'd also observe that the same effect happens with spotters costing 2 or 3 times as much as the Prime.

20191218_122744.jpg

Overall, I think this thing punches way above its pay grade. It's definitely worth consideration if you're into downsizing spotters and are not concerned with counting annuli at a thousand yards, or if you just want a spotting scope that doesn't cost as much as an entire Western big game trip (the scope in this review retails for $300, and they make a version in 20-60x65). I had never owned anything by Bushnell prior to this, but I think they did an excellent job with the Prime.