Bushnell vs nightforce

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I've narrowed down my next scope to either the Bushnell lrhs2 4.5-18 or the nightforce SHV 4-14 f1. I've searched a bunch and got some information but would like your guys opinions. Looking at the$1k price range. I know swfa is highly regarded but I want this scope asap to start practicing with it.

The scope will be going on a 7mm rem mag t3x that is used strictly for hunting (and practice) at ranges from 10 yards to 500 yards.

I'm currently using a vortex viper which is junk, has been warrantied, a tight eye box/poor eye relief, and not particularly clear glass at max mag.

I'm really interested in ffp for the correct subtensions at any mag.

Some reviews say the NF has a poor reticle at low power and the lrhs2 has the donut of death for really close range. I would like illumination but not a need if the reticle is visible in lower power and light.

I prefer new because there is usually a good reason a person is selling a used scope but maybe rokslide classified is better...

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

This is the first time I’ve ever seen Nightforce and Bushnell mentioned in the same sentence. If you are looking for opinions, I would get Nightforce beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have 4. In addition to the SHV, look at the NXS. The NXS has gone down in price as a result of the NX8 line. I would also NOT get a “tactical” reticle, get something along the lines of a regular MOAR, not MOAR-T. Like you said, the reticle is very fine on low power with an F1, so I prefer a larger reticle because of that.

this is actually a reasonable comparison and shopping dilemma given the current options that are available off the shelf right now. if the LRHS2 was illuminated it would be an easy choice, but it's not so........tough call overall. NF probably has better/quicker resale value and is almost certainly more durable. Bushnell reticle is probably better. Either should do a pretty good job for you, but speaking from experience 4.5x at 10 yards makes for a tough shot.

I was choosing between the same 2 scopes last fall for my 6.8 western. I ended up choosing the bushnell for a couple reasons. I like that the bushnell was a little lighter weight and had a 44 mm objective versus a 50 mm. I’ve had no problems with the donut reticle in low light low mag situations. The bushnell was also a little bit cheaper but I didn’t put very much weight in that aspect. I’m happy with the bushnell but I think I’d be just as happy with the night force.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I was choosing between the same 2 scopes last fall for my 6.8 western. I ended up choosing the bushnell for a couple reasons. I like that the bushnell was a little lighter weight and had a 44 mm objective versus a 50 mm. I’ve had no problems with the donut reticle in low light low mag situations. The bushnell was also a little bit cheaper but I didn’t put very much weight in that aspect. I’m happy with the bushnell but I think I’d be just as happy with the night force.
Thanks. With your Bushnell do you find the elevation turret ever moves when it's slung or on a backpack? In my mind I wish the turret locked, but it may be a non issue. Same with the eye piece. Does that ever move on you? My current scope the fast focus eye piece moves if not taped in place. And last q since you have one... This is going on a left handed gun, does it seem like the mag throw lever would clear a bolt on the left side?

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
this is actually a reasonable comparison and shopping dilemma given the current options that are available off the shelf right now. if the LRHS2 was illuminated it would be an easy choice, but it's not so........tough call overall. NF probably has better/quicker resale value and is almost certainly more durable. Bushnell reticle is probably better. Either should do a pretty good job for you, but speaking from experience 4.5x at 10 yards makes for a tough shot.
I know it's not apples to apples but last year I shot a deer at 10-12 yards with my vortex scope on about 5 power and didn't have a problem. I find I didnt need less mag then that at least in that scenario. but not sure about these scopes. If they would make the lrhs2 with illumination in 3-12 it would already be on my gun. Thanks for your thoughts.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks. With your Bushnell do you find the elevation turret ever moves when it's slung or on a backpack? In my mind I wish the turret locked, but it may be a non issue. Same with the eye piece. Does that ever move on you? My current scope the fast focus eye piece moves if not taped in place. And last q since you have one... This is going on a left handed gun, does it seem like the mag throw lever would clear a bolt on the left side?

Turret movement is a non-issue with either.
Eye piece movement is a non-issue.
You can remove the lever on the Bushnell so that it is a hump, I do think it would get in the way of a left hand bolt, but maybe not the Tikka.

There are pictures of the reticles in the links above, of course, the LRHS2 is slightly different but you should get the idea.

I have a 3-12 LRTS if that interest you.

sram9102

WKR
I have the shv 4-14 F1 and don't think I have ever worried about the reticle. I usually carry it around set at 6x though. I like the 50mm for light gathering and feel like I could shoot well before or after legal shooting light. I can't recall ever having either turret move packing it around. Its heavy but I wasn't trying to go ultralight with my rifle.

I haven’t experienced any unwanted movement from my eyepiece or turret yet, but that’s not to say it couldn’t happen. The eyepiece on mine is pretty stiff and I don’t worry about it at all although it could loosen up with time and become an issue. As far as the turret goes the zero stop is very solid so I always check if it’s zeroed before making any adjustments or taking a shot. The mag throw lever could be an issue for you but it is removable. This is it mounted in Talley mids on my xbolt with it turned down to 4.5 power.

Attachments

• 09B23412-281E-4D77-832E-16392A74A79F.jpeg
    09B23412-281E-4D77-832E-16392A74A79F.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 5C74033B-87F6-4064-B1F7-00E62B1443DA.jpeg
    5C74033B-87F6-4064-B1F7-00E62B1443DA.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
There are pictures of the reticles in the links above, of course, the LRHS2 is slightly different but you should get the idea.

I have a 3-12 LRTS if that interest you.

Those are some good tests, definitely made me cringe on those drops, but they seemed very realistic to what could happen in the field. Both choices seemed to fair pretty well. I am fairly certain I know the range your at in the video. Knowing that and assuming we likely hunt similar areas, which scope would you choose? I think I know your answer based on what you keep on your hunting rifle (SHV).

If your offering to sell your lrts I appreciate it but I have a mental hurdle with used precision pieces that would always nag me, that is of course unless the price is too good to pass up, which I would not expect.

I just went through a similar decision. I went with the Bushnell and have been more than happy with my choice. The Bushnell had more going for it than the NF in my opinion. I’ve had no issues with turret movement on mine and the zero stops is very solid.

SouthPaw

WKR
I have a 3-12 LRTS on my Browning A-bolt left handed, which is only a 60 degree bolt travel. The scope throw lever does get in the way at 3x. By 4x, the bolt clears but your fingers may contact. As others mentioned, just remove it and there is still a nub that works just fine given its a smooth mag adjustment.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t experienced any unwanted movement from my eyepiece or turret yet, but that’s not to say it couldn’t happen. The eyepiece on mine is pretty stiff and I don’t worry about it at all although it could loosen up with time and become an issue. As far as the turret goes the zero stop is very solid so I always check if it’s zeroed before making any adjustments or taking a shot. The mag throw lever could be an issue for you but it is removable. This is it mounted in Talley mids on my xbolt with it turned down to 4.5 power.

Thank you for the pictures and good to hear you haven't experienced any turret or eyepiece movement. Looks like the throw lever would be a no go. Potentially that hump might even interfere with how low the sports match rings I have are, only one way to find out unless someone else has a lh t3x with that scope and t084 rings. I'm not against different rings but really like low mounted scopes. Plus I doubt the 50mm Bell of the SHV would even work with those mounts.

sram9102

WKR
I don't know about the throw level on the lrhs but the to84 rings work just fine with the shv on a factory tikka contour. I had them on mine before I had to go up a height when I got a switch lug installed.

OP
B

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I know with certainty I've seen @Formidilosus post a phot of an SHV F1 in sportsmatch T084's. No clue which thread that photo is in though.
Ahh good to know. My viper with a 44mm bell is just about touching the barrel but it's probably because I have to have the scope so far back to get a half way decent sight picture at max mag.