Butchering black bear

If I'm fortunate to harvest a black bear this September, the guide typically packs to locker immediately. What do ya'll recommend as far as roasts, steaks, sausage, etc..., for black bear meat? I've also read a lot recently about making absolutely certain to keep the fat.

Thank you in advance!

rclouse79

WKR
I butchered my own. I highly recommend keeping the entire front shoulder together for a roast. It is one of the best things I have eaten. I have tried to reproduce the recipe with deer and antelope and it isn’t close to as good. I keep everything else together in big muscle groups for roasts. I usually cook bear low and slow all day after browning to make sure I don’t have to worry about triconosis. Good choice to render the fat!

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you for all the replies so far. Are the backstraps and tenderloins on a black bear worth keeping separate, or do you normally just throw them in the grind?

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Treat those back straps and tenderloins as you would any other game meat. I wish I had kept the fat for rendering! Trim your cuts though, the fat can spoil in the freezer.
Keep those shanks (forearms/legs) as well. My wife's favorite preparation of anything I've made is bear osso bucco.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Bear breakfast sausage is one of my favorites! Burgers are great too. I haven't had to add fat to it, it's great without anything extra. Another go-to is cutting some of the roasts into strips for stir fry. Bone-in shanks are also excellent

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Treat those back straps and tenderloins as you would any other game meat. I wish I had kept the fat for rendering! Trim your cuts though, the fat can spoil in the freezer.
Keep those shanks (forearms/legs) as well. My wife's favorite preparation of anything I've made is bear osso bucco.
Thank you for confirming the loins/tenderloins, and I wholeheartedly agree on the shanks. Whitetail shanks are incredible smoked @ 225 until they're falling off the bone. Super tender and the meat separates nicely from the tendons.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
So if I'm putting an order into the locker, I will focus on the following, and ironically enough this is almost exactly how I butcher my whitetails:

Keep:
-Rump and sirloin roasts from the hinds
-All 4 shanks
-Backstraps/tenderloins
-Front shoulders for "butt" roast
-Trimmed fat for rendering

Grind:
-Rib, flank, brisket, etc...

Hopefully the locker is willing to just hold the meat in a cooler until the hunt is over and I can take home and butcher myself. However, if they don't offer this service, at least I'll have a game plan.

Thank you for all the replies!

JoeDirt

WKR
Im really wanting to try a cured and smoked bear ham for Christmas.

I did a 40# pork ham a few years back 🤤🤤🤤

Fingers crossed I have a good tag in my pocket just too much snow right now.

So if I'm putting an order into the locker, I will focus on the following, and ironically enough this is almost exactly how I butcher my whitetails:

Keep:
-Rump and sirloin roasts from the hinds
-All 4 shanks
-Backstraps/tenderloins
-Front shoulders for "butt" roast
-Trimmed fat for rendering

Grind:
-Rib, flank, brisket, etc...

Hopefully the locker is willing to just hold the meat in a cooler until the hunt is over and I can take home and butcher myself. However, if they don't offer this service, at least I'll have a game plan.

Thank you for all the replies!
When you put your order in, did they give you a price? I'm going on my first black bear hunt in eastern washington later this year

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
I ground the shoulders, cured and smoked the hindquarters into hams, and made schnitzel with the back straps. It did not last long.

suda0402

FNG
I butchered my own. I highly recommend keeping the entire front shoulder together for a roast. It is one of the best things I have eaten. I have tried to reproduce the recipe with deer and antelope and it isn’t close to as good. I keep everything else together in big muscle groups for roasts. I usually cook bear low and slow all day after browning to make sure I don’t have to worry about triconosis. Good choice to render the fat!
Do you mind sharing your recipe. I just shot my first black bear on Sunday and also butcher my animals