Butchering knives - what do you use.

Did an upgrade last year from my outdoor edge game processing set.

I went heavy and built a nice set. Bought some wusthof knives and some victorinox. They all do fine but man, I butchered a whole whitetail with one of the 6” victorinox boning knives and it would still shave. Didn’t need another knife at all. These things are great.

I got the victorinox after watching the bearded butcher videos on YouTube. Used it on 5 deer this year. I felt like it sped up my processing times significantly. It’s just the perfect size and shape for me, especially when it comes to processing trim meat which takes the longest anyways.

Trial153

WKR
I break and cut anything that ever lived with a 8 inch curved breaking knife and and 10 cimeter slaughter knife. If i was boneing out a lot of chucks i would have 6 inch thin curved flexible boner as well....
Vickys are decent knives not the best nor the worst. Most are 440 which is ok for what you pay for it. It will steel back its edge fairly easy.

OP
Desk Jockey
I break and cut anything that ever lived with a 8 inch curved breaking knife and and 10 cimeter slaughter knife. If i was boneing out a lot of chucks i would have 6 inch thin curved flexible boner as well....
Vickys are decent knives not the best nor the worst. Most are 440 which is ok for what you pay for it. It will steel back its edge fairly easy.

What is the next level beyond victorinox? I won’t be due for another upgrade for a while but curious what else is out there.

EastMT

WKR
I swear by the vickys, I’ve been wanting to try one of these. Apparently they only sell them in Europe as far as I can see, but look stout

c5d8a129b24ae67dc61172be9fc25053.jpg

Trial153

WKR
What is the next level beyond victorinox? I won’t be due for another upgrade for a while but curious what else is out there.
Youd have to pick and chose.For example i have a wusthof classic 6 curved boning knife with pinned scales. Its a step up from a similar profiled Victorinox though its probably 4 times the cost. Henckels makes a great straight flexaible boner as well.

Pretty much f dick, Victorinox and dex russ are all the meat floor standards, they are cheap and they work.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the same two Victorinox boning knifes to cut all my game meat for the last 5-6 years and couldn’t be more impressed at how well they hold and edge. These knifes are hard to beat for the money.

bought 6 boning 6” Vick’s from Amazon for $7 a few years back for processing. Dad bought 3. Wife stole one for the kitchen and I’ve hidden the other two. I have since bought a fillet knife, skinner, couple pairing knives, and 10” breaker great value for the knife you get. The boning get the hardest use of any of my knives 84668C33-9DB3-41DC-B207-91434B875F52.jpeg

tdot

WKR
I decided to change from using the 6" Victorinox semi flex boning knife. So I added the 5"... perfect.

I have one of their filet knives. Still prefer to use the boning knife for many of the same tasks.

If I want to get fancy while slicing larger cuts, I have a large scimitar style butcher knife. That used to see alot more use, but I'm so much more comfortable with the boning knives that I find I use them for the same tasks that I used to use the scimitar for.

I think the comfort with one knife is what is becoming important. Having 6 knives to choose from is awesome, but I just dont process animals all year long, so I dont get comfortable with the other options.

Mike 338

WKR
It pretty much doesn't matter so long as it's sharp and you can keep it sharp. Something medium length and not to thick works well. If your a real butcher, you already know what you like.

Azone

WKR
I have a 10 inch Victorniox breaking knife for fast work of big chunks. Then I have a couple 6 inch Dexter Russell boning knives for the smaller, finer details where that sword of a breaking knife is not neccessary. They all seem to hold a edge pretty good, thinking of adding a six inch boning knife to the kill kit permanently. So much easier breaking an animal down with one versus a regular pocket knife or Havalon.

OP
Desk Jockey
I have a 10 inch Victorniox breaking knife for fast work of big chunks. Then I have a couple 6 inch Dexter Russell boning knives for the smaller, finer details where that sword of a breaking knife is not neccessary. They all seem to hold a edge pretty good, thinking of adding a six inch boning knife to the kill kit permanently. So much easier breaking an animal down with one versus a regular pocket knife or Havalon.

Interesting thought about adding a boning knife to the kill kit. My Havalon has been dropping blades 1-2x per animal. Sucks to try and fish a razor blade out of a bloody chest cavity by headlamp. I really like the replaceable blade thing but the performance this past season (3 deer, 4-6 blade drops) has me looking at options. I am waiting on a replacement from hAvalon CS but if it doesn't work I will be in the market for another knife. I hadn't consider adding a boning knife or two to the kill kit. They weigh 4oz each so you are talking an oz more than a piranta and a few blades.

Azone

WKR
Interesting thought about adding a boning knife to the kill kit. My Havalon has been dropping blades 1-2x per animal. Sucks to try and fish a razor blade out of a bloody chest cavity by headlamp. I really like the replaceable blade thing but the performance this past season (3 deer, 4-6 blade drops) has me looking at options. I am waiting on a replacement from hAvalon CS but if it doesn't work I will be in the market for another knife. I hadn't consider adding a boning knife or two to the kill kit. They weigh 4oz each so you are talking an oz more than a piranta and a few blades.

I can be pretty rough with knives myself, I have also broken several Havalon blades trying to pop joints loose or while boning out quarters. For gutting, skinning and caping I have no complaints with the Havalon at all, having a fresh razor blade is hard to beat. But they are easy to get carried away with and start putting unnecessary slashes and gouges into meat when breaking animals down. Then factor in breaking blades and having to swap them out with bloody, greasy hands and I've come close to sticking myself a few times with them and we all know one of those blades is probably not stopping till it hits bone. Having a boning knife that can take some abuse is better in my opinion. It's a weight penalty I will take just for the convenience it provides.

I've also thought about carrying a 6'' boning knife for day hunts, but I don't like the profile for skinning, so that would have me carrying two knives.
I will say since switching to an OE replaceable blade knife my Havalon has never been used.

darpoh

FNG
Been trying out of couple different knives for processing this year and the 6" victorinox has worked out the best so far.