Butchering Station

frankrb3

WKR
What are you guys using as a platform to do all your butchering on? Countertop, folding table, stainless table, tail gate, garage floor? I live in an apartment and am limited to a small section of counter top which seems less than ideal. I was wondering what works for everyone else.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
6' long plastic folding table for me. And I have a spot right next to it for hanging quarters. Cut pieces off the quarters and process on the table

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Same 6ft plastic folding table. I try to use a cutting board on top of the table but it doesn't always happen. It still cleans pretty easily. I also picked up 4 big 'winco lugs' from a local resteraunt supply to separate the meat into different groups once cut, they're about 5x cheaper and bigger than the ones LEM sells and can still fit in my ice chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kustom

FNG
I use a folding plastic table as well, I put down paper to help with cleanup, a few cheap cutting boards and some tubs for bits.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
We bought 2 8x4 sheets of UHMV?(cutting board material) and just topped the counters and a table in the garage. The table rolls so it is easy to move as well. My father in law built a meat locker that is about 4'x8' and 9' tall and it has an AC unit with a koolbot installed so the temp stays around 39 degrees for as long as we want to hang the meat. As far as a sink goes I snagged a big L shaped stainless sink off a job that was going to get tossed and I made some legs for it. We have it set up outside and have the faucet hooked up to the hose. I am lucky to have a father in law that has a nice butchering setup.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Some day I'd like to get a stainless steel table and stainless sink. I think i'm going to get a folding plastic table for this up coming season since I'll still be in the same apartment.

Roy68

WKR
Folding tables, butcher block table, uhmw (ultra high molecular weight) cutting boards.

Check out COPE PLASTICS, they have mis-cuts and drops of UMW &UHMW that you can purchase. Same stuff high quality poly cutting boards are made of. You can cut the stuff down to size with a circular saw and a plastic blade. Cost per sqft is way cheaper than buying large cutting boards from a retail store. Their inventory changes often so you have to be patient.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a folding table and large cutting boards in my garage. I normally debone everything in the field so it's pretty clean and ready to process when I get it home. I also grind most of it.

WKR
Boned out in the field. Trimmed, cut, ground, and packaged in the kitchen.

One "trick" I use is I have some big flat reusable freezer packs that are the same size as the Lem tubs. I put each tub on top of those freezer packs and it keeps the meat so cold it hurts my hands after a while.

I find that I'm alot more thorough when I'm not racing through the job because I'm worried about temps/spoilage as much. I only have to rush to be done by the time Mrs406 gets home from work :)
The bleach smell always gives me away...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Roy68

WKR
I like that idea 406 regarding the ice packs. When we process deer there are usually 8-10 and we do them all in one shot. Keeping things cold can be a challenge for us if it's not below freezing outside. This idea may get me to let go of some cash and try the Artic Ice packs

WKR
I like that idea 406 regarding the ice packs. When we process deer there are usually 8-10 and we do them all in one shot. Keeping things cold can be a challenge for us if it's not below freezing outside. This idea may get me to let go of some cash and try the Artic Ice packs
Check this stuff out
TechniIceAmerica.com: Home of the High Tech Ice Replacement
I've been using it for years. It ships dry so that part is cheap.
You can cut into any size. I cut vac seal bags sized for the bottom of my coolers, hydrated the tech ice, and then sealed them up. Did small ones with the scraps. That was 5 years ago and they're still going strong and they get abused on the river from spring to fall as well as regular use all year long.

Highly recommended

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
A traditional, maple butcher's table with casters. -it's a prized possession that I got from an estate sell.

5132991e3af40ec2a464d495e7790784.jpg

Poser, that block is cool.

I just use the top of my chest freezer. It's the perfect height, and metal so clean up and sanitizing is easy. I have a work bench next to it that I stack wrapped packages on, then they go right back into the freezer.

You can make it work with your counter top if that's what you're limited to. Maybe use a cheap plastic table cloth that you can throw away when you're done, and a few cutting boards.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I use tubs, giant metal mixing bowls, and a large cutting board I got from a restaurant supply shop. Tubs help separate cuts, mixing bowl for grind (large surface area makes it efficient to cool meat before grinding), cutting board is bigger than my kitchen counter top so that helps.

I am planning on putting a UHMW top on a new-to-me workbench that I just installed in the garage. Double duty as a shop bench and butcher table!

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
For this season I might try to get a large piece of UHMV and cut it to fit my counter top. This way I can a huge area to cut on and blood isn't running off of a small cutting boards when I go to work on large pieces of meat. That or one of those plastic tables so I can set it up anywhere. I still like to see what everyone else likes to use. I wouldn't mind trying to build my own maple butchers block like the one Poser posted. That thing is sweet, and would be awesome to roll out for butchering.

I have a 4X8 table on wheels that has a melamine top. It is about counter height so its comfortable to stand at and work. I have a 2X4 and 1X3 UHMV board plus some smaller ones. This table allows 2-4 people to work comfortably. Typically, I am deboning / breaking down, and who ever is helping is doing the trimming.

rayporter

WKR
i have an old counter top from a kitchen remodel that is 8 ft long. we put folding legs on it and then set a bucket under the hole where the sink was for scraps.

2 guys can work at once.