Butt Ugly! But sentimental! UPDATED!

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Because the high level shooters have sponsors and "good" wood bow makers don't sponsor! Metal risers don't make a more accurate bow, they make a more tunable bow that can be shot in a more accurate aiming style easier! IE: fixed crawl etc. while still having a tuned arrow
Lmao, yeah you bet. The fact that you can't see the irony in what you just posted is hilarious. I got nothing against a wood bow. I own a half dozen. But they can't hold a candle to a metal riser. Period. Name one measurable way they are better. You can't.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t seem very fun.
I am. I'm hammered drunk right now. Just came in from the fire and shot off 600 bucks worth of fireworks just to watch my kids smile. Still got all my fingers, so it was a good night

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
Lmao, yeah you bet. The fact that you can't see the irony in what you just posted is hilarious. I got nothing against a wood bow. I own a half dozen. But they can't hold a candle to a metal riser. Period. Name one measurable way they are better. You can't.
They aren't ugly and they aren't metal and that is measurable in my eye whether it is in yours are not, and except when I very first started shooting, and once I got good enough to occasionally place in a tournament, I've only been outplaced one time by a guy shooting a metal riser and that was by Aron Snyder and I think he was shooting a Buffalo or Satori then, and he was beat by a wood bow. If you are like me and don't want to shoot a crawl or even 3 under then a metal riser isn't an automatic improvement and I own a few of them. Now I will give this up, when you start talking about really long target models, they probably are better because there's no twisting in the riser and it's a longer more stable platform etc, top that off with low draw weight limbs, hard to beat that. But I don't hunt with those.

Btaylor

WKR
Wood doesn't have a soul either. It's wood. Name one category that actually has to do with the accuracy of a bow that metal is worse than wood at when it comes to a riser.

If you're a romanticist, that's fine but let's not be silly. Wood is an interior riser material in every measurable statistic that matters.
Wood lives and breathes, it sings and dances. I am not qualified to say whether it actually has soul or not but it certainly has the pre-requisites. The argument is that metal is superior because it is not affected by weather, it doesnt flex or twist like wood. Not all woods are created equal like all metals are not created equal. I would venture a guess that a lignum vitae riser would account for itself quite nicely when compared to a metal riser. It is way less enjoyable to hold a metal riser on a cold day too. Bottom line though is the fact that only a very small percentage of people could actually shoot the difference between wood and metal, the same as most cant shoot the difference between a well built wood arrow and carbon. Maybe the biggest difference is that about anyone can build their own wood bow at home. Virtually no one can build a metal bow at the house. There is something entirely different about hunting with stuff you built. You say it has no soul, well I would argue that my bow has plenty of my soul in it. Same as the wood arrows I am building or the strings I twist up and shoot on my bow or the turkey feathers I stripped and ground to make the fletching. The weapon I take into the woods this year very much has my soul in it. I cant say that about any metal bow. I can certainly kill with them and have plenty but all they will ever be is a tool. And that is a ok.

Ddog

WKR
Never saw a metal riser that wasn't butt-ugly. I understand the sentiment, though. Good luck with it!

Kindo

WKR
If you insist on going ugly with a metal riser bow, then don't do it half assed! Think I have my deer hunting setup figured out for this fall! Pimped it out with some seal skin on the shelf and strike plate and glued the grip on, stole wife's Great Northern quiver, it attached nicely on the riser. Don't know what it draws at 31", marked 45#@28", sends a 500gr arrow at 170fps! This isn't it, but I had one exactly like it when I was a kid, first real bow, actually have two of them, got my first archery turkey and fish with the other one, but it's in rougher shape!
You ever mess with any other old metal riser take downs? I just acquired a pile of stuff from a buddy who is helping a friend offload some old bows and arrows. I’ve got an old Shakespeare TD in a wooden box and a Ben Pearson Flame Hunter that has a velvet covering over the entire riser. 🤷‍♀️
Obviously, pictures would help but I literally threw it all in my vehicle over lunch and haven’t had a chance yet. I’ll add some later this evening.

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
You ever mess with any other old metal riser take downs? I just acquired a pile of stuff from a buddy who is helping a friend offload some old bows and arrows. I’ve got an old Shakespeare TD in a wooden box and a Ben Pearson Flame Hunter that has a velvet covering over the entire riser. 🤷‍♀️
Obviously, pictures would help but I literally threw it all in my vehicle over lunch and haven’t had a chance yet. I’ll add some later this evening.
Nah, I just like these because it's what I had as a kid, spent countless hours in a giant vacant lot near my home in West Texas chasing quail and rabbits, never got one but came super close, had no idea it was capable of taking big game, no internet in the seventies!

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I get that point too but thankful for no smart phones and internet.

You don't have to use the Internet if it bothers you.

@oldgoat I've been looking for one of them 76rs and a minute man. Missed a mint one a coupe months ago by a couple minutes.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t seem very fun.

Come on up to Northern Alberta when this covid thing is done and I'll light a bonfire after a day of chasing 20lb plus pike on the lake and spin the cap off a good bottle of Canadian whiskey and you can tell me all about how little fun I am to be around. 😘😁

I have a Bear 76’er that’s a mid-40’s pound draw weight at 30”. It isn’t blazing fast, but it’s quiet, smooth and the arrows seem to always hit right where I’m looking. It’ll be in my hands for a few hunts this fall.

I love & admire my 3 Palmer grand slams & they shoot great for what they are. However when I go hunting it’s my butt ugly Cd Risers with Morrison limbs. The whole package is ugly, heavy ( which I like) but the performance is the reason for these ugly bows. The ability to drop weight & gain performance is unequaled!

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
I love & admire my 3 Palmer grand slams & they shoot great for what they are. However when I go hunting it’s my butt ugly Cd Risers with Morrison limbs. The whole package is ugly, heavy ( which I like) but the performance is the reason for these ugly bows. The ability to drop weight & gain performance is unequaled!
I have a 31" draw, all bows have good performance when I shoot them

You missed my point entirely. At 31 you could shoot a 45lb Big Hook & get the performance of an 55/60 conventional recurve. That was the point not your draw length!

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
You missed my point entirely. At 31 you could shoot a 45lb Big Hook & get the performance of an 55/60 conventional recurve. That was the point not your draw length!
You missed my point, I can shoot a piece of junk at 31" and get the performance somebody pulling more on a big hook at a short draw length, I've owned some big hooks, wife still shoots them for the reasons you state!