Butt Ugly! But sentimental! UPDATED!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like metal risers but that’s just a preference regarding looks.
All the time something could sway us, especially if it’s some sort of sentimental for you.
Myself I don’t like Bear bows, never saw the fascination with em but to each his own. I hadn’t shot a Bear bow in prob 30 years.
So my uncle passed last year. He was real similar and tight w me. My cousin one day when I was at his house working, came out back and said he wanted to give me something.
His dads old Bear recurve. Asked if I’d shoot a deer with it, was too heavy for him. I gladly took it and I shoot it almost exclusive right now.
Do what makes you happy, I’d rather see you shoot that than something with a gun stock and trigger so God bless ya and best of luck with it

Pic of my uncles bow one of the first shots after I made string with it. It’s not pretty either spray painted black but sure is beautiful

Attachments

• 5A92303A-CFDC-4487-8534-5C47D2AD6C3F.jpeg
    5A92303A-CFDC-4487-8534-5C47D2AD6C3F.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 28
When I was at Snyder's last fall I shot his ILF. I'd never shot one and those cracked out Uukah (spelling?) limbs are crazy! The hold weight was lighter than the peak draw weight. And talk about fast. He ended up giving me a Satori with some hot rod Hoyt limbs to take back and give to my hunting partner, who after seeing me tag two elk with a trad bow decided to come to the dark side. Why Snyder is a class act!

Not sure I'd ever go to an ILF but they sure can spit an arrow! Maybe if I had to do it over again I think starting with an ILF would have been a smart move!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
When I was at Snyder's last fall I shot his ILF. I'd never shot one and those cracked out Uukah (spelling?) limbs are crazy! The hold weight was lighter than the peak draw weight. And talk about fast. He ended up giving me a Satori with some hot rod Hoyt limbs to take back and give to my hunting partner, who after seeing me tag two elk with a trad bow decided to come to the dark side. Why Snyder is a class act!

Not sure I'd ever go to an ILF but they sure can spit an arrow! Maybe if I had to do it over again I think starting with an ILF would have been a smart move!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, Snyder is one of the most generous dudes I know, gave my wife his Antero pack at a 3d shoot back when he first started shooting trad!
ILF doesn't make bows fast, actually makes them slower than identical limbs bolted down or one piece, just makes them really adjustable and easy to take down! I learned that from Mike at Dryad.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
So our season just started and tonight was my first night out. 45 mins in I had already seen 4 does. This one gave me a shot n I promised my cuz I’d shoot a deer w his dads bow. I felt I needed to do that right quick. Not the biggest but it was a memorable drag out thinking of my uncle carrying his bow

Attachments

• 5B6FE0C0-8A0D-45FB-B1B9-E9FF63D292B7.jpeg
    5B6FE0C0-8A0D-45FB-B1B9-E9FF63D292B7.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
So our season just started and tonight was my first night out. 45 mins in I had already seen 4 does. This one gave me a shot n I promised my cuz I’d shoot a deer w his dads bow. I felt I needed to do that right quick. Not the biggest but it was a memorable drag out thinking of my uncle carrying his bow
I only get one deer tag, well I could get a second WT only doe tag, but the numbers are so down I'm lucky to get one deer to begin with! Congrats on a beautiful deer!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I only get one deer tag, well I could get a second WT only doe tag, but the numbers are so down I'm lucky to get one deer to begin with! Congrats on a beautiful deer!
Thanks bud, I hunt multiple states and have lots tags. The state I live in has an early season that you must shoot a doe before you can use a buck tag so now I’m good w that

Last edited:
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
Well this plan hit a big ass pothole last week, fast flight string I was using caused a complete limb tip failure, had another set of limbs and actually another riser, swapped them out and built a B50 string, then I had really tight nock fit and couldn't get rid of nock high flight, finally thought to check tiller and it was at 1/4" negative, swapped limbs top to bottom and it went positive 3/8" and my nock flight was even but arrow was stiff, built another string 2 strands smaller and tried a few different arrows and tips and ended up one spine lower than with the fast flight but about same arrow speed. Still need to go shoot some broadheads somewhere but judging from the arrow flight this morning,I think they will be good! 172 fps at 10gpp.

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_105928866.jpg
    IMG_20211007_105928866.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 8
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
So, no I didn't get anything deer hunting, seen a Whopper couple of times but no shot opportunity. Did whack a snowshoe rabbit though with it hunting small game in the mountains a couple weeks ago before I went deer hunting. I did make the bow even uglier though! Almost destroyed it twice in one day! Last Saturday night I put the bow in the case on top of my 4 runner to make room to sleep, then before I fell asleep I heard the pitter patter of rain so I jumped out and threw it underneath the 4runner and had the presence of mind to push it far enough under so if I forgot it in the morning I probably wouldn't hit it, well I forgot but stopped after moving probably less than 6 inches before I remembered, no harm no foul! Hunted most of the day and decided I'd run into town after the evening sit and get supper and fill up with gas. Threw the bow on top the 4runner and changed clothes and headed off, made it the mile plus of dirt road and turned onto the blacktop and gave it some gas, got up to around fifty at least and heard a loud ping like a rock hitting the truck and thought what the hell, then my heart sank and I threw on the dome light and looked in the back and no bow in sight and my heart sank even more, then there was no place to turn around, road dropped straight down on both sides, go a little farther and see a runway into a field and get turned around and race back! I see the bow and jump out and run to get it out of the other lane literally a couple seconds before another car passes. Bow looks intact, but the string had completely reversed itself to the other side of the bow and is caught up in the quiver, arrows are fine etc, I throw it in the truck and go back to camp, took some wrestling to get the string off the quiver and out of the string nocks. I then strung it up and drew it back a number of times with no crackling noises etc. Checked brace and it was fine, went hunting next morning and took practice shot as soon as it got light, arrow flew good and I hit what I was aiming at. Midday I shot it a lot and all was well. Got home the next day and feathered the roadrash out with some 400 grit, I sealed it with some contact cement I had, figured it would be flexible, seemed to work good. Tough old bow, don't think a wood laminate bow would survive that, I think the shock absorber doinker on the end of the stabilizer hit first and the bow slapped down flat which helped it survive I'm sure. First picture of bow is post repair.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_222510508.jpg
    IMG_20211128_222510508.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211122_110812665_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211122_110812665_HDR.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211122_110757928_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211122_110757928_HDR.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211029_173133348.jpg
    IMG_20211029_173133348.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Oh man OG, were you trying to replicate those old Oregon bow commercials where they drive over them?

Thankfully it only cost me a favorite coffee cup decades ago to learn the lesson of not setting stuff on my truck…..

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
Oh man OG, were you trying to replicate those old Oregon bow commercials where they drive over them?

Thankfully it only cost me a favorite coffee cup decades ago to learn the lesson of not setting stuff on my truck…..
I've religiously set it on the hood for years so I'd see it before I drove off, heard enough horror stories of bows on the ground getting run over, some reason this year it kept ending up on the roof.