Butte Montana Living

2ski

WKR
The south end of town looks nice! First thing I'd do if I wanted to get the skinny on what's going on in town is take the newspaper. One of my buddies in Hamilton tells me that Missoula's where they keep the liberals, but it does have Big Sky brewing though!
Screw Big Sky. In Missoula Draught works, kettle house and great burn are all superior to big sky. Draught works. Best brewery in Missoula.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
thanks guys. My wife and I are a little more comfortable moving forward now. I think we will plan a weekend trip out to the area and drive around. See what the layout is. How close are the mountains to the Butte area? I know when we were in Jackson Hole and just south of Jackson the mountains were extremely close and easy to get to. I really don't want to live on high prairie or plains
Butte is at the bottom of a mountain. Look up our Lady of the Rockies. You can see her from Butte. Think of it this way. Missoula is by the mountains. You think the elevation is kind of high. The Clark fork which flows through Missoula starts in butte as silver bow Creek. Butte is high. Probably the highest bugger town in MT. It's higher than Bozeman.

Screw Big Sky. In Missoula Draught works, kettle house and great burn are all superior to big sky. Draught works. Best brewery in Missoula.

Amen to that. Best individual beer: Cold Smoke from Kettlehouse or Bayern's Doppelbock. Best overall brewery: either Draught Works or Great Burn. Big Sky is solid but there are several in the same town that are higher on my list. Too many good breweries is a great problem to have.

Regarding Butte: I can't speak much for the town itself, but you are close to great fly fishing with the Big Hole, Beaverhead, upper Clark Fork and upper Rock Creek (and all of their tributaries) close by. Hiking in the Pintlers. Good skiing at Discovery and elk hunting in any direction from town. You'll be set for outdoor opportunities.

Boomer51

FNG
It was a great place to live. Good people and tons of outdoor opportunities literally right out your door. Access to all the public land that you'll want.

Gumbo

WKR
Butte is pretty rough around the edges. But it has a lot of charm in terms of historic architecture. It is a pretty neat community, but I would agree with those who have said there is a fair amount of crime and it is fairly run down. It can be cold, but so is anywhere else in MT at times. It has to be better than PA and access to public hunting and fishing is great. Elk hunting in the area is really good, provided you aren't a top-end trophy guy. They have a solid archery shop too. There are several other smaller communities around, Anaconda, Whitehall, Boulder, Twin Bridges, but commutes in the winter can be bad because you have passes, canyons, and wind-swept areas to negotiate from them.

2ski

WKR
If you want to live in a town that refers to its people as Rats......and I'm not joking. They wear it like a badge of honor. Butte Rats. One of the youth travel all-star baseball teams is called the Rats, the other is Dirty Water. I'm not making this up.

Other things: There is a 3 Bears Alaska store in Butte right off one exit. Think of it as a smaller version of Costco without the membership and they sell guns. Like good prices on guns. I guess its the only one outside of Alaska.

Someone mentioned Twin Bridges. That's a neat little town with some good fly-fishing. Winston fly rods are based out of there. Again, you have to drive bad roads sometime to get to Butte, but....

Someone also mentioned not living in Deer Lodge because of shopping. I mean if that's what you're into.....

I really like the Butte/Anaconda area. Its just too bad that Butte and Anaconda are there. LOL

I spent St. Patties day in Butte, many years ago. From what I can remember of that night, which is very little, they know how to party in Butte.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
all of this info is great guys. I really appreciate it. I dont necessarily have to live in Butte, but that is where work would be. I don't mind a 45min commute to get into more "family friendly" communities.

A lot of the houses that I have been looking at seem to have lots of solar panels, as well as horse stalls. Coming from Pittsburgh Ive never had the need to ride a horse to get into good hunting ground. I'm guessing that it may be a necessity out in the Butte area? Do most hunters "rent" horses and mules for their hunts, or do they own them?

2ski

WKR
all of this info is great guys. I really appreciate it. I dont necessarily have to live in Butte, but that is where work would be. I don't mind a 45min commute to get into more "family friendly" communities.

A lot of the houses that I have been looking at seem to have lots of solar panels, as well as horse stalls. Coming from Pittsburgh Ive never had the need to ride a horse to get into good hunting ground. I'm guessing that it may be a necessity out in the Butte area? Do most hunters "rent" horses and mules for their hunts, or do they own them?
No. Most people don't have horses. And you don't need them in the Butte area to hunt.

But we all rode our horses to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow. That was before we got running water and electricity in MT 3 years ago....

I kid. We hunt the same as everyone else. Some have horses. Most don't.

WyoElk

WKR
No. Most people don't have horses. And you don't need them in the Butte area to hunt.

But we all rode our horses to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow. That was before we got running water and electricity in MT 3 years ago....

I kid. We hunt the same as everyone else. Some have horses. Most don't.

Lucky you had horses, we only had Kleenex box's 😁

Tex68w

WKR
I'd kill to move to Montana for a few years, unfortunately I'd struggle to find work in my field there and if I did it'd pay way too little to justify the move.

hobbes

WKR
I travel down to Butte for work occasionally. I live and work in Helena, but know a lot of folks that live and work in Butte. As far as I know, they all love Butte. I came here from Colorado and before that I had 36 years in rural Southern IL. If I was moving west from PA, I'd jump all over a chance to live in Butte. Compared to back east, you can't imagine the outdoor opportunities that will surround you.

Tope

FNG
My folks are from Butte. Moved to Deer Lodge when I was in grade school. Great place to grow up. Minutes to world class adventures others pay thousands for. Can't wait to move back when I finish this contract in Utah.
Go Wardens!

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Well I stumbled upon this thread reading butte reviews on google. Never thought to ask here! I was offered a job with north west energy as a lineman. Coming from Southern Illinois it’s be a big change! Still can’t quite wrap my head around the winters. But I despise the heat and humidity here and want more opportunities outdoors.
some of the reviews talk about the meth problem but that seems to be the plague of rural America or is it really that much worse?
some say locals aren’t welcoming and I could see that a little but I’m a keep to myself guy and not sure that’s a concern for me.

Well I stumbled upon this thread reading butte reviews on google. Never thought to ask here! I was offered a job with north west energy as a lineman. Coming from Southern Illinois it’s be a big change! Still can’t quite wrap my head around the winters. But I despise the heat and humidity here and want more opportunities outdoors.
some of the reviews talk about the meth problem but that seems to be the plague of rural America or is it really that much worse?
some say locals aren’t welcoming and I could see that a little but I’m a keep to myself guy and not sure that’s a concern for me.

Where are you from in southern Illinois? I grew up in Centralia. I'm in Utah now though.