Butte Montana Living

I don't know the current dining restrictions in butte, but hte top hat or derby something like that has a great steak. I am not a deep fried guy, but johns pork chop sandwich is supposedly good. i thought it was ok, but i am not a deep fry guy.

the steak house in anaconda has a good reputation.

2ski

WKR
I have been in butte only 2 weeks now but it sure is amazing! Housing market is absolutely crazy. almost no houses for sale outside of town at all and crazy high compared to illinois. But I've been taking it all in and hiking in the snow daily. excited about my opportunity's
I had one under contract and backed out but then had another one under contract right away. Jumped on it. But you're right. Not much coming on now. Where are you staying while trying to buy?

Lingling

FNG
Lived in Butte for a bit while in college. The rough reputation is deserved in proper context. When I was a poor college student in poor uptown areas I had my wrought iron gate and fence stolen in stages. Lost a mountain bike. Watched a toddler in diapers smoke cigarettes while hiding between me and the neighbors house while frequently watching his mom smoke meth out the side window of her house across the street. Bartended and definitely saw a lot of fights and a different culture of let them fight it out. Saw a guy get his orbital broke in a wild west full on bar brawl where literally the entire bar fought, chairs thrown, tables flipped no cops even after the ambulance came. And yes it was related to the boxing scene. Definitely colder than other areas.

If you have adult relocation money and don't hang out in bars you won't notice that much at all. Its cold but the icefishing is as good as the summer fishing. Elk, deer, and birds are all available. Some of my very fondest wildlife encounters happened while living here...I saw a wolverine cross the road while searching for Golden trout south of wise river. Had a moose walk across the ice right by my hut on Georgetown lake by the outlet on a quiet, snowy day. The best is when a single wolf stared me down hard from 20 yards a few years before the Yellowstone wolf population connected with the Idaho and Canadian populations. Very scary, entirely different than bear encounters. Didn't happen at one of the city's water supply lakes which definitely doesn't have a spectacular westslope cutthroat population.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
we have found a shity rental in town. We have 2 labs that were outside dogs at our country home that came in of a evening. moving with them was quite the challenge. very few people will let you rent with pets!
We are looking at building a home now but that's going to take awhile and more money than i hoped!

WKR
If you can stretch your legs out to Philipsburg, that's where I'd buy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
See if you can find a rental in anaconda for now. I looked at a nice house for sale on Amherst today thats listed at 250. Probably under contract by now. But it was nice.

2ski

WKR
There was a house on State. No fence but big yard. The garage should be torn down and rebuilt. And probably offered 30k less for it. Don't know of its available.

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I won't be buying a house in town if there is anyway i can afford it. We have a good income and sizable down payment. And i have to live within 15mi of the shop for my job. That keeps me away from where we would really prefer to live. I like anaconda a lot. Where i would be looking if i could. small town feel and amazing views and access literally at the edge of town.

WKR
I won't be buying a house in town if there is anyway i can afford it. We have a good income and sizable down payment. And i have to live within 15mi of the shop for my job. That keeps me away from where we would really prefer to live. I like anaconda a lot. Where i would be looking if i could. small town feel and amazing views and access literally at the edge of town.
That changes things a little. There are some cool properties all over up near the pit. Yeah, it's weird, but I spent alot of time flying that area and I was really surprised at how cool it is, some really nice pockets.
And honestly, I'd rather live above the pit than below it.
You'll be right in the therapeutic cloud!

Just always remember- Butte is probably the easiest town in america to get into a fistfight. Often you will be the last person to know that you are getting into a fight. Being a middle aged regular joe doesn't automatically take you out of this reality. A 65 year old man will fight you in the perkins parking lot at 0530 if he feels slighted. A 17 year old will stand ground you didn't know that you violates at the quicky mart.
Its just the personality of the town. I love Butte, worked there for 3 years, and still live an hour away. But it is what it is (everyone's favorite saying). People saying it's not like that aren't being honest or are just so used to it that they are institutionalized.

If they haven't known you since 2nd grade you are "other" and that won't change for a very long time.
If you have kids they WILL have to fight at some point. They don't have to win but they cannot run. Its like that there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

if you get a chance, check out the mining museum. and even better if you can get the skit that they do.
the part about labor unions is pretty interesting.

2ski

WKR
Anaconda isn15 minutes away isn't it? Do Ramsey or Rocker maybe

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are all overreacting. All good in Butte America!

Attachments

• 47C10194-33A1-4A15-B51F-1A88822F8F55.jpeg
    47C10194-33A1-4A15-B51F-1A88822F8F55.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 69

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Housing all over vet MT is a little tough right now with all of the transplants moving in. Glad you made it. Like others have said, Ramsey-Rocker might be close enough or south east side of town doesn’t seem to bad.

Don’t forget to grab a maple bar from town talk bakery and to get beef from The meat block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
My daughter and her boyfriend are betting that Butte will be the next Bozeman. They’ve bought a building in downtown Butte to start up a business.
I look to see them move there in the near future.
I really like Butte.

Attachments

• 5CEA7291-F046-4FF8-A146-9036132FE5BC.jpeg
    5CEA7291-F046-4FF8-A146-9036132FE5BC.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 1C364A31-8C6E-4BE9-8BE3-D0D7179CDFC8.jpeg
    1C364A31-8C6E-4BE9-8BE3-D0D7179CDFC8.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 91

2ski

WKR
Housing all over vet MT is a little tough right now with all of the transplants moving in. Glad you made it. Like others have said, Ramsey-Rocker might be close enough or south east side of town doesn’t seem to bad.

Don’t forget to grab a maple bar from town talk bakery and to get beef from The meat block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dude. This. Towntalk is really good. But I stay away from donuts if I can.

Buuutt.....get handcut tenderloins with seasoning at the Meat Block. Hold your fingers apart and say this is how big I want them. "With seasoning" is the important part here. Holy moly they're good.

2ski

WKR
My daughter and her boyfriend are betting that Butte will be the next Bozeman. They’ve bought a building in downtown Butte to start up a business.
I really like Butte.
PM me the business. As a new to Butte person I'll support some other new to Butte people.

I really like Butte.
Best porkchop Sammy in Butte right there