butthole sandwiches in warmer weather or longer trips

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been a big fan of the bagel/peanut butter/bacon/honey sandwiches for quite some time, but recently went on a 8 day trip in some warmer weather and knew I could run into issues with pre-made sandwiches with that combination of factors.

My solution- medium sized flour tortillas, shelf stable precooked bacon (Hormel), individual packets of peanut butter (Jasons) and individual packets of honey (Nature Nate raw honey).

I would just build a sandwich daily. Everything kept very well, was easy to handle and was good tasting.

Calorie breakdown:

medium tortilla - 140
Jason's peanut butter packet- 210
Nature Nate honey packet- 50
3 slices pre-cooked bacon- 120

total 520 calories

Everything was sized perfectly for a medium tortilla

If you have some early season hunts come up, might be worth checking into; late season I'll continue to just build them at home

ahlgringo

WKR
Awesome!!! Thx for the idea

I have done em pre made a couple times. You are correct that at about day 4 they get a little funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I find them less "chokable" on a tortilla, also find them better on small bagels vs regular/large ones.

BDRam16

WKR
@mtwarden how do you handle the precooked bacon? Say the package has 12 pieces or so and you’re only using 3 per sandwich. Are you taking them out of the package at home and into ziplock baggies or something else? This is exactly the recipe I have been looking for.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden how do you handle the precooked bacon? Say the package has 12 pieces or so and you’re only using 3 per sandwich. Are you taking them out of the package at home and into ziplock baggies or something else? This is exactly the recipe I have been looking for.

The ones I had were from Hormel, 10 to a pack. I left them sealed as is, on day 2 (we started late on day 1) I opened one pack and then put the remaining bacon in a ziplock. I was using 2-3 slices/sandwich. When I ran out of the first pack I opened the second and repeated.

My reasoning was that the original packaging/sealing rendered them shelf stable, so wanted them to remained seal until needed.

A shorter trip I would have any problem just repackaging them in a ziplock to begin with.

The bacon was absolutely fine on day 8, that's in reasonably warm weather.

Good tip on the tortilla, I can't choke down a dry bagel with peanut butter. I like to have a tortilla with peanut butter and then I'll throw a fruit leather in the middle. Kinda tastes like a PB&J. Easy to make before the hunt and eat in the field. You can bring a pack of tortillas and get those Justin's PB packs to make them in the field, too.

Good tip on the tortilla, I can't choke down a dry bagel with peanut butter. I like to have a tortilla with peanut butter and then I'll throw a fruit leather in the middle. Kinda tastes like a PB&J. Easy to make before the hunt and eat in the field. You can bring a pack of tortillas and get those Justin's PB packs to make them in the field, too.
You can buy single serve jelly packets on Amazon

Randle

WKR
Thanks for posting, I am going to try the tortilla this year. tortilla, PB, bacon premade anf then add KFC jelly packet at lunch. The bagel ones are just toooooo dry to choke down.

Last edited: